Preferably small EDC flood light?

Quovatis

Newly Enlightened
I've EDCd a Surefire L1 for a long time now but I feel like it's just generally getting outpaced by recent products (even though I love the beam, I haven't found anything as wonderful as it. Zero artifacts, even spread.) and I'd like to look for something new.

Any suggestions?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the romisen rc-c6 and rc-29 are both great small flood lights, but I feel like they might not be what you're looking for if you want something similar to your L1.

Maybe just upgrade it?
Maybe you just need a light with an xp-g led, they are much floodier than older leds.
Maybe a quark with a prism attachment?

stallion2

Enlightened
+1 for the Romisens
i have two focusables, RC-C6 & RC-29. you'll have a light that covers the whole range, very cool for an EDC. there are definitely beam artifacts but the pretty much disappear when adjusted to flood.

if you're really hardcore about lots of flood and no artifacts then you might look at some of the lights McGizmo has made. he has a few i've seen that have no reflector, no optic (except the glass dome that is installed over the emitter). not sure how easy it would be to get your hands on one but it'll at least help you expand your search. i know i've seen at least one 3 volt Surefire he modded in this matter.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like sol-leks mentioned the XP-G sounds like your best option, maybe one of the Quark models and Eagletac just releases a few new XP-G models not sure if they will be as floody as the Quarks since the ET has deeper reflectors.

Other lights you may consider with nice bright flood is the Olight M21 and larger M30.

Quovatis

Newly Enlightened
I'll consider the Malkoff option. I always liked his work.
I was thinking of going for a Surefire LX2. Can anyone vouch for this light?

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yes many including myself will vouch for that light its about as good as it gets with production lights in that size. It is a twisty switch to turn it on in constant mode and you can push the tailcap for momentary on. One thing about it you really have to hold one to fully appreciate it no pictures can do it justice.

If you prefer clicky's get the E2DL the LX2 have identical output and runtimes.

Their is older 120 lumen of both while their is newer versions advertised as 200 lumen you probably will want to be sure and get the 200 lumen versions although some would say you can tell no difference in the 120 and 200 lumen versions.

Howecollc

Enlightened
Surefire + floodlight = L4

Give Surefire another year or so, and they'll conclude it was 200 lumens all along as well.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like the smooth artifact free beam you may want to look at a Peak ElCaptain. It is a very small AA light that is unique in that it uses an optic instead of the more common reflector. You can specify what output level you want - it is only a single level light. The narrow beam optic would probably be pretty close to what you are used to.

stallion2

Enlightened
I'll consider the Malkoff option. I always liked his work.
I was thinking of going for a Surefire LX2. Can anyone vouch for this light?

YES!!! w/out hesitation i will say that no other light i've held or seen has come so close to being perfect, and the beam on mine isn't even perfectly centered. i bought mine, never having any intention of using it as an EDC but its all i've been carrying since it arrived. its pretty low profile and is way lighter than i thought it would be. its an outstanding thrower...it annihilates my Malkoff M30 and M60, both having an 8 degree optic. its easily brighter and does it w/ a hotspot roughly twice the size. get the F04 diffuser if you go w/ the LX2 or E2DL and you'll have great flood plus you'll want something to protect the optic while its in your pocket. i've found that clear electrical tape also makes a great diffusing material if you find that the diffuser is a little too effective...allows much more light to pass through cleanly

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm surprised noone has mentioned this yet, so, in the spirit of CPF excess, I'll nominate......

The MilkySpit Roomsweeper!