Stranded on an island with a SureFire!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Scenario:

You find yourself stranded on the beach of a deserted tropical island.
In the distance you spot what appears to be 2 yellow boxes.
As you near the boxes, you see they are labelled as follows:

Box 1: Surefire Factory Original Flashlight x 1
Box 2: Spare Batteries for Surefire Flashlight x 50

You cant believe your luck!

You quickly kneel down to open Box 1, but before you do, you close your eyes and say....
"I sure hope this is a xxxxx!"

Please tell me what is your "xxxxx" and why you chose this?

(Hopefully this helps me decide which model to buy)

thanks in advance,
tgwnn

NotRegulated

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B Backup! Because of the long runtime on low. Runtime on low - 37 hours @ 5 lumens.

Last edited:

Vesper

Enlightened
I hope it's... mislabeled and is actually a box of canned bacon and a flare gun. If it is a surefire, I hope it's a dual level E2L.

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
A U2. Loooong runtime on low, with a good high, and several good modes in between.

Mike

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
A U2. Loooong runtime on low, with a good high, and several good modes in between.

Woahh , that's a full week running non-stop.

Is the U2 the longest running surefire is is there another contender?

Originally Posted by Vesper
I hope it's... mislabeled and is actually a box of canned bacon and a flare gun.
I can't say whats actually inside.... :)

tgwnn

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
Fun thread and great way to choose a light!

I think I'd choose an E1L. Although the E2L would make slightly better use out of the batteries on low, the E1L gets better high run time per battery on high, at least on paper, I've not seen any runtime tests either way.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
L1 Cree.

Single-cell with plenty of runtime on low. High mode if needed.

No telling how long I'll be stuck, so single-cell light would be ideal.

Even better would be the discontinued L7 with a solar-powered battery charger.

orchid_guy

Newly Enlightened
I would have to go with the LX1. It's what I carry and use at work. It hasn't failed me yet, even when I use it for its unintended purposes.

knightrider

Enlightened
I'd go for the E2L most definitely - 100 hours on low, 11 on high. The low level lasts forever. If I was stranded and had batteries it would be the E1L, but with no spares the E2L.

Not the L1 for me, batteries die too quickly on high. The L1 is a fine edc light and light in general, my most carried and used by far. But I've never been super impressed by battery life with it. If you use the high here and there your battery gets used up pretty quick. The Outdoorsman models both excel at outdoor activities that are more standard and less tactical. I find the L1 to be a borderline tactical light, some would say it is, some would not.

I find it strange when you look at how much you lose with the L1 versus the E1L for actual runtime on high (and runtime in general). The 2-stage switch is nice on the L1 but why such a shorter runtime for similar output on a single cell? (Love my L1 by the way, but it has it's specific purposes for me)

Cool thread! Had to think about it for a bit. :)

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great thread !! just been on Surefire.com to browse.
good call on the M6 3000K, i wonder for how long it will actually produce low level light for ?
id have to go for the E2DL, it has good runtime on low, good high brightness if needed for signaling / blinding. and nice sharp crenelations (?) for killing food :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with everyone but I think my first wish would be the E2L for the lumen vs. runtime and if that was not available my next wish would be the U2 just for the different outputs so I can use the least amount of light possible but still able to have max light if needed.

All I need is food and water along with the Surefire's and this sounds like a nice vacation.

Latest posts