JETBeam M2S comparative review

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
JETBeam recently released the M2S, their latest and greatest high-powered searchlight. It is very similar to their M1X, with a few differences which will be the focus of this review.

The key difference between the two flashlights is that the M2S runs a Luminus SST-50 LED at 4A, while the M1X runs a CREE MC-E LED at 2.8A. The M1X is rated at 700 emitter lumens and 450 out the front lumens, which the M2S bumps up to 1000 and 750. However, it can only run this high for 3 minutes before switching to 480 emitter lumens, and it cannot use smaller rechargeables like 16340s or 17500s. No word yet on 18500s, but 4A is well above the rule-of-thumb max current of 18500s, 3A. The SST-50 LED also results in a smoother beam pattern, without any hint of a donut hole.

lights.jpg

beams.jpg

These flashlights are built to throw, so how do they perform? Very well, to say the least. However, comparing the two leads to a somewhat unexpected result. While the M2S is clearly brighter at 1 meter, the M1X maintains a tighter beam - see the review for long distance beamshots.
Highest lux readings at 1 meter:
M1X: 24900
M2S: 34500

The rest of my review can be found here: http://sunriseinfo.us/reviews/m2s/

Outdoor beamshots are up.

Last edited:

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
18500 should be safe to use. Those "4A" is the current to the LED, not current drawn from li-ion cells. I'd be surprised, if current draw measured on the tailcap exceed 2.5A. If Jetbeam didn't screw up the driver, 18500 are ok to use.

You are not the only person with this strange UI behaviour :eek:oo: Another user reported the same problem. It seems that Jetbeam was in big hurry releasing this flashlight :shrug:

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a guide, The LF Seraph P7 sees 2.8A at the emitter, but draws about 1.6A from the batteries. If its 4A at the emitter, I doubt its anymore than 2.5A as coolperl mentioned. Still, best to use 18650s as most 18500s would just be about maxed out, unless IMR cells are used.

I was a little confused after reading the sunrise review, first the author said: "These flashlights are built to throw, so how do they perform? Very well, to say the least. And yes, the M2S does appear to throw much further, judging by 1 meter lux measurements."

Then the author retracted that statement and said: "The results were not what I expected from comparing the beams indoors or the lux readings, and my verdict has been edited accordingly. Even on boost the M2S barely equals the M1X - I would actually say the M1X throws a tiny bit further. The discrepancy was caused by differing rates of divergence; the M2S's beam spreads out faster than the M1X's."

Then in the verdict again the author says: "While not offering vast improvements over the M1X, the M2S is clearly an improvement, and a strong contender for the best LED searchlight as of the writing of this review. The M2S trades lux per lumen for a smoother beam and larger spot, and makes up for the loss with a boost mode that pumps out more than enough lumens to surpass the M1X's throw, and the overall output of most if not all flashlights in its class."

So what is it? Does the M2S outthrow the M1X or not??? In another review, which I cannot understand because I do not read/speak Korean, it appears from the outdoor beamshots that the M2S does have a bigger, more intense hotspot than the M1X, which leads me to believe that the M2S should out throw the M1X.

18500 should be safe to use. Those "4A" is the current to the LED, not current drawn from li-ion cells. I'd be surprised, if current draw measured on the tailcap exceed 2.5A. If Jetbeam didn't screw up the driver, 18500 are ok to use.

You are not the only person with this strange UI behaviour :eek:oo: Another user reported the same problem. It seems that Jetbeam was in big hurry releasing this flashlight :shrug:

Last edited:

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
what strange UI behavior are we talking about here?:thinking:

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Well, judging from beamshots, M2S isn't as outstanding thrower as many expected... Not to mention M1X better tint.

By the way, some time ago, another user posted link to Thai (I believe) review:

http://www.thaicpf.com/webboard/index.php?topic=1484.msg12577;topicseen#msg12577

berry580, I was talking about light behaviour when using 'head-loosened' mode. Every time, you switch the light off/on, when head is in the 'loosened' position, the light will switch modes (even if turned-off for longer period). To avoid that, you must always turn off/on flashlight in turbo mode. Just read the linked review and M2S thread in marketplace.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry for the confusion. My internet connection shut off last night while I was in the middle of updating my review, and before I could respond to posts here. You will find that the review is now updated with beamshots, a revised verdict, interface description (and an issue), and ceiling bounce measurements. From now on I'll clearly differentiate between an early verdict and one post-beamshots :eek:

Wes, thank you for mentioning that - I tend to just use massive lights like this one on max, something the M2S does just fine. I did in fact find a rather serious flaw with one UI, which I wrote about in the new section of the review.

Berry, yes, they are at 1 meter, sorry for the confusion.

coolperl, thanks for the clarification. However, I think I will wait for official word before trying my only pair of 18500s ;) As for the tint, the SST-50 is definitely cooler, although I wouldn't say one is always going to be better than the other.

Fusion_m8, I'm really sorry, reading it the way it was presented to you I would be utterly confused too :eek: . It should make sense now. I would say they throw about equally, and perhaps the M1X throws a tiny bit further. I can try to take a picture showing beam divergence later tonight, but all I have is a point-and-shoot, so it may be hard.

brianch

Enlightened
Well let's hope the RRT-3 performs better! M2S doesn't look like that much of an upgrade of the M1X as of now. Maybe future versions will change this.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Great review! Thanks!

So is the M2S a more "all around" flashlight? The numbers actually sound good to me - throwing almost as far as the M1X but with 50% more lumens.

I came to the light...

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review! Thanks!

So is the M2S a more "all around" flashlight? The numbers actually sound good to me - throwing almost as far as the M1X but with 50% more lumens.

Yes, I'd say so, based primarily on the fact that the beam is more comfortable for everyday use. You're right about the numbers, but keep in mind that that's only for 3 minutes, while the M1X can stay at 450 OTF.

vaughnsphotoart

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I just bought my M1X before this was released, and this review makes me feel better. I thought I had just missed the upgraded version, but with the compromises the M2S makes it sounds like a light with different intent. I'll stick with my M1X.

And I echo the comment of brianch... I hope the RRT-3 is a better performer.

neoseikan

Enlightened
Thanks for the comparisson, and really its not what I expect too. But maybe I was expecting too much. :/

The LED manufacturers really did good job day by day, I believe that's the power to help us getting better lights, but 50% more lumens will only make the eyes feel a bit brighter, maybe 10% in our minds. That's a hard work to amaze we flashaholics. Because we have heard and seen too much great things.

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fusion_m8, I'm really sorry, reading it the way it was presented to you I would be utterly confused too :eek: . It should make sense now. I would say they throw about equally, and perhaps the M1X throws a tiny bit further. I can try to take a picture showing beam divergence later tonight, but all I have is a point-and-shoot, so it may be hard.

No need to apologize! You've doing a great job, its just that I was trying to make sense of an incomplete review. Its all good now. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

When my M2S arrives and if it doesn't impress compared to my Seraph P7, I'll either sell it or swap it for an M1X v4!

Last edited:

slag

Newly Enlightened
I came to the light,
It appears you ran both the M1X and M2S in the standard 3 cell configuration, is that correct? I assume you used primaries as 3 RCR's wasn't advised in the M2S?
I was certainly enthused about this light until I read in another thread about the UI issues. This is the biggest reason I would stay away at this point, as being able to turn the light on at the low setting (as standard, if chosen as the daily use setting) is not only appealing but almost necessary. I do hope this is remedied in a revised edition (or even that current editions can be updated).
Also, since the M1X OTF lumens on high are spec'd to be similar to the M2S on mid, would you say that this is evident in your comparison?
Thanks!

neoseikan

Enlightened
Not to burst the bubble. But I think the m2s mid is 450 emitter lumens not otf.

If it's 450 Emitter Lumens, then the current on LED might be about 1.5A.
If it's 450 OTF Lumens, then might be 2.8A.
If you can read the current on the tailcap, then that can be tell easily.
After all, it's a mid mode, and quite safe for the LED.
Yours, Neoseikan