Flashaholic:1 Unenlightened:0

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aaaahhh, the joys of the pocket-rocket...

I whipped out my M60W MC-E last night after a class just for the heck of enjoying it. The teacher who has already had the joy of handling it for a minute last week now shields himself with his hands whenever he sees it (yea, he successfully flashed himself in the eyes) and now this new guy comes around and wants to see it. I oblige, with the costumary warning of "don't point it at anyone's eyes". For some reason, with this one, people seem to obey (my teacher flashed himself by accident).

After a few seconds this guy is unscrewing the head. Thinking he's trying to turn it off, I tell him he's working the wrong end. He says he just wants to see the LED. Well, he did figure out he wouldn't be able to because of the optical diffuser which is part of the drop in and hands back, telling me that he does have a diploma in electronics as a college complementary course (you can be certified in a complementary course? :thinking:) and so, would have been able to identify the LED (suuuuure, whatever :ironic:). He's then telling me he's got a (store bought? didn't seem like the internet flashaholic) flashlight that only lasts for 20 minutes because it's so bright :candle: (didn't specify if it's incan or LED, but LED seemed to be implied).

Well, then, I didn't tell him anything about flashaholism, or the fact that I truly graduated in electronics, but I did tell him it's a quad-die MC-E led, which prompted and huge question mark on his face to appear out of nowhere. And then, he's still talking about his 20 minute light (I should have challenged him for a shoot out). I proceed to tell him that it might very well depend on the quality of the regulator in his flashlight (more question-mark tatoos on his face), this one (I call it General Malkoff) lasts more than that (I'm not sure it does, but the TK40 does). At this point he was suddenly in a hurry to leave... hmmm, I thought this gus was supposed to know something about electronics and LED's:poke:...
I'll keep the Malkoff on my belt just in case he brings his supposed store monster next time around :nana:

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice story:twothumbs

ive had quite a few people test out the brightness of my lights with their eyes. why?? there was one guy who had to sit down for a few minutes after testing out my olight m20 with smo reflector. of course i laughed, and asked "why"? they always tell me they dont know.

Fichtenelch

Enlightened
I also discovered that, non-flashaholic people always try to judge the output of high-power lights with their eyes by shining right into. Discovered it more than one time, either with mc-e, p7's or cree xr-e r2's...on full power for sure ;)

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great story!

I too don't and will never understand why individuals insist on blasting a light, which they acknowledge as "bright", directly into their face! :shrug:

polkiuj

Enlightened
My conclusion: 98% of people are "not that intelligent".

=D

I now put a LED Radiation warning (LOL) on my light and it's a twistie with a clickie (long story). People tend to fail to turn it on when it's pointing at their faces. =D

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
On Christmas Eve while waiting in line at my local Walmart I showed my T20C2 to local PD officer working the OT gig. The first thing he did was look directly in to it and turn it on :huh:....I then told him about the strobe function and how to access it with the double click. He then proceeded to strobe himself about 3 times in 2-3 seconds bursts :eek:
He did acknowledge that it was "pretty bright":ohgeez:
After his vision cleared up he said that he just wanted to see what effect it would have if he ever had to use it on someone. Guess he found out!

csa

Enlightened
His "20 minute battery" light could have been a G2 or 6P with a 120 lumen P61 module. Not a bad light, not regulated, and not LED. Don't knock someone too much because they're not carrying the latest pocket rocket. Some of us use our lights as tools, and when they meet our needs, don't feel the need to upgrade every 10 minutes. :p

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
His "20 minute battery" light could have been a G2 or 6P with a 120 lumen P61 module. Not a bad light, not regulated, and not LED. Don't knock someone too much because they're not carrying the latest pocket rocket. Some of us use our lights as tools, and when they meet our needs, don't feel the need to upgrade every 10 minutes. :p

1- I doubt he's using anything other than an AA or alkaline type light. I'm sure it wasn't a 6P, since mine IS a 6P with a malkoff drop-in and he didn't say anything about it... plus my drop-in is clearly brighter than a P61.

2- I don't intend on knocking him, just want to take the opportunity for a shoot-off if it shows up... and find out what's that light he's talking about.

3- Totally agree with the fact that we don't necessarily need a pocket rocket... and for the use he made of his light, it was clearly more than necessary.

And while we're talking about self-flashers, I have an uncle who has the habit of looking into a flashlight whenever he tries a new one. I've been debating with my cousin which light we should hand over to him, without risking any eye damage. We're also trying to get him to bet on which is brighter: his or one of our lights. He's got a Toyota flashlight that he likes to boast is very bright. My cousin has seen it in action and says it's clearly under 100 lumen... Anyone has any idea how many lumen is a Toyota flashlight? can't find it on the net

Flashlites R Us

Newly Enlightened
... Anyone has any idea how many lumen is a Toyota flashlight?

I have been reading that Toyota is recalling certain models of their flashlights........something to do with safety issues it would seem. :thumbsdow

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got any idea where I can see their models? My uncle has had his for a while, so I don't think it'll be on the recall list... I hope