3 AAA Battery Cage No Way!

ragweed

Enlightened
I was working on a freinds computer swapping out the hard drives & dropped my light on the table. It was about an 8 inch drop if that. I picked up the light to see what I was working on & it was flickering real bad. I unscrewed the back & took out the battery cage. Sure enough the batteries were ajar. Snapped them back in place & all was fine. My point is, if this had been an emergency situation would you ever trust this setup again? Not me! No more lights with battery cages for me. Thanks for reading my rant.

Magic Matt

Enlightened
That depends on the fit of the battery cage in the body, and how well the batteries are gripped. I'm quite surprised there was enough room in the body for the cells to be disloged. If there's enough space, perhaps a hair band around the cells for a little extra retention?

NigelBond

Newly Enlightened
I've have some 3 aaa lights and i would never buy one again, but i gotta say there should be no way the batteries can come dislodged inside of the light like that. In my lights there just isn't room for that to happen.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another problem with battery cages is that they are often made of weak plastic and break when the light is dropped. Even if the light is not dropped, the battery holders are under constant tension from battery springs and can crack eventually.

ragweed

Enlightened
yep.. that is correct! In all fairness this light was made by a middle of the road company. I have two of their other lights with out battery cages with no problems at all. I do not like to bad mouth any company unless they really deserve it. The battery cage is the weak link IMHO.

Last edited:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Correct. Eight contact points to get dirty/go wrong as opposed to 2 for a single-AA light.

And, AAAs usually cost the same as AAs so why pay three times as much for the same amount of electricity ?

The big plus of the AAA cell is the small size for single cell lights. But those three-cell lights are bigger than most AA lights, wiping out their only benefit.

Dumb and dumber.

carrot

Flashaholic
The big plus of 3xAAA lights is that voltage is high enough to power a LED or several directly. That means none of that "useless" electronics and output regulation business that all those high end lights are so obsessed with.

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
The big plus of 3xAAA lights is that voltage is high enough to power a LED or several directly. That means none of that "useless" electronics and output regulation business that all those high end lights are so obsessed with.

Directly driving LEDs are, imo, stupid. As the battery voltage drops, so does the light output. Non-regulated is like jumping 10 years back in technology - simply does not make sense.

Direct drive is for incandescent light in your home - like 50W bulbs etc.

Vesper

Enlightened
Directly driving LEDs are, imo, stupid. As the battery voltage drops, so does the light output. Non-regulated is like jumping 10 years back in technology - simply does not make sense.

Uh-oh

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I've gotten completely away from 3 battery lights for the reasons mentioned. Never had a battery holder problem.

Direct drive isn't totally bogus. Some regulated lights will just suddenly die when the voltage drops to a certain point. At least with DD you're not left in the dark, just the dim. A well designed light will drop into a DD "moon mode" when the battery gets weak.

Geoff

kramer5150

Flashaholic
All the 3AAA setups I own stink... you are not alone in your rant. Heck at least you got some use out of your light.

There was a while when I was getting AAA batteries for free at work, and I tried really hard to accept the 3AAA designs. But even then, their shortcomings on the job heavily outweighed the economics of it all.

carrot

Flashaholic

God I wish sarcasm was more easily sensed over the internet...

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Shoulda used these:

<sarcasm> . . . </sarcasm>

or perhaps the slightly milder:

<irony> . . . </irony>

lovecpf

AlexLED

Enlightened
Fully agree with all of you !!!
3xAAA lights ought to be extinguished !!!
Mechanical and electrical bogus.
1xAAA lights are much smaller and mostly as bright as those trio-monsters.

The main problem is, they tend to be cheaper ... so as long as there are people who just look at the price tag when making purchase decisions, I'm afraid 3xAAA plastic monsters will be produced .....
:mecry::mecry::mecry:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Yeah, cheaper until they have to replace the batteries.

Funny that kind of thinking - cheapskate on the light, but don't mind paying three times over for the batteries . . . :shrug:

Philabuster

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, cheaper until they have to replace the batteries.

Funny that kind of thinking - cheapskate on the light, but don't mind paying three times over for the batteries . . . :shrug:
I was guilty of purchasing a 3xAAA light at the auto parts store. :sick2: It was an impulse purchase for $2.50 while I was waiting in line. I used it for a total of 5 minutes when I got sick of the blue light and switched back to my Inova X1 V3.