SSC P4 or Luxeon K2 emitter swap

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi everyone, there is a thread a few posts down about swapping the emitter in a Novatac for the K2 emitter.

I have one of each ordered form photonfanatic, the seoul is U3 binned and the K2 is UWOE.

Am I right in saying that the novatac already has a seoul emitter in it, possibly a U2.

What would be the safest uprade, considering heat, and fit and the fact I have never done an emitter swap, never mind the fact im doing it to my most expensive light.

Also would I sacrfice runtime with either of these emitters or would I get longer runtime, which is more efficient than the original emitter.

And one more question, would I still have a super low of 0.08 lumens.

Dan FO

Enlightened
I have the K2 TFFC in an HDS 42XRGT and that would be my choice. Your runtimes will remain about the same but the light will be brighter. The K2 is probably the toughest LED out there. My Low was .3 lumens and I would say it is now just a hair brighter (.5?). I would guess mine is about 200 lumens now with a long throw because of the smooth reflector.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a hassle free emitter swap, go for the U3
with the K2, the plastic case has to be trimmed to
fit into the Novatac heatsink

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is trimming really that difficult, dont nailclippers work?

I have heard a few people are having trouble with thermal managment where the light dims down one level.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trimming the casing is not that difficult if you have opposing thumbs :D
you just have to be very careful not to damage the dome.

I used a file on the casing.

BTW, can you point me to the post/s about the K2 thermal management
issues.

My Novatac/K2 does step down but only when the battery is nearly depleted
...... I think :thinking:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um check post #123 here

Is the SSC more floody as opposed to the Luxeon K2, im gessing yes because thats similair to is currently in it.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody got any info.

Im hoping that my emmiters will arrive in the next few days and dont want to put the wrong one in there.

I think I will just stick with the seuol for the first try.

So which one throws further and how is the beam on the seoul, I have seen beamshots of the K2, it does looks sweet