My 1st (and 2nd) EDC has been ordered. Thanks all.

ky70

Banned
Hello Folks,

After an exhausting search to find the right pocket size EDC, I finally ordered the Quark mini 123 from Going Gear (and I threw in the ITP A3). Throughout this seemingly never ending search over the past 2 weeks, I strongly considered buying the Zebra SC30, Olight T10, ITP SC1/C9, Liteflux LF3XT, Quark 123, Dereelight C2H among others. In the end I went with the mini 123 as I loved the size/power ratio of this R5 CR123 powered light and I really like having the blinky functions (strobe, SOS, beacon), BUT hidden (I didn't want to cycle through them with normal usage).

My budget was $60, and since the mini 123 came in underbudget, I also grabbed the ITP A3. I'm very excited about getting these two lights and look forward to putting them into action in the urban jungle.

Now I have to continue researching the best CR123 and AAA battery options for these two lights (your suggestions are appreciated).

Thank you all for your great contributions to the knowledgebase of this forum...all of your great posts (past and present) were instrumental in my quest to the find the right light for me. I'm as green as they get when it comes to flashlights, and though I still have much to learn, I know so much more than I did before I discovered this forum.

Warp

Enlightened
Those are two very good choices.

I don't think there is a whole lot in the way of battery options for these lights. I'm pretty sure you want to avoid putting an RCR into the MiNi so primary lithiums it is. For the iTP I simply settled on regular old energizer lithiums as it is a backup that won't see a whole lot of use and no other option I have sen lasts as long. You could go NiMH rechargeable, though. Eneloops are all the rage at the moment.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
For the MiNi 123 i'd go with AW rcr123's, even though they aren't recommended i hate the idea of a modern flashlight that doesn't use rechargeable cells, it just seems wrong and wasteful somehow.. :thumbsdow Maybe it's just me, but i am the kind of person that always wants a fully charged cell whenever i leave the house, which just isn't practical if you have to replace primaries every time you use them.. In my opinion the mini 123 should handle them fine, but i wouldn't want to be the guy responsible for breaking your first edc, so its up to you :whistle:

For the itp then lsd Nimh is definately the way to go, eneloops are always popular around here, and to be honest you can't really go wrong with them, but in the AAA battery size the GP Recyko's have actually proven to have a higher capacity than eneloops, so i'd go for them, especially if youre in the UK, then you can get them posted to your door for £3.89 from a certain auction website :thumbsup:

ky70

Banned
Thanks folks for the suggestions. I was just at a local store and looked in on some cr123s just to see the cost and yikes! They wanted $9 for 1 Duracel Ultra. Internet shopping is our friend.