M-20 Olight acting funny

non

Newly Enlightened
My coworker asked if the head of my Olight M20 came apart... Like a fool I took it apart to show him. Since then its been changing levels when tightened a little more than when the level changed. (if that makes sense)
In other words it intermittently changes levels when tightened all the way. I am pretty sure there is a thread about the repair for this but I cannot find it. Thanks for any and all help.

bser

Newly Enlightened
Mine is doing a very smiliar thing except when i tighten all the way it dims to low. If I don't tighten all the way it stays bright but if bumped or shaken it changes levels occasionally. I've searched for a solution and couldn't find one and have just been dealing with it for the time being. Any help would be great.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides bad contact there is no reason the M20 should present that behaviour after disassembling the head, I also disassembled mine.

Clean everything thoroughly, use Deoxyd on the contacts if you have some, try new cells (first thing to do for each misbehaviour), tighten the ring in the tailcap and make sure there is no bad contact in the head, disassemble once more...

Ronin

Newly Enlightened
Mine was doing the same thing although I cleaned it. Then I discovered the tailcap was loose inside so I took a pair of needle nose pliers and tighened it up worked like a charm. Hope this helps!

SirJMD

Newly Enlightened
My TK11 R2 did the exact same thing, until i cleaned the threads. After that, i havent noticed any problems.

bser

Newly Enlightened
I have cleaned all threads and contacts with alcohol, then retightened and still the issue persists. What is this deoxy that someone recommended and will that perhaps solve the issue if alcohol did not work?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have cleaned all threads and contacts with alcohol, then retightened and still the issue persists. What is this deoxy that someone recommended and will that perhaps solve the issue if alcohol did not work?

The Deoxyd won't resolve the problems I guess. It is a contact enhancer, there's Deoxyd Red to clean contact surfaces and Deoxyd Gold to just clean contacts, you don't clean it off completely and it helps preventing new oxydation and enhances the contact.

If your light still act this way after cleaning, there's something wrong. Have you tightened the ring in the tailcap? It is responsible for lots of problems, especially on the M20 where it seems to untighten itself easily...

bser

Newly Enlightened
i'm unsure what you mean by "tightening the ring in the tailcap" I have the tailcap on very tight. Thank you for helping me trouble shoot. I"m quite inexperienced and perhaps should have searched a bit longer before posting up, its just I've tried a few things myself which haven't solved the problem which leads me to think something is wrong with the light.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
i'm unsure what you mean by "tightening the ring in the tailcap" I have the tailcap on very tight. Thank you for helping me trouble shoot. I"m quite inexperienced and perhaps should have searched a bit longer before posting up, its just I've tried a few things myself which haven't solved the problem which leads me to think something is wrong with the light.

The ring inside the tail cap. You'll need needle nosed pliers to tighten it or tweezers if they'll fit.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If cleaning or tightening the tailcap didn't help. You may also try to tighten the ring in the head.

m20repair.jpg

bodhran

Enlightened
Just wondering...the reflector comes out to switch between the OP and smooth. When you took it apart, could the reflector have loosened, or is not properly aligned, and be causing problems?

bser

Newly Enlightened
problem solved by tightening both tail and head rings. I had searched but only briefly, guess i should have invested more time. Thanks to all who patiently helped!

non

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try them when I get home from work. I carry my Elzetta for EDC.