LED 6P Drop In help

45Shooter

Newly Enlightened
OK new here and overwhelmed frankly....
This is worse than trying to figure out what motherboard and CPU to get.

I am planning on building two budget 6P lights to use on my M4 as weaponlights... Right now im looking at using the Solarforce L2P as hosts
but im not locked into that choice so if there is a better budget host feel free to advise.

On the drop ins I would like one for throw and one for Flood.
Having read on here off and on for a couple months and the drop in choices are insane... I cant find anything in one place that gives comprehensive information on which combination does what....
theres CREE that seems really popular and SST and a couple others that get attention here.....

Im LOST

BTW I currently own 6 surefires, 6p, 6z, 2 E2s and 2 M2s all are Icans and I am planning on switching them all over to LEDS with Rechargeable batts in the future but I would like to know what im buying before I start changing things.

Is there some place where I can compare the LED output to the Incan output.

TIA

Great forum BTW

Larry

carrot

Flashaholic
Malkoff and Nailbender are the only names you need to know.

For flood a Malkoff M61 or M60F would be ideal, or one of Nailbender's P7 or MC-E drop-ins. For throw, the M61 does an excellent job but the M60 does even better with its laser-like focus. Don't know which Nailbender throws the best...

dirtech

Enlightened
That l2p has a reverse clicky. I would go for a foward clicky if its going on a rifle. My .02.

stallion2

Enlightened
in a tactical size light i find that the XP-G's have the best balance of everything. Thrunite's dropins are pretty good. I just purchased a Dereelight DBS w/ an XP-G and was kinda disappointed w/ the reflector but their XP-G pill is outstanding! i paired it w/ a cheap OP reflector that came as part of an MC-E dropin from DX. Malkoff's are great. the 8 degree optic throws very well but has enough spill for close range...provided you have a way to dim it. Malkoff is pretty close to releasing some XP-G versions of his dropins, you may want to wait until those are available. if nothing else it should much easier to get the M30 or M60 at low cost on CPF market. since you have that many SF's then you would love the LX2 for throw. its not P60 but it still annihilates my Malkoff's.

carrot

Flashaholic
The LX2 annihilates the Malkoff M60? That thing must be a real beast... because the M60 has some incredible throw.

However, the M61 has instantly transformed any C-series light into my favorite light...

Greg G

Enlightened
You could do a Nailbender XP-G on one, and maybe another Nailbender SST-50 or MC-E on the other. You need good switches. I'd swap in, or get someone to do it for you, some McClicky switches.

stallion2

Enlightened
The LX2 annihilates the Malkoff M60? That thing must be a real beast... because the M60 has some incredible throw.

However, the M61 has instantly transformed any C-series light into my favorite light...

ahh, they're already being sold....and their already out of stock.
guess i was a little slow on that one.

carrot

Flashaholic
no... they are not already being sold... they will be in stock very soon, so keep a close eye on that page...

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i set out to do the exact same thing as you, though not for weapon mount, just for personal use. L2 hosts are about the cheapest, especially if you buy the "kit" that comes with rechargeable batts and a charger. I ended up getting the Dereelight 3SD R2 with a smooth reflector for throw (outthrows my M60) its an ugly beam but its like a laser. My flood light is the Nailbender SST-90 dropin, pure giant wall of output with about an hour of runtime. Both of em run on 18650, though i would recommend putting the SST-90 in a 6P instead of a solarforce. Surefire has a lot more mass for heatsinking than the solarforce.