Ra Clicky & Twisty Lights- a layman's review **pic heavy**

CLBME

Enlightened
I'll preface this posting with a few "disclaimers" and begin by saying that I don't possess the technical knowledge so many here do and I'll probably make some mistakes. :eek: I cannot elaborate on the "guts" of these lights other than what is posted for all to see on the RaLights website which is here and worth reading: http://ralights.com/?id=ClickyExecutiveDetails. Henry's articles are interesting, informative and a worthwhile read: http://ralights.com/?id=Articles. I will also candidly say that I don't have experience with any other lights other than a Fenix TK10 and a Quark 123 in terms of "modern-day" led lights. Lastly, I've only had my Ra's for a short period of time so I don't pretend to have "long-term" experience with them. I also have no connection to RaLights or a vested interest in the company for any reason.

That being said, I thought I'd try to give a layman's explanation/description of the Ra lights that I own so others can learn more about them, especially as I've noticed a recent increase in postings about the lights. RaLights is located here http://ralights.com/?id=Home and HDS systems here http://www.hdssystems.com/ . For all intents and purposes for customers they are the same company I believe.

A little history that I may not be wholly accurate on and I'm sure someone will correct me: RaLights and HDS Systems are owned by Henry Schneiker. (His website actually says HDS Systems dba RaLights.) Henry's history includes the design of the HDS lights and Novatac lights prior to RaLights. I don't own either of these lights (HDS or Novatac) currently but hope to as representative examples of Henry's work. Each has a strong following and a reputation for very solid, reliable construction from reading many threads here on CPF. (A search of any of the lights on CPF will bring up an exhausting number of hits if you have the time and want to learn more.)

Why Ra's for me? Three reasons: I was first attracted to the Ra's by their reputation for high quality and rugged build, along with a lifetime warranty. This is important to me as I work in construction where tools get beaten up on a regular basis through daily use. I also simply enjoy tools, toys, guns, equipment, etc. that are built well and designed to function as "users". Secondly, in the many threads that I read Henry's customer service was always touted as being very good and that's important. Further, and I have no idea to what extent this is physically or financially true, it seemed like RaLights was a "smaller" company. I like that- partly because I'm self-employed probably but also you get the sense of being in a "smaller" community and having a more "unique" and semi-custom light. Lastly, I'd heard that the UI on the Clicky lights was excellent- the Twisty's UI is self-explanatory. I'll take a look at these points now:

First, form and build: When I received them I was not disappointed. They are a very stout, rugged light, with a good heft to them in your hand. When taken apart you can clearly see that these lights are built very well. The walls of the battery compartment are thick and the threads are the same . (Henry has a description and picture of the Twisty after it was bashed around for a while here. http://ralights.com/?id=Twisty I have had no reason to doubt the build of these lights in the least. Not a bit. As I said they are built very well. I've not thrown mine around intentionally but I have dropped them and banged them. I've used them in cold temperatures while plowing and in the rain. The knurling is great to me, with an excellent tactile feel. The bezel is thick and beefy. All three of my bezels are stainless and polished as you can see but there are options for black and no crenellations.

The fit in the hand is excellent. I really like the length and diameter both from a user's point of view but also for fitting in the pocket. I have carried them all loosely in the pocket, on a lanyard from my belt loop and the Twisty from my neck lanyard while plowing. I have no problem with its EDC form.

The EDCE and Clicky models come with a pocket clip for bezel-up carry. I have to say that I just don't like carrying the lights this way, but that's personal opinion. Same thing with knives. I just don't like things blocking my pockets there. I do think that the clip is "functional" but I do echo many people's gripe about its aesthetic appeal. The clip doesn't do the light any favors in the "looks" category. Bigfoot was kind enough to post a photo (#30 in the posts below) that shows the clip. The clip actually doesn't look bad there. :) There are several options here on CPF for clips if you search. Here's just one: http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=195512. There's another for "Chip's clips", which is here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225325. As I said I use a lanyard to hang the light inside my pocket against the seam. In this fashion it's completely out of the way, doesn't show a "horizontal bulge" in your pocket and keeps the bezel out of pocket debris.

The Twisty comes with two holes in end of the light's battery compartment for a lanyard. It does not come with a clip. However, LLCoolBeans has a thread for making clips for the Twisty, as well as a trit' slot for certain models. The link is here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/225631.

The light is good looking I think. The ratio on the head vs the battery tube and switch cap not only looks good but feels good in your hand as I noted. To me the light is reminiscent in style of "old world craftsmanship" in part due to the black color but also its proportions and stainless bezel. The anodizing on my lights is uniform in color although I do see specks in the knurling that didn't take. To me it's a "non-er" as I use them for work and carry.

Secondly, customer service: I've not had to send anything back to Henry for any reason so I cannot comment on repair service. I can say however that Henry has been simply great on email questions. I realize that I am a "nobody" and that in all likelihood I will never meet Henry nor own so many Ra's that I'm a known entity through sheer dollar volume. But Henry has answered all of my emails from trivial questions about his lights to specific ones about purchasing them all on the same day that I sent them- even in the evening. That's something and rare in today's business world. When I ordered my latest light, the Clicky, Henry said that it could be a couple of weeks. Fair enough- it's a customized light. I ordered it on Thursday and I had it on the next Monday- it may have even been there on Saturday but I didn't check the PO box. I've never called him, but I've read threads where he's just as helpful on the phone.

Lastly, the UI. This is great I have to say- it really is. First the Twisty. Easy- turn the battery compartment clockwise and first low comes on (in my case red), them medium and then high. Counter clockwise gets it back to off. A "KISS" UI and it's perfect for this light. According to Henry's website you can customize these three levels but I haven't tried and won't. I've got to say it doesn't look easy and I think the spacing is just fine for my needs. Here's a great link on the 85Tr version: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/261977

The EDCE and Clicky are operated by a "button". This I didn't know when I got my first one, probably because I hadn't really thought about how a person "actually/physically" operated the light. Rather odd in hindsight.......... Anyway, the term button is apt because it's a rubber boot-covered momentary "clicky switch" hence the model name I assume. It's not a traditional switch that clicks on and off. You interact with the light by clicking the button much like you click a computer mouse as one CPF'er pointed out. You use a series of clicks and "click and press-hold-releases" to manipulate the light. Sound confusing? It's really not once you play with the light for a bit. The great feature of this UI is that you can select any of the light levels you've programmed with one hand- no bezel twisting.

Now the real beauty of the Ra's UI! Each light has four light levels designated as A, B, C, and D. Each light comes preset from the factory and I think represents a fine "general usage" range. However, each of these levels can be customized to your needs. Through a series of clicks and click-press-release/holds you can enter "customization" mode and vary the lumen output for each level as you see fit. You can also enable such features as a "light-locating flash", button-lock, last-level preset, and auto-off. (Here's a great link on the HDS locating flash run-time! http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=132584 ) It's easy to do and provides for very wide range of light levels to adapt to different uses. You can read the owner's manual here http://www.ralights.com/Products/Clicky/ClickyUsersGuide.pdf for an actual description of how it's done. The best part is you can always reset the light back to the factory settings if you get lost. Here's a link to how CPF members are setting up their lights: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/215521

To sum it all up, I am very happy with my Ra lights. I currently own three Ra's: :naughty: A Twisty 85Tr, an Every Day Carry Executive (EDCE), and a 170n Tactical Clicky. :twothumbs Frankly, and I paraphrase another thread post I read somewhere, that these lights have stopped me from looking at anymore single CR123 form lights. They suit my needs perfectly. They are very rugged working tools, attractive and functional in form, and highly adaptable to any set of circumstances. And to top it off they are backed by a lifetime warranty from an owner who has great customer service. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thank you for taking the time to read this! :) I'm sure I probably made some mistakes in describing things here so feel free to correct me and I'll edit the post.

****For more technical and in-depth information I highly recommend this exceptional link to Enzo Morocioli's post. A lot of work here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/199329&highlight=twisty

Here are some pictures of my Ra's. Please excuse the poor photography skills. I don't have the knowledge for beam shots. Hopefully someone else has a link.

The Twisty has the Turks head and the loop/lanyard. The EDCE has the Turks head and the "flush" button and the Clicky 170n Tactical is "naked" and has the raised button. You can also read the bezels on the first picture.

****Please note that the EDCE and the 170n Clicky have two different battery compartments. The EDCE has the two wires visible, while the Clicky 170n has the switch showing. The EDCE with the wires is the older version of the battery compartment and is no longer in production.***********

Here are all three as noted above:
supv.jpg

Clicky 170 Tactical apart:
clicky170ntactical.jpg

Twisty 85Tr apart resting on the EDC Exec:
twistyparts.jpg

Every Day Carry apart:

Bezels:
rabezel.jpg

Thanks to Yucca Patrol here's a great comparison photo of the battery compartment for the 18650 battery.

Last edited:

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Thank you for taking the time to write this excellent review. :goodjob: Impressive writing and language skills. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Very nice. Thank you. I just recently got involved with the Ra Lights, and I am have become quite impressed. Resisted for quite a while, but the wait was worth it. The UI is indeed simple, on both the Twisty and Clicky.

Bill

paulr

Flashaholic
I never bought a Ra because my tastes in lights run in a slightly different direction. But I followed some of their development threads fairly closely. Besides their physical toughness, these are among the most advanced lights out there in terms of their circuit and control design. They really go to lengths to do everything the "right way", even when that is not always the most cost-saving or space-saving way. A lot of thought went into anticipating different possible failure modes and dealing with them ahead of time. Many lower cost lights by comparison seem to undergo enough development to get the thing lighting up and not exploding, and then they ship it.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Many lower cost lights by comparison seem to undergo enough development to get the thing lighting up and not exploding, and then they ship it.
That's being generous. A few too many of them leave the exploding part for us to figure out.

Edit: And to the OP... great review!

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work on the review.

I have three RA Lights and they are very dear to me. I need to get a couple more sometime in the future. Ideally a 170 and a high cri, then maybe I can send out my other clickie for a K2 emitter.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Well done, CLBME. I don't have a Ra, but there's long been a voice in my head telling me to just once treat myself to the best. The voice is getting louder.

Geoff

CLBME

Enlightened
Thank you Geoff (Flying Turtle), Divine, and Gswitter for the replies and for reading.

Geoff and Divine- my next one may be an updated Twisty (which rumor has it is in the works) depending upon the economy/work, although frankly I really like the 85Tr for work. It's got great throw and the mid-level is fine most of my work. The only reason I'd consider it is for a white low, but the red is great and I'm not sure how much I'd use the low for work. I hope you are both able get a new Ra for yourselves soon.

I thought I also read somewhere about a clip update?? I'll have look for that post again. It was buried in a thread somewhere...........or I could be totally off.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
CLBME, best Ra thread ever! Great info. I love my Ra's and the only disappointment I have with them is the fact that I cannot find my clicky! :(

85tr, 100tw, and a lost Ra EDC

bigfoot

Enlightened
Great review and photos! :thumbsup:

Just picked up a Twisty 85-Tr to complement my EDC Executive. They really are awesome lights! Had to send my EDC Exec. in for the flickering problem last year and it was fixed and returned quickly. Henry is a top-notch guy who makes one heck of a flashlight.

Jeff S.

Newly Enlightened
I thought I also read somewhere about a clip update?? I'll have look for that post again. It was buried in a thread somewhere...........or I could be totally off.

Yes, it was rumored from the latest Shot Show. The rumor being something along the lines of a bezel-down carry.

CLBME

Enlightened
Thanks Bigfoot and Jeff S for the replies. Thanks for confirming the rumor Jeff. I thought it was in a Shot Show thread- but I haven't searched for it yet. I'll get to it today. I'll email Henry too.

Bigfoot- how do you like your 85Tr?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a great review - interesting to see the upgraded tailcap innards in the 170 model. I agree with all your positive comments on the Ra lights - took mine deep sea fishing last night and it performed perfectly!!

Keep up the good work!

James....:thumbsup:

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
The above post as regards to new offerings in the works at RaLights. Thanks go to Jeff S for finding it! :thumbsup:

A new bezel down clip means I will finally be getting myself a RA! Additionally I'd love to see a 1xAA clicky model! :naughty: