Walked a (city) nature trail at dusk w/ flashlight... wasn't quite what I expected

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's a paved "nature trail" path that runs between several large commercial buildings and weaves in and out of the surrounding woods. I've never been on it before but I went tonight after work, starting out at just about sundown.

The path wasn't really remote or anything, as I found it was almost always in sight of buildings or other roads, but there were a few woodsy sections.

I had a Quark AA Mini and AA Tactical neutral, along with a G2 w/ R2 drop-in. I figured I'd use the Quark neutral and see how it looked in the wooded areas.

For the first half of the walk, it was still plenty light enough to see. It wasn't until after I decided to turn around and go back that is was starting to get dark. It was that time of day when the sky is still light, but your surroundings are dark.

As the trail moved away from one of the buildings and off into the natural area again, I brought out the Quark and clicked it on low. Hmm, I can barely see the hotspot, better turn it to high. Even that didn't seem to help much, because there was still enough ambient light to prevent dark eyesight adaptation, but not enough ambient light to be useful.

I think part of the problem was that there were still buildings off in the distance that could be seen sometimes through the trees, and their lights and parking lights were messing with my eyes everytime I was looking in those directions.

It was pretty disorienting actually, which I didn't expect. If I looked ahead I'd get the light of the horizon or a distant building, and not be able to see my immediate surroundings. The 70(?) something lumen from the Quark just wasn't enough to really be much help in this situation (not a knock on Quarks though). I couldn't believe that this light could seem so bright inside at home, yet out here it felt like I was waving a candle around.

I suppose if I had been in deep woods, and my eyes had the chance to get dark adapted, it would've been better, but there were just too many distant points of light in this area. I was really surprised at how glaring those other light sources could be even from far away! There were traffic lights probably 300 yards away, but even so when I looked in that direction the glare was screwing up my close range field of view. That was a real shocker. I'm used to running/walking on city streets and it's nothing like this.

I did have the G2 in my pocket, but I usually keep that one for SHTF situations, and I didn't wan't to use it in this case unless I REALLY needed it.

Anyway, this particular setting called for waaay more lumen than I would've though necessary until I actually experienced it. I'll have to try my TK11 R2 next time. The extra throwing ability should help also in addition to the increased output.

If I'm still not satisfied, then clearly it's time for a TK30!! :devil:

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
I began using my mini AA with 14500 li-ions on night walks where there is a good deal of ambient light. Like it much better that way.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
And that is why I refuse to buy anything <200 lumens. My K-106 remains a favorite, and the DBS\SST-50 is just awesome.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Sort of the same problem with driving at sunset, getting dark but our eyes are not yet adjusted. Yes you do need a lot of light during this time, or in fairly bright ambient lit areas. So yes, use the heavy duty light for awhile until it gets much darker, or you move away from heavy ambient lighting. This won't be a problem for us flashaholics who carry more than enough "needed light", and a little of the low powered light too.

Bill

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's nothing like an urban environment that can really necessitate more lumens, huh?:laughing:

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've noticed this too. Areas with alot of ambient light are kind of frustrating. On one hand, there's not enough light to see terribly well but as well you need a ton of lumens to "punch through" that background lighting.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Same thing happened to me in Toronto. I was at the convention center for an event and we got out after dark. So I whipped out my E2D w/KX2C and said "What the hell?!" The background light totally swallowed up the beam. When it is really dark that sucker is a flame thrower.

For the Urban Environment you need at least 200 lumens of incan punch IHMO.

Last edited:

EV_007

Enlightened
I wear a baseball cap when walking at night for this, it keeps distant glare down.

I too use this non lumen method at night. LOL Glare from car headlights get blocked easily as well.

When competing with existing ambient light, I find that at least 200 lumens is needed for proper illumination.

Warmer tinted ones keeps the sidewalks from looking flat and two dimensional looking.

I use the LF E0-9 in my SF C3 for such occasions running on two 17670s for guilt free unmodified light source.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Whew, I'm glad it's not just me then. I half expected people to read this and say WTF is wrong with his eyes! :laughing: (... I might get an eye checkup anyway though 'cause it has been a while)

Anyway, this Friday (or possibly Saturday) I'll try it again, and this time use a more powerful thrower, maybe my TK11 or TK20. Decisions decisions. It partly depends on what I want to carry around that day!

I'm THIS close to ordering that TK30 though :devil:

I already ordered more 18650s so I'm running out of excuses to not get it! Curse you CPF!! j/k :laughing:

MarkW

Newly Enlightened
If you try TK20, post your impressions. I've been thinking of getting one, need a nudge.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, my recent EDC philosophy has been to carry two fairly compact (single cell) lights with a loooong runtime mode, which ideally can share the same battery. Then add a higher power "blaster" light for a total of three.

Lately, that means a Quark AA, a Mini AA, and then a G2 w/ R2 and 17670.

I like this combo for work because the G2 makes a good beater light that I wouldn't mind letting someone else use.

You're right about lithium for high power though; I prefer AA formats, but to get decent power out of AA it takes a two cell light and that's usually a lot of bulk to have to deal with. My Fenix L2D isn't too bad in the jeans pocket, but it's not a thrower. The TK20 is, but that's a lot of bulk to EDC unless I KNOW it's going to be used for a specific purpose.

I like the G2 because it's smooth and light weight, which makes it better for the pocket than my TK11, but even with R2 power it's more a flooder than a thrower.

*sigh* always going to be some compromise, I suppose, at least until we can get 200 lumen out of a single AA light! :D

Last edited:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Oddly enough, the brighter it is, the more light you need.

Definitely the case. It's a bit ironic I guess. More light means you need more light. In the "real" woods on a moonless night, the moonlight mode from the Quark will light up your surroundings surprisingly well.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use the baseball cap method to block bright lights on my night jogs. I used to use a SF L1 Luxeon, but now have a neutral K2 in the same L1 2nd gen TIR head. It works well on low to light up dark sections the sidewalk in concert with the baseball cap. I only ever see/use the spot, so any spill would be wasted as it's lost in the ambient light anyway. So for dusk conditions all the lumens need to be in a spot to make it useful. The TIR is great for that. Or you need several hundred lumens which would require a bigger light, attract more attention than I want (L1 on high gets plenty of attention when, and only when I need it), and be a bother to carry while running.

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's coming :devil: Hide the women and children :devil:

I ordered a TK30; I figured if I need more light I might as well get serious about it! :D

With any luck it'll get here tomorrow (from Lighthound). Fingers crossed!

And if it's not raining Saturday evening, I'll try it out on the same trail.

If you try TK20, post your impressions. I've been thinking of getting one, need a nudge.

Will do. I'll pack the TK11 and TK20 both.

Latest posts