Jetbeam III Pro ST versions and RRT-O emitters are confusing

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
I'm confused about the emitters and circuits used by Jetbeam. Presently, the Jetbeam III Pro ST is advertised on Bug Out as having a Cree 7090 XR-E, and then you can choose R2 cool or Q5 warm. The Q5 warm seems to have a BVC (Broad Voltage Circuit) allowing it to operate on more than just the 18650 battery. It also reduces the Lumens from 240 (R2) to 225.

Jetbeam's site lists the III Pro ST BVC as having a Cree 7090 XR-E (Q5 bin) at 225 Lumens, and there is no R2 at 240 Lumens.

Cree only shows an XR-E LED and doesn't specify anything about either an R2 or Q5 option.

Further compounding my confusion is Jetbeam's site which indicates the RRT-O as having a Cree R2 LED, without mention of 7090 or XR-E.

So apparently there is a Cree R2 which is not a 7090 XR-E? Or, are the manufacturers and vendors just playing fast and loose with the data?

To me, syllogistically, based upon the aforementioned data there is a:
1) Cree 7090 XR-E LED that is available in Cool (R2) or Warm (Q5) tints.
2) The Q5 variation operates on a BVC (Broad Voltage Circuit) which allows it to use a CR123 battery in addition to the 18650 but at a lesser output of 225 lumens.
3) The RRT-0 uses a Cree R2 at 240 lumens but that's not the 7090 XR-E LED.

That's what the assorted information suggests, but I'm thinking that they are all Cree 7090 XR-E leds.

Because I just ordered a Jetbeam III Pro ST Cool R2 for myself and an RRT-0 with a Cree R2 for my wife, I would like to be able to tell her if these two lights use the same LED. I probably should be asking this of the vendor, Bug Out, but CPF has helped me so much and has high credibility.

So, can anyone tell me if they are different LEDs, or are they all different variations of the same Cree 7090 XR-E? :confused:

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cree 7090 LED's is a reference term for their XR-E LED.

R2 and Q5 are bins of the XR-E. The R2 is slightly more efficient than the Q5, meaning that at the same drive levels, the R2 will provide slightly more lumens than the Q5. Just as the R5 (XP-G) is more efficient than the than the R2.

The RRT-O, and the III Pro ST are two different light, with different drive circuits.

The RRT-O will also only produce 240 lumens when using RCR123's/16430's or 14500 (aka: Li-ion, which can provide higher voltage to the light, and may, in fact, direct-drive the LED). When using Ni-MH, or Lithium primaries (AA or CR123), it will only produce 180 lumens.

2Reason

Newly Enlightened
Cree 7090 LED's is a reference term for their XR-E LED.

R2 and Q5 are bins of the XR-E. The R2 is slightly more efficient than the Q5, meaning that at the same drive levels, the R2 will provide slightly more lumens than the Q5. Just as the R5 (XP-G) is more efficient than the than the R2.

The RRT-O, and the III Pro ST are two different light, with different drive circuits.

The RRT-O will also only produce 240 lumens when using RCR123's/16430's or 14500 (aka: Li-ion, which can provide higher voltage to the light, and may, in fact, direct-drive the LED). When using Ni-MH, or Lithium primaries (AA or CR123), it will only produce 180 lumens.

Wow, thanks... you really have a handle on this. But, is the RRT-O using an XR-E Led or something else?