Any CPFers @ Vancouver Winter Olympics 2010?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
FIRST OF ALL: May God be with the family of Georgian luge slider Nodar Kumaritashvili. Our deepest condolences from CPF.

I was watching the opening ceremony on the tele and was wondering if any CPFer actually attended the opening ceremony and used their EDC or flashlight during the moment they turned down the lights and had everyone wave their battery powered candles?

If so, what flashlight did you use? Please post some POV pics of the ceremony!

PS: Go Dale Begg-Smith!!! Get another medal for OZ!!! YEAH!!!

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
I wasn't there, but I managed to procure the light. More to come in a bit on iPhone

rx78gp02

Newly Enlightened
of all days!!
the single most important CPF post for me, and i have to jump through soo many hoops to get going lol.

but anyways here we go!!

size comparison to a Surefire E1B:
DSC03237.jpg

man i really hate this computer! soo slow......
Thats right, I have an official 2010 Olympic flashlight!!
how many people can say they own one!!

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wasn't there last night but will be taking in a couple events next week.
I was wishing i had picked up tix for the opening ceremonies though.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish I could have been there...:mecry:

I watched the whole ceremony and I was blown away by the stunningly beautiful production. All Canadians should be very proud of their accomplishment so far. Two thumbs up to our excellent Neighbors to the North.

What I thought was really class-act last night was the announcers who did an outstanding job. They really were very descriptive throughout the ceremony without being distracting.

Also, they mentioned how Canadian people are the most friendly and welcoming people. How they are nice and polite even in competition with others not from their country.

I really agreed with them when they said they thought that Canadians have every right to be that way while welcoming everyone to their Olympic Games, then basically say that now it's time for us to kick your backsides in some games.:D Why shouldn't the be that way? I see nothing wrong with a healthy spirit of competition as well as a healthy spirit of welcoming all competitors to their country.

All of you Canadians are top-notch in my book. Your country gets a lot of flack for whatever reasons, but I am proud to have such a wonderful country to share our Northern Border with.:thumbsup:

thehickmans

Newly Enlightened
Long time reader, first time poster...

I attended the opening ceremonies last night and am still in awe of the show! There was a lot going on and the fan participation was actually quite a bit of work as there were different cues to look for to keep in sync, and the flashlight was used on several occasions to produce effects. Each seat had a specific fan kit, and each flashlight had one of four different colourized stickers on the lense. Probably my favourite effects created by the flashlights were star constellations and a really cool lightning effect.

I think what everyone will be interested in is the LED flashlight:

http://i.imgur.com/ePFG9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/bxzU5.jpg

It looks like your typical mass manufactured LED flashlight with custom paint or anodizing. The strange thing is that only four of the nine LEDs operate when it is turned on - I'm tempted to lighting module apart to see what needs to be connected to get them all working.

There you have it! Let me know if you want different pictures or more information.

Last edited by a moderator:

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree! The Canucks Rock!!!

That "Olympic Torch" looks like a MXDL.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I really enjoyed the music in the ceremonies. Was hoping, though not expecting, to hear something from one of my favorite singer/songwriters, the late Stan Rogers. Anyone else familiar with the work of this great Canadian folksinger?

Geoff

Burgess

Flashaholic
I know CPF'er Gunga lives in Vancouver.

Any on-site reports, Gunga ?

:candle:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
My friend gets to skip the next few weeks of school to stay up in Vancouver.. :eek:He's not a CPFer though. I'll ask him how it went, and if he saw anybody waving around a surefire during the ceremonies! :crackup:

will

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Long time reader, first time poster...

I attended the opening ceremonies last night and am still in awe of the show! There was a lot going on and the fan participation was actually quite a bit of work as there were different cues to look for to keep in sync, and the flashlight was used on several occasions to produce effects. Each seat had a specific fan kit, and each flashlight had one of four different colourized stickers on the lense. Probably my favourite effects created by the flashlights were star constellations and a really cool lightning effect.

I think what everyone will be interested in is the LED flashlight:

http://i.imgur.com/ePFG9.jpg

It looks like your typical mass manufactured LED flashlight with custom paint or anodizing. The strange thing is that only four of the nine LEDs operate when it is turned on - I'm tempted to lighting module apart to see what needs to be connected to get them all working.

There you have it! Let me know if you want different pictures or more information.

Now isn't this a stellar example of a Flashaholic Hall of Famer !!! First post ( :welcome: ), and his first thought is to disassemble and take picture of Olympic flashlight components, and thinking how to mod or make it work better!!!

That's the best first post I have ever seen at CPF !!! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

burneyreid

Newly Enlightened
New member here from Vancouver area,
First time poster...:whistle:

I watched the opening ceremonies from the sofa.
Weather's not the greatest for the competitors but they look like they're having the time of their lives when ya see their faces on tv.
I shall definitely be watching for any of the ceremony issue flashlights as they may turn up from time to time here.

Hopefully after a bit of time, I shall be able to know what everyone's talking about in reference to the flashlight ident jargon.
Until then, I'll be watching for the next best LED brighty to purchase for work.:)

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Thank you for the photos, Hickmans! That packaging in the background - was that intended to act as a drum? It seemed that whenever I heard an applause line during the opening ceremonies, what I heard mostly was a strange roaring sound, apparently produced by the audience drumming on those things...?

Last edited:

thehickmans

Newly Enlightened
PhotonWrangler - Yes, what you heard in the background was nearly 60,000 people drumming on the box that held the "fan participation kit" with a simple drumstick that was part of the kit. I've watched repeats of the ceremonies on TV and the drumming was much less apparent than it was in person. The performance by Brian Adams and Nelly Furtado had everyone drumming to the beat, and heard from the audience it almost drowned out their singing over a multi kilowatt sound system!