LF3XT Head Disassembly ?

Budman231

Enlightened
I tried to find a thread about this, no luck.

Anyone know how to disassemble the head itself ? I got the module out of the light but can't seem to see how to remove the LED.

I'm planning to install an XPG-R5.

Bud

bansuri

Enlightened
The 2 wires that are soldered to the LED board are what holds the whole thing together. I used a spring-loaded solder vacuum to clean those 2 connections out to get it free. Note which side is positive when taking apart as there is no indicator on the board. The LED board is epoxied to the head, a lighter or small torch will get it hot enough to ruin the adhesive and it comes off easy. Careful with the hot head. I couldn't think of a way to use a different LED board so I just floated off the old and put a new one on.
Patience and a steady hand will help as will slowly approaching the melting point so as to not overheat things.
I recommend using epoxy for re-applying the board as you don't want those leads coming up from the control board to bump up against the side of the hole they go through from the twisting that will occur every time you change the battery, they may eventually short circuit.

edit: I used the same form factor emitter. YOu may have different issues with the smaller xpg-r5.

KuKu427

Enlightened
The 2 wires that are soldered to the LED board are what holds the whole thing together. I used a spring-loaded solder vacuum to clean those 2 connections out to get it free. Note which side is positive when taking apart as there is no indicator on the board. The LED board is epoxied to the head, a lighter or small torch will get it hot enough to ruin the adhesive and it comes off easy. Careful with the hot head. I couldn't think of a way to use a different LED board so I just floated off the old and put a new one on.
Patience and a steady hand will help as will slowly approaching the melting point so as to not overheat things.
I recommend using epoxy for re-applying the board as you don't want those leads coming up from the control board to bump up against the side of the hole they go through from the twisting that will occur every time you change the battery, they may eventually short circuit.

edit: I used the same form factor emitter. YOu may have different issues with the smaller xpg-r5.
Bansuri, Board glued to the pill? Not on the two that I've modded...

Budman231, also make sure you have some good quality coated wire, thermal epoxy, and an aluminum/copper spacer to get the LED/reflector distance right.

Budman231

Enlightened
Thanks for the response. I did notice the two connection point that poke up through the led board. I also noticed the clear epoxy around the LED board. I'll give it a try this weekend...

Thanks again.!

bansuri

Enlightened
Bansuri, Board glued to the pill? Not on the two that I've modded...

Budman231, also make sure you have some good quality coated wire, thermal epoxy, and an aluminum/copper spacer to get the LED/reflector distance right.

Clear epoxy. Nice touch on a beautifully assembled light.

Edit: Kuku, I'm referring to the LED board, not the regulator and (+) connection board.

Last edited:

KuKu427

Enlightened
Don't see that either. :shrug: Guess we have different batches then.