Why the Different Versions of Jet-III Pro ST?

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
What is the difference between the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST using the Cree 7090 XR-E (R2 bin) and the Jet III Pro ST BVC using the Cree 7090 XR-E (Q5 Bin). I realize the BVC refers to Broad Voltage Circuit and I think it will run on CR123 as well as 18650 batteries, whereas the R2 will only run on an 18650, but I'm not sure, nor do I understand why there are two versions with such battery restrictions.

Additionally, Jetbeam doesn't show the R2 version on their site and claims 225 lumens for the BVC. Whereas, Bug Out (where I ordered my Jet III Pro St from) claims 240 lumens. Some vendors charge more for the R2. Bug Out gives you a choice for the R2 as a Cool Tint and Lists the Warm Tint as a Q3-5A. But they don't make it clear what battery restrictions there will be for the Cool vs. Warm.

As a neophyte to this hobby, every time I think I'm grasping both nomenclature and theories, my head explodes with something totally inexplicable like this. Why would tint affect battery compatibility? Different emitters? And, if so why do different emitters alter battery compatibility?

I realize I should be posing this question to Bug Out, but the members of this forum are so much better at shinning light on obscure matters, as my ongoing research here continues to substantiate.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
from my understanding, its the driver that are different(bvs). eariler version was not design to handle 6+ volts that 2 batteries in series would provide, and only recommended to use 1x 18650. the bvs is more like the jet lll M which can handle up to 15 volts. but is not as well regulated on a single 18650.

the R2 emitter is more of an improvement over the Q5, for more output, for the same amount of runtime. i dont think jetbeam makes anymore with the Q5, as the R2 emitter is better. the Q3 is a warm tint, but the least bright. its for users that prefer warm, over cool. and i for one applaud jetbeam for giving us the options.

225 lumen is the rating for the Q5 emitter, and 240 lumens is the rating for R2.

so to answer your question simply, the emitter only makes a difference in output, beam tint, and beam pattern.

the BVS or non-BVS driver determines what batteries would be best to use.

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
from my understanding, its the driver that are different(bvs). eariler version was not design to handle 6+ volts that 2 batteries in series would provide, and only recommended to use 1x 18650. the bvs is more like the jet lll M which can handle up to 15 volts. but is not as well regulated on a single 18650.

the R2 emitter is more of an improvement over the Q5, for more output, for the same amount of runtime. i dont think jetbeam makes anymore with the Q5, as the R2 emitter is better. the Q3 is a warm tint, but the least bright. its for users that prefer warm, over cool. and i for one applaud jetbeam for giving us the options.

225 lumen is the rating for the Q5 emitter, and 240 lumens is the rating for R2.

so to answer your question simply, the emitter only makes a difference in output, beam tint, and beam pattern.

the BVS or non-BVS driver determines what batteries would be best to use.

Thanks for a highly cogent explanation that I can really understand. lovecpf

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
skyfire put it well the 18650 only is much better regulated using 18650 then the BVC is the trade off is ofcourse it only uses 18650 battery but it is fined to to do so.

One draw back I have found of the 18650 only is it is so well regulated it will suddenly turn off with little to no dimming or any other low battery warning.