Need help with driver & star for tripple XP-G

Bender

Newly Enlightened
My goal is to make an efficient & light weight bike light. I am thinking about going with triple emitters for better l/w. I really like the Carclo 10507 optics from cutter but I don't know where to find a triple XP-G R5 star or suitable driver. My power source would likely be 2x 18650.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
:thinking:

Use the search function @ Cutter

Enter XPGMR8SER

As for the driver, I would go for a MaxFlex

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you wire the triple in parallel, then you can use a buck driver like a hipCC or Shark Buck. Wiring the XP-Gs in series in theory is the better option in terms of avoiding problems with balancing LED Vfs. As tx101 suggested, a MaxFlex boost driver is a good choice.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
Thanks I would have never guessed that's what I am looking for based on the part number.

:thinking:

Use the search function @ Cutter

Enter XPGMR8SER

As for the driver, I would go for a MaxFlex

saltytri

Enlightened
Road or MTB? If MTB or if your goal is to build a very compact light, a triple XP-E star with the Carclo optic you mentioned is a good choice. For road, throw is more important and you might get better throw with discrete optics like Cree 8 degree units mated to XR-E emitters or with reflectors. Just a thought. All these options are available at Cutter.

Ditto on the Maxflex.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
This would be for MTB use on a helmet. I would like to keep weight low, size small, and efficiency high. I realize using the 10507 with an XP-G will produce a wider beam than with an XP-E.

I may end up using DX parts as my first build and then try something more advanced.

Road or MTB? If MTB or if your goal is to build a very compact light, a triple XP-E star with the Carclo optic you mentioned is a good choice. For road, throw is more important and you might get better throw with discrete optics like Cree 8 degree units mated to XR-E emitters or with reflectors. Just a thought. All these options are available at Cutter.

Ditto on the Maxflex.

saltytri

Enlightened
Have you checked the MTB light forum? There is a wealth of info there on exactly the kind of light to want to build. If you don't already know about it and can't find it, let me know and I'll try to help. I'm away from home and my collection of bookmarks and I can't dredge up the URL easily on my iPhone.

Bender

Newly Enlightened
Have you checked the MTB light forum? There is a wealth of info there on exactly the kind of light to want to build. If you don't already know about it and can't find it, let me know and I'll try to help. I'm away from home and my collection of bookmarks and I can't dredge up the URL easily on my iPhone.

I assume you are talking about the MTBR DIY light forum? There is a wealth of knowledge between this place and MTBR so I have been doing my research.

Do you guys have any better ideas for housing than a steer tube? I found DX sku 13741 but its a bit bigger than I was looking for.