Eneloop AAA negative 'jacket' end

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am just getting into some rechargeable batteries. Naturally I went with some eneloops. The AA eneloops seem to be perfectly good, but I am having issues with the AAAs that I got. The white plastic jacket that goes around the battery comes short of going to the end of the battery, on the negative terminal side. So I then have the negative end making connection to my lights, with the switch being on. My Preon is where this is happening in particular. It flashes (when off) when I tap on the end of it, usually just flashes. Sometimes it will stay on though.

Here are some images.

battend.jpg

battend2.jpg

battend3.jpg

You can see the jacket is much shorter than the AA eneloop, and you can clearly see that it will make a connection before it gets to the threads.
Does that look normal, or did I get a bad package?

Bones

Enlightened
It's normal bobisculous. In fact, it's normal for a number of different brands of NiMH AAA cells, including those made by Duracell, Energizer and Rayovac.

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, seems like most, but not all AAA cells are that way. I wish they weren't, as it does cause shorting in some applications. I have trouble with a couple 3xAAA lights I have (that actually work), for those, I pretty much just use an 18500, anymore.

Dave

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have come across a few AAA cells where the covering does wrap around the negative end and these have been a problem in some chargers -- so I have snipped the covering off :crazy:

Maybe you can wrap a bit of thin paper around the cell before putting it in the light to stop the end making contact where it shouldn't?

bobisculous

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's odd. If it is doing it, making that connection, I can take the batteries out and re-seat them and usually it works as normal.

What is something that is very thin (maybe a liquid that would solidify) , and not conductive? Clear nail polish perhaps? 'Paint' it on the edge of the negative terminal is what I am thinking.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just looked at some newly purchased Rayovac 4.0 aaa and their jacket goes all the way to the bottom.

Bright+

Newly Enlightened
I suppose you can coat the inner surface of the light near where the negative terminal rests with clear fingernail polish or

something like it to reduce the possibility.