DIY FLASHLIGHT DIFFUSER IDEAS

pattersonbrl

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a light diffuser for my Romisen RC-N3 light. Here's what I had in mind.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.24123
DX only sells 3 sizes for this, and I'm afraid that none of them will fit my light. So I did some searching and happened to find a youtube video of DIY light diffuser that seemed interesting. The diffuser is made out of a 1" PVC coupler that was modified and then attached at the end was a circular piece of acrylic plastic to diffuse the light. Although it wasn't really what I was looking for because the beam seems like it is still directional out of the lens, the light is only coming through the one spot as you can see in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrsjxsJ65Kg
I ended up trying it out and went to a couple hardware stores and found that all of the store only sold 1" or 3/4" couplers... the 3/4" was too small to fit around the diameter of my light, and the 1" coupler was actually too big. So I figured there has to be a better way to make a quality light diffuser.

Ideally, I would like to find something like the ones that DX sells, which is like a wand/cone type of thing. I went to Walmart and looked in the kids toy section to try an find some kind of cheap toy that had white plastic cones that were skinny and had no luck. I also went to a Michaels arts and crafts store to see if they had any skinny cone shaped plastic and didn't find anything. I feel like there has to be something really cheap that would be perfect but I just can't think of it.

the only thing i could think of was one of those white plastic travel containers for a toothbrush... which I haven't gone to the store to check out yet... but I have a feeling that it won't be wide enough to fit around the diameter of any flashlight.

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to make something that will hold up over time, and also fit snugly without falling off easily. I'm looking forward to hearing anyone's ideas.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about one of those white, flexible plastic can lids like what come with round cans of Planter's peanuts, Folgers coffee, etcetera? The local supermarket has to be a gold mine for those lids in all sorts of various sizes and colors. Sanka decaffinated coffee used to come in a can with a translucent white plastic lid that I imagine would be a good diffuser. It was clear enough to allow you to look through the top of the can to see how much coffee was inside. I don't know if it still comes with that color lid though.

Just take your light to the supermarket next time and test fit the various lids.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The toothbrush holder may be the solution. I recall one of our members talking about one he got from Walgreens that fit his Fenix L2D. I'm always on the lookout for makeshift diffusers like this. You'll find something.

Geoff

Purpleorchid

Newly Enlightened
Just throwing out products I've seen with translucent cylindrical/conical shapes: Superglue/other glue caps? Makeup product caps? Bead containers (like little AA sized tubes)? White-out pen caps? Marker/highlighter caps?

I use Pringles lid as a white balance setting filter for my camera. If you can't find anything, you could always make one like the previous poster suggested.

Good luck!

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another member on here recommended Scotch tape. It seemed to work pretty well, and if you put it on the inside of the window, it will be protected. Certainly can't beat the price and availability though. :thumbsup:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the grocery store and buy a roll of Glad "Press and Seal". It's with the cellophane wrap such as Saran Wrap.

It less clingy than Saran Wrap and is more translucent and has a slight pattern to it. You can cut a piece to the size of your lens and try it out on the outside of your lens if you want to remove it on occasion.

If you like it then you can put in on the inside of your lens. Scotch tape works but cuts out 25% of your light (I've read) and supposedly Press and Seal only cuts out 3%. If you need more diffusion put it on both sides of your lens. It stays on all by itself.

It's cheap, easy to find and work with and works well.

Last edited:

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the caps from miscellaneous water bottles as diffusers. Poland Springs fit my EagleTac P series, Novatac, RRT-0 and E1B backup.

rrt-0.jpg

Last edited:

Codiak

Enlightened
for a smooth wide angle diffused light get a plano-concave lens
http://anchoroptics.com/catalog/product.cfm?id=275

Or you could order some Easy Cast acrylic mix, use whatever you want for a mold.... when you mix the two liquids make sure to put them in the refridgerator the night before, whisk briskly and pour. This goes against the directions which say 70 degrees.... however, mixing them cold creates microbubbles in the final product

or option 3, use sand paper on the lense.

option 4, coffee filter paper

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can anyone recommend some good diffuser material like Surefire uses in their beam shapers that I can trim down for a smaller light?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Can anyone recommend some good diffuser material like Surefire uses in their beam shapers that I can trim down for a smaller light?

Photographic supply stores sell light diffusing films in various grades and stock sizes. Some are made for high wattage incan lamps and lighting fixtures and therefore have high temperature ratings. you can also get it in different colors.

Roscolux is just one... off the top of my google.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that only the older style worked as a diffuser and that the currently available stuff was clear. Is that not the case and where do you get it?
hmm, it might be the case, i bought a pack like 7 years ago, still have few sheets left, i had no idea they don't make them anymore, guess that makes those few that's left more valuable now. i'll think twice now before cutting.

Meganoggin

Enlightened
I use the caps from 2L Coke bottles. I sand them down to make them thinner and get the logo off.

They fit good and tight on most Surefire E series bezels, especially KL4 and E1B.

Not sure if they are the same size in the US....

Hope this helps - they are red diffusers of course!

Pete :grin2:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
I use the caps from 2L Coke bottles. I sand them down to make them thinner and get the logo off.

They fit good and tight on most Surefire E series bezels, especially KL4 and E1B.

Not sure if they are the same size in the US....

Hope this helps - they are red diffusers of course!

Pete :grin2:

If you wanted white you could always go with a diet coke bottle!

Newly Enlightened
Scope caps work great and can be purchased in specific sizes. I took one off of a cheap bb gun scope and replaced the clear lens with a piece of plexiglass. I sanded one side of the plexiglass with a fairly rough sandpaper before I cut it. I then used metal polish and polished the sanded surface using a dremel with a buffer type attachment. The result was a smooth, clear matte finish that diffuses better than scotch tape.
I have also replaced a scope cap lens with the fontal part of a clear bicycle reflector. The result was a very diffused beam but it was not nearly as smooth as the plexiglass.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard that only the older style worked as a diffuser and that the currently available stuff was clear. Is that not the case and where do you get it?
Anti-glare screen protectors should work. They're less common than crystal clear though.