Powerless over my Addiction

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
Grant me the Serenity to be content with the amount of flashlights that I already own... :rolleyes:

No offense to the serious nature of 12 Step Programs, but what is it about this addictive need for light that insidiously consumes us flashaholics? Philosophically, the plausible explanations are endless... Light represents truth, knowledge, etc. But, practically speaking, since I've discovered this Forum and bought a basic Streamlight Scorpion C4, to replace a crappy bedside cheap-o flashlight, I've become obsessed with light.

In the past two weeks, I've transcended pragmatism and bought a Malkoff Drop-In for an old 3 D Cell MagLite, a Olight M21 Warrior, a ThruNite Catapult, a Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST, a Jetbeam RRT-O and a couple of Coleman LED lanterns for power outages. Compounding that irrational consumerism is the ever present haunting from a Surefire LX2 Lumamax which is literally calling muster on me.

Now I'm noticing flashlights the way I used to notice hot women. That's scary. My rationale self is thinking that professional cognitive therapy might help me understand this incessant need for illumination. But, in typical addict fashion I don't want anything to stand in the way of the next illusive high, so short of an intervention I'm feeding the beast.

In more sobering moments, my own self reflection deduces that symbolically there seems to be a primal need to fend off darkness, so perhaps this obsession has manifested from the reptilian brain and serves to satisfy an aspect of Maslow's Hierarchy. Then again, I conclude that such notions are just psycho babble. Flashlights are way cool. Like supercars, photography equipment, and classic guns there is so much to love.

So tell me that I haven't lost my rational mind and that this hobby of collecting lights is healthy and normal. Or have you not faced the first step of admitting you are powerless over your addiction? :D

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I hereby award you, Sir 2Reason, flashaholic status. Be prepared to lose all common sense. You are now under our control. :devil:

I, on the other hand, can quit whenever I want. :shakehead

Geoff

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i havent bought a light in ............... 22 days!!! :D my last purchase was a Surefire A2 Aviator, great light!!

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
all true op.

addiction and lights.

the only requirement for membership is a desire...............

OfficerCamp

Enlightened
Now just think of all the money you'll save on primary cells with a Pila IBC charging system and quality li-ion cells from AW. Oh, I'm not really helping, am I...

:thumbsup:

The whole flashlight addiction thing really is fun though. Make a small investment up front with a few good lights (which I see you have already done), and then cut loose in the marketplace! Sell some equipment, trade some lights, sell a light to a member and then buy it back in a couple of weeks (I've seen it happen too often). Enjoy it! It's not a problem until you start noticing flashlights the way you would normally notice a hot woman.

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
Now just think of all the money you'll save on primary cells with a Pila IBC charging system and quality li-ion cells from AW. Oh, I'm not really helping, am I...

:thumbsup:

The whole flashlight addiction thing really is fun though. Make a small investment up front with a few good lights (which I see you have already done), and then cut loose in the marketplace! Sell some equipment, trade some lights, sell a light to a member and then buy it back in a couple of weeks (I've seen it happen too often). Enjoy it! It's not a problem until you start noticing flashlights the way you would normally notice a hot woman.

I neglected to mention that I have already purchased the Pila IBC and some AW batteries from Bug Out, after reading so many negative accounts about the WF-139.

But seriously, there's always more things to buy in the beginning of a hobby. Compared to golf, which I don't do, this is very frugal. And, there are so many interesting people involved in this pursuit on this forum.:thumbsup:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great way to put it!

I'm in deep myself. My previous arrangement with myself was that after summer was over, I would stop buying anything until the next March, when the new ones come out...

... well, in November I got a wark RGB and been grinding my gears to keep it at that. This month alone (remember the waiting until March part) I bought a 6P, M60W MC-E drop-in, a 1M and a 25M candles projector and a Strion (picking it up after work and can't think of anything else right now) Just this month I spent half as much as I did last year, from march to september, for less than half the lights...

I heard this comment once that there is a number of people that play the video lottery machines just because they like the lights and the colors. I though it was bull until the day I met a guy who would sit next to his friends just to watch them play, but never ever put a single penny in himself... I think that light addiction might be a true fact and flashaholism is just another expensive side of it... but at least in this one you've got something to show for your money :)

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think we need a passaround for say... 150 good lights.

So you can have them and hold them and treasure them for a week or two, pick your favorite couple... then pack them up and send them to the next person and buy your top few. :p

Databyter

Enlightened
Energy moving through space.

Remotely directed by your hand.

Infinite.

Powerful.

Heating or illuminating matter from a distance puts the "physics" into physical.

Our spirits understand energy and space, but in the human reality we are limited and can only use tools and icons to represent out deeper nature, and stand in awe of it.

Transfering the energy from batteries thru conductors, to a filament or Crystal whose resulting energy is focused and directed towards another part of space carrying that energy with it.

Magical, and strangely familar and re-enforcing of our nature.

We are all powerful beings "physics"-ally.

But most don't see the power in nature, or appreciate it.

But we do.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
powerless.. yes. my sig also refers to this problem that lies with this flashaholistic disease.. (im getting hold of it tho)

about the 150 passaround lights.. and ability to buy off the lot.. well.. hmm.. you seriously think they would last past the first 20 people whom try them out?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I neglected to mention that I have already purchased the Pila IBC and some AW batteries from Bug Out, after reading so many negative accounts about the WF-139.

I didn't find the Pila when I started with li-ion, long time ago, in december 2009 so I took the WF-139. Today I have two of them, a DSD and a Pila....

But seriously, there's always more things to buy in the beginning of a hobby. Compared to golf, which I don't do, this is very frugal. And, there are so many interesting people involved in this pursuit on this forum.:thumbsup:

You're right, once you're equipped, you can lean back and relax to focus on the lights. From time to time you'll buy a few cells, perhaps another charger because you don't have the one which can be used for that special size or that special chemistry. Besides that there are only different lubes, trits, paracord, split-rings, clips, tweezers, pliers and perhaps LEDs, electronic stuff, solder stuff and so on if you want to mod on your own... :crackup:

Seriously : You're doomed. Be welcome! lovecpf

Yavox

Enlightened
So tell me that I haven't lost my rational mind and that this hobby of collecting lights is healthy and normal. Or have you not faced the first step of admitting you are powerless over your addiction? :D

This has been discussed here:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/249697

If you ever start to worry whether it is still a hobby or real addiction, I think CPF is not the best places to post your concerns here. I have seen and heard too much a long time ago, when my wife (being a therapist working with alcoholics) was talking about her another day at work after getting back home. The way it almost always work is, whenever an addicted person wants to get cured, their environment always resist the change and tries to sabotage the efforts of the patient. There is plenty of people with "why don't you drink just one, the last one, with us" or "common, just a little of /anything/ will not hurt", "you will start at the beginning of the next week, now just have to some fun" and so on.

So if one morning you wake up thinking that you really have a problem, well, I wouldn't post here... You will just get a few replies from people for whom this is just a hobby they can afford, not the addiction, joking with "buy another", being not aware that things are getting serious for you. You will get a few replies from people who are addicted and most of them will probably give you advices to ignore the problem (not being aware of their real motivation to keep you inside the club).

If I ever get the feeling I have crossed the line, I will surely not ask HERE :sick2:

Skyeye

Enlightened
I have been fascinated with holding light in my hand since my dad gave me an old railroad switchman's lantern. I don't still have the original but I did get a modern version. I also used to use the old lantern to read 1950's comic books in bed after lights out. So I guess you could say I was a "flashaholic" way back in the 50's!:eek:oo:
sized_P1010002-1-11.jpg

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
J'ever stand at the register in the grocery store and think "I could have gotten that JetPro for this money"? If you buy the food anyway, you are not quite addicted -- or not yet addicted enough. :whistle:

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
I have been fascinated with holding light in my hand since my dad gave me an old railroad switchman's lantern. I don't still have the original but I did get a modern version. I also used to use the old lantern to read 1950's comic books in bed after lights out. So I guess you could say I was a "flashaholic" way back in the 50's!:eek:oo:

You need to get a modern LED railroad lantern.

http://www.rrtoolsnsolutions.com/safety_lighting/rrlant.asp

I've noticed the local railroad workers using LED lanterns. I have no idea if the above lantern is the "real thing" or not.

DuncanHynes

Newly Enlightened
Welcome...I too have the flash-bug fed by this great forum of a site; the reviews are great, and comments of users. I also find the stories, members assisting members in unusually generous ways very uplifting in this often gloom and doom world. 'Lights' was literally my first word so I have a lot working against me in that respect but really I don't see it that way. It's not too bad until you have a second bank account linked to a pay-pal account that is solely for light purchases...not that I would know...:naughty:
All the lights you mentioned I looked at getting and may eventually. How did you manage to get a Malkoff Drop-in for your mag!? His new M61's sold out in 30 seconds. But as others have said, at least you have something to show for your 'addiction'.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everything is relative. Just accept that you have an addiction for collecting high tech lighting devices, and then compare yourself to people who are actively involved in collecting stamps, salt and pepper shakers, tea cups, etc.

For my money collecting flashlights is a lot more fun, not to mention practical. During the last power outage in my neighborhood, I was loaning out flashlights and lanterns to all my neighbors so they wouldn't burn down their houses due to candle accidents - not that many of them even had candles.

Viva la flashlight addiction/hobby
smoker.gif

Oh yes, and don't forget to add a couple of the following for your power outage preparation.

LEDLantern.png