tErralux tle-5ex which is the newer one?

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
I got sent a replacement for my reflector butthey sent me a whole new package. The one i bought had a white background in the led and the one they replaced with is yellow background. Which is the better version?

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, i called them and they didnt even know. Both have a metal ring around the lens but one is all yellow, yellow chip and yellow LED and one has a yellow led on a white chip.

litemax

Newly Enlightened
Replacement LED is fabricated in CREE's US factory.

Original LED was fabricated in CREE's Asian factory.

Replacement LED looks like an older EZ1000 (1 mm2) die, so for the same flux bin, the EZ1000 has less surface brightness. Original LED looks like an EZ900 (0.81 mm2) die.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
All i'm really wondering is, will the lumens output of the new one be less than the replacement and, will either one go farther than the other if i were to shine them both across my yard?

Sorry for the crappy pics, here they are.

Original one I bought
IMG_0004.jpg

Replacement
IMG_0003.jpg

Last edited:

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
Here are two comparisons. Same batteries, same flashlight, different LED's. The first picture is the Original one i bought (smaller LED) and the second is the replacement.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002-1.jpg

It looks like the one you guys say is older is brighter. No?

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably easier for you to judge using your eyes than us using the pics taken by a camera... ;)

I would say that the new one looks brighter though, but there are too many factors if you didn't manually set the camera.

SuzukiGS750EZ

Newly Enlightened
I never take my camera out of manual. I set an ISO of 200, shutter speed of 25 and an f stop of 5.6. Everything stayed the same.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, ok, you didn't mention that. I would expect the new one to be brighter though, the LED as a whole looks to be of higher quality than the original one.

litemax

Newly Enlightened
Okay.

From your photographs, both original and replacement look to be the EZ1000 die, so at the same flux bin, they have the same surface brightness.

From your photographs, the original looks to be of a lower flux bin (i.e. less bright) than the replacement.

But to me, the original looks to have a nicer tint than your replacement which is rather blue-ish. But if your camera was set at auto-white balance, then the shots are no longer representative.

Just use your eyes and see which one you prefer.