SST THROWERS ???

looman

Enlightened
Looking for a gun mountable long throw SST with a tape switch option.

Been looking at the Olight M21 SST but it looks like it is designed to be a mid range tactical. Shame as the price is good and the Olight accessories are well thought out.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received together with the best place to purchase if you can.

Thanking you in advance for the benefit of your experiences.

Looman

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looking for a gun mountable long throw SST with a tape switch option.

Been looking at the Olight M21 SST but it looks like it is designed to be a mid range tactical. Shame as the price is good and the Olight accessories are well thought out.

Any recommendations would be gratefully received together with the best place to purchase if you can.

Thanking you in advance for the benefit of your experiences.

Looman
Hey buddy. Curious why you are fixated on the SST. Since you mention gun mountable I assume it's not just the normal flashaholic collecting syndrome. If you need a light for a specific task pick the one that works best regardless of the LED in it. What attributes are you looking for other than gun mountable?

looman

Enlightened
Hey buddy. Curious why you are fixated on the SST. Since you mention gun mountable I assume it's not just the normal flashaholic collecting syndrome. If you need a light for a specific task pick the one that works best regardless of the LED in it. What attributes are you looking for other than gun mountable?

Welllllll......................good range - a pukker thrower.

Able to run on 1,2 or 3 18650's with extension tubes if available but not essential.

LED not incan or HID

Preferably with a tape switch as a std optional extra.

Not fixated with the SST per se but it looks like the way the single die emitter is going.

too big a head diameter can be a clearance problem but I tend to mount up front not scope so less of an issue for me.

Was looking at the Tiablo A10GR2............. but considering the SST if it has the legs.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welllllll......................good range - a pukker thrower.
OK next figure your distance range. What is the shortest and farthest range you will need. Also figure your field of vision through the scope. You may not need the increased field of view the larger die LEDs provide. In that case all those lumens would be wasted lumens, added weight, reduced runtime and reduced throw. My bet is that one of the XR-E lights would be best for your application. Of course it not the latest and greatest craze. Just remember not to get caught up in the latest LEDs unless they will actually be of benefit to your application. ;)

BTW what's a "pukker" thrower?

looman

Enlightened
OK next figure your distance range. What is the shortest and farthest range you will need. Also figure your field of vision through the scope. You may not need the increased field of view the larger die LEDs provide. In that case all those lumens would be wasted lumens, added weight, reduced runtime and reduced throw. My bet is that one of the XR-E lights would be best for your application. Of course it not the latest and greatest craze. Just remember not to get caught up in the latest LEDs unless they will actually be of benefit to your application. ;)

BTW what's a "pukker" thrower?

Yes the light I am looking at is an R2. I thought the SST would be a big step forward but it looks like it is a bigger thrower led than distance.

Range 30 yds to 150 on a rimmie.

I use 10 times mag so a tight beam is ok at those distances. However, if the lamp is too far from the scope, greater changes of range could be a problem.

The phrase Pukker or Pukka is a slang word basically meaning its for for puprose or it is yabadabbadoo in the parlance of the flinstones

looman

Enlightened
Is that because of cast shadows?

No a bullet has a looped traj so it could be the case that over distance the point of impact can vary considerably. If you set the beam for one distance, it might be off target at another.

It is a compromise between how big the centre spot needs to be. Tight spot for distance and wider spot to illuminate target and background to ensure saefty before you squeeze the round off.

The Deft is a good example. I use it for hunting as a search light. As it has basically no spill, it doesnt spook anything (until you get it in the beam) whereupon it gets an instant sun tan :)

Something like the new Olight ss90 whilst designed to be a thrower, is also very floody. It seems to me the SST is still orientated towrds flood rather than legs and of course, is of a dimension where rifle mounting become ridiculous.

When I first posted this thread, I was under the impression that the SST being a single die was going to be easier to make into a monster thrower. I think I was under a misapprehension.

Most gun mounted halogen lamps have very very big reflectors - inches not millimeters. The heads can be very light so it just becomes a bit unweildy. However, they are usually driven by batteries that weigh a couple of tons (4x4 cigarette lighter socket) or by sealed lead acid battteries that just feel like they weigh a couple of tons :)

The right bit of kit is out there. I reckon that a LED head for throw with the battery compartment in a remote position would be a cracker of an idea but I know of nobody who makes them? I find this strange especially in the USA where hunting is a major activity !

herulach

Enlightened
The right bit of kit is out there. I reckon that a LED head for throw with the battery compartment in a remote position would be a cracker of an idea but I know of nobody who makes them? I find this strange especially in the USA where hunting is a major activity !

Have you looked into any of the bike light housings? One of the Ktronik housings (http://www.cncdelite.com/) with a small aspheric and an R2 may do you pretty well. Finding the right lens would be the hardest part. Trout had some promising looking results with XPGs and small aspherics in this thread at mtbr. Judging from the beamshots this would be usable with a scope out to 200m or so.

Maybe the nightlightining 35mm housings would be a better suit (allows for a bigger lens)

looman

Enlightened
Have you looked into any of the bike light housings? One of the Ktronik housings (http://www.cncdelite.com/) with a small aspheric and an R2 may do you pretty well. Finding the right lens would be the hardest part. Trout had some promising looking results with XPGs and small aspherics in this thread at mtbr. Judging from the beamshots this would be usable with a scope out to 200m or so.

Maybe the nightlightining 35mm housings would be a better suit (allows for a bigger lens)

Thats not a bad idea. Maybe Michael could rig a dual head aspheric for the throw and a flooder for the wider picture with a remote tube )hint hint :)

Funnily enough, my wife worked for Carclo technical plastics but that was before I got into this technology.

A dual head is definitly a cool idea though. A Tiablo Deft head and an a stormer of an SST................:)

Last edited:

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
No a bullet has a looped traj so it could be the case that over distance the point of impact can vary considerably. If you set the beam for one distance, it might be off target at another.
Got it. Thanks for explaining.

But do hunters really want to be tethered to their guns?

Patriot

Flashaholic

With a laser yes, parallax is an issue. With a flashlight beam no. The beam from a reflectored light is of sufficiently wide angle that this effect isn't even a consideration. Even if the light was mounted a foot from the bore centerline, at 50M the beam covers a large enough area to easily overlap that 1 foot co-axial offset back at the muzzle.

looman

Enlightened
Got it. Thanks for explaining.

But do hunters really want to be tethered to their guns?

At the moment I carry a 12v 7AmpHr battery on a belt with a wire to the big light on the riflescope at the end of a long lead which is a beggar when you want to shoulder your rifle whilst patroling on foot. I also have another lead with the on/off and dimmer switch on it.

Battery on left, rifle on right. swing ot of the shoulder, unsnag it from the scope turrets, try and find the other lead for the dimmer switch ..............the bunny died of old age.

Gun light on stock, remote switch bish bash bosh dead bunny farmer happy birds of prey fed or ferrets happy.

Battery inside stock even better. Small battery tube lneatly located on stock. super dooper.

Google Lightforce 170 and see what we strap to rifles now Michael.........Then I think you will see why a tactical style with balls and legs starts to become an attractive option :)

looman

Enlightened
With a laser yes, parallax is an issue. With a flashlight beam no. The beam from a reflectored light is of sufficiently wide angle that this effect isn't even a consideration. Even if the light was mounted a foot from the bore centerline, at 50M the beam covers a large enough area to easily overlap that 1 foot co-axial offset back at the muzzle.

Rather depends how tight the beam is and i shoot on high mag at night - I have no problem getting a cross hair on target at high mag at night.

I am not keen on wide floody beams for the shot if I can avoid it. Using the Deft has highlighted this to me. I also shoot air which can be 15 yds to HMR which can be 175. Not used the centrefires yet

I am looking for a really tight beam

Patriot

Flashaholic
Rather depends how tight the beam is and i shoot on high mag at night - I have no problem getting a cross hair on target at high mag at night.

I am not keen on wide floody beams for the shot if I can avoid it. Using the Deft has highlighted this to me. I also shoot air which can be 15 yds to HMR which can be 175. Not used the centrefires yet

I am looking for a really tight beam

Hi looman,

I'm not talking about "floody beams" but instead some of the tightest beams currently available. The Jetbeam RRT-1 has a hot spot of at least 5" at 50m, which is quite wide compared to bore axis offset values. Even if you found a practical way of mounting the hyper-collimated, original, single lens DEFT on your gun (which I also own) the beam would be sufficiently wide that being 6" off the bore axis would be a non-issue. You'd still have the target brightly illuminated within the hotspot.

The light would have to be several feet away from the bore axis for parallax to became a problem in this application.

In practical terms, if you're shooting from 15 - 175 yard envelope, you don't need anything exotic. Get a DBS, Raptor, Tiablo or any other well built "thrower" as they'll all readily accomplish this task.

looman

Enlightened
Hi looman,

I'm not talking about "floody beams" but instead some of the tightest beams currently available. The Jetbeam RRT-1 has a hot spot of at least 5" at 50m, which is quite wide compared to bore axis offset values. Even if you found a practical way of mounting the hyper-collimated, original, single lens DEFT on your gun (which I also own) the beam would be sufficiently wide that being 6" off the bore axis would be a non-issue. You'd still have the target brightly illuminated within the hotspot.

The light would have to be several feet away from the bore axis for parallax to became a problem in this application.

In practical terms, if you're shooting from 15 - 175 yard envelope, you don't need anything exotic. Get a DBS, Raptor, Tiablo or any other well built "thrower" as they'll all readily accomplish this task.

OK Cheers