Made a lamp/lantern head for my new JETBeam M1X

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, I finally got a JETbeam M1X to add too my ever growing JETBeam collection. What a nice light. Quality is written all over it. And
surprised-004.gif
This thing is a light cannon.

Anyway, I wanted to find something to diffuse the light for indoor use and couldn't find anything in the house that I liked.....so I made something even better than what I originally had in mind.

First a couple pictures of the new M1X.

SAM_0589.jpg

JBM1XV.jpg

And here is my creation. Made from a small water bottle, a thin white picnic bowl, and a little thicker white bottle for the inner diffusion. I tried it without the inner diffusion and did not like the quality of light. The end result works great, and makes my M1X into a very powerful multi level lamp/lantern. :twothumbs

Here is a video of it in action...

So, what do ya think? :popcorn:

M1XShadeA.jpg

M1XShadeB.jpg

M1XShadeC.jpg

Turned Off. The last ring of the water bottle fits right in to the groove on the bezel and locks the lamp in to place very nicely.
M1XShadeD.jpg

Turned on Low
M1XShadeF.jpg

Turned on High
surprised-013.GIF

M1XShadeE.jpg

Last edited:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Re: Look what I did with my new JETBeam M1X

Does the M1X tailstand?

Seems like it could be a handy lantern for a power outage and save you from holding it if it does!

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, unfortunately is does not tail stand......but looking on the bright side(pun intended) it gives me another project. I will have a base/stand made for it by the end of the day.:twothumbs

jonesy

Enlightened

You have just created the world's first tactical lantern! :twothumbs Nicely done, it's amazing what cool stuff you can make from junk in the kitchen, isn't it?

turboBB

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi Rob,

Pretty neat idea, reminds me of the lantern kit from Solarforce.

If you could find a balloon big enough, you could also try what I did with my RRT-0 (which incidentally I purchased thanks in large part to your review): Balloon Diffuser

Cheers,
Tim

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

You have just created the world's first tactical lantern! :twothumbs Nicely done, it's amazing what cool stuff you can make from junk in the kitchen, isn't it?

Just what I thought when I saw it in person yesterday. It really works great. Well done, Rob. Now get to work on those mini-lanterns we talked about for your smaller lights. :laughing:

Geoff

Owen

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hahahahahaha! Pretty cool.
That's ingenuity, right there:thumbsup:

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

Very nice - have you unscrewed the bezel and taken the emitter pill and reflector out?

I would love a small custom head that was just a wide field window to use it as a pocketable 450 lumen flood light.

wildweed

Newly Enlightened

Looks very cool and the video is great:thumbsup: Maybe i can come up with something for the RRT-1lovecpf

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast

Cool idea! I love the look of it too - it matches any tactical themed home decor. :D

curiousone1

Newly Enlightened

Going to a place like Factory Card Outlet, you could customize diffuser/lamp "shade" color...and prob pick everything up pretty inexpensively.......nice job! :twothumbs

flasherByNight

Enlightened

Just randomly occurred to me, but anyone ever try using a condom?

Seems like a good way to store a survival/bob light. Diffuser + Waterproof :naughty:

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have had the opportunity to use this a few times since I made it, and am very pleased with not only the way it turned out....but how well it works also. I can't believe that I was able to come up with a design that is so usable. Now I need to make a stand for this to sit on my night stand.