Does Malkoff have plans to make a complete Surefire LED head (not a drop-in)

boosterboy

Enlightened
We all love the drop-ins, but does Gene have plans to make a complete LED conversion head for the Surefire C-heads and E-heads.

I just figured it would be more compact, have better heatsinking, and not require any additional shims etc.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why, the whole crux of the matter is the modular drop-in. I don't ever get anything anymore than cannot do a swap easily. What do you do when the built-in module becomes obsolete and you cannot (easily) swap it.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
We all love the drop-ins, but does Gene have plans to make a complete LED conversion head for the Surefire C-heads and E-heads.

I just figured it would be more compact, have better heatsinking, and not require any additional shims etc.
This is exactly the route that SF appears to be going for their 6P LED replacement, called the 'Stratum'. The head design is exactly as you describe, from what I read in the SF 'new lights' thread currently running.

Last edited:

boosterboy

Enlightened
Why, the whole crux of the matter is the modular drop-in. I don't ever get anything anymore than cannot do a swap easily. What do you do when the built-in module becomes obsolete and you cannot (easily) swap it.

I think a lot of people buy LED technology with hopes that they don't have to replace often. I don't think it costs that much more in metal to machine a bezel and cut some threads. I would be more than willing to pay the difference.

Not everyone is tracking what Bin their LED or color temp the emitter is, some people just want something that throws a boatload of photons for a long time. They don't want to have to fidget with shims and question the compatibility with their light tube.

carrot

Flashaholic
I think that it would create an inventory nightmare. Multiply the number of different drop-ins that Malkoff sells by the number of different color bezels you'd need to satisfy everybody (in the least, black type II, satin grey type II, natural HA, black HA) and you just end up with too many variants cluttering the shelves...