Quality Reflector Sources Help

Databyter

Enlightened
Where are folks getting quality reflectors for Mag623 size bulbs in stock heads these days?

I plan on getting a larger head, probably an FM reflector head, when I get my quad bore multilight (going to be a 4D quad bore for 623 AND 458 And anything else I can think of). I can use this as a test station as well.

but I also want the compact nerd option, and I just got a Gold FM tri-bore host from FM I want to fire up.

Those sold alone pop in reflectors that I see threads for are not made anymore, and the ones online are unknown quantities to me.

Any recommendations for a 623 bulb aperature with excellent performance?

EDIT: I originally had planned to use an FM Deep for this build as I like it for myMag85, but I believe the opening is too small for anything in the range I am building.

Last edited:

Databyter

Enlightened
Thanks Bobo, and Mrartillery, I'll check them out.

I was even wondering if I should just get a more suitable parabola shape and either ream it myself (how hard could it be?..don't answer that),

or..

Just install the reflector and then install the bulb from the OTHER side of the reflector.

I have played this out in my mind. The biggest problem is the bulb itself, not the width of the bi-pins.

Since alot of these bulbs have long bi-pins I could use (maybe) some of the smaller unreamed reflectors by simply installing them carefully into the socket through the reflector hole and then only putting it in as far as needed for focus.

Seems like it would work as long as the hot bulb wasn't too close to the reflector side, and the parabola was of acceptable parabola for the filiment height.

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
To ream them yourself i guess would depend on what your using, if you have a lathe you can do it, although you run the risk of messing up the coating on the reflector, if you plan on using a drill etc. i wouldnt even think about it :laughing:

As for using the small reflector hole and a big bulb, i have SERIOUS doubts about this, reason being is that if you were to get the bulb into the pins, its going to be sticking up so high that i dont think you could ever get it focused right, i may be wrong but thats my opinion, id splurge and buy a $15 reflector, youll be glad you did

Databyter

Enlightened
Yea, I think your right on the reaming, although since I already have a few smaller custom reflectors on other lights, such as an FM Deep, I will test out the other side of the reflector installation method and post my results.

It would rock for instance If I could fit the Osram bulb into a Deep Reflector I already have for my Mag 85. I already have it so it doesn't cost anything to try.

I like the performance possibilities of the larger FM heads, but even my Deep reflector adds noticable weight to a stock Mag (well worth it weight), Since I frequently use my lights at work, and frequently carry them in a belt loop, a large head might just be too darn heavy and unwieldy on the belt. And they just look huge! It's a look I would love at home and despise for work, unless I was doing a rural task.

I wish I could try it without buying it :candle:

In the meantime I ordered 2 reflectors from Kaidoman, one OP and one MOP.

What is the big advantage of a Litho123 reflector? I KNOW there must be one since the folks that know Mods patiently wait for them and order them in quantities. But since they apparently have to be custom reamed, it seems that they are not originally designed for the larger bulbs to be used in them, so the question remains, what is the advantage over say a KD off the shelf? All I can think of is that you would want to have a tight of a fit as possible so you get the max reflection from right behind the bulb.

Or is the parabola superior as well? Better coating? Anybody know?

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Well i have a Litho MOP in my Mag11, very nice reflector with good transition from spot to flood, i also have a ModaMag MOP in my mag85, the beams are very similiar i think, they both produce a WALL of light:D which ive always preferred over the tiny spot.

Main difference in them is opening size, litho is .388" and MM is .310" if im not mistaken, which as you said does allow for more light to come through, but ive swapped the reflectors out before and honestly couldnt tell that big of a difference, their both good no matter how you slice it. The MM's can also be customed reamed, only ones available at the time are MOP and SMO here http://theledguy.chainreactionweb.com/index.php?cPath=48_56_73

I also want one or maybe two of the FM3-X for my Mag458 if nothing else, would like to have one for my 138 also, but for now i guess ill stick with the KD reflector. that would really make it a monster :naughty:

Databyter

Enlightened
Whats on your 458 now?

And how do you like it.

I'm really intrigued by this build.

The only problem is that I can justify most of my light expenses, but the 458 would just be pure indulgence

I'm afraid I wouldn't get much use out of it but it would be fun to pop out now and then to blind the neighbors with,

I'm thinking it would cost 400 bucks at least, any way you go, probably 500 since you'd really want to get a Alan B regulated switch for something like that.

Although I spend some dough on things I like, I'mnot making much income at the moment, so it's probably have to wait unless I see some good firesales on parts or a turnkey.

I haven't been able to find more than one link to beamshots from this monster. I'm kind of hoping someone will post a utube vid of this in use :popcorn:

mrartillery

Enlightened
well im waiting on the 64458's to here so i can finish it off, Ill prob have just a little over $200 in mine when its done, im using the stock switch with KIU until i melt it :D but as soon as i can find me someone who will sale me a spare magD switch real cheap im going to do this to it to keep from having a meltdown https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225549

But yea i cant wait, it should be a cool "wow" light, i dont have any neighbors but it should be cool to shine out through the field (i wish i had some close neighbors, theyd have been pissed a long time ago) lol

as for the beamshots, this is really the only thing i could find on the 458 https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/191992

Put on your shades:cool:

Last edited: