M*g-lite and Frivilous Lawsuits

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I've read where M*g-lite is suing a small start-up flashlight manufacturer because of the way they engrave their company id on the flashlight.

The start-up company name does not resemble anything close to M*glite, but it is the direction of the engraving that violates trademark.

You know how Surefire engraves the length of the light? Well I guess if you engrave at a 90 degree angle to that [i.e. around the barrel of the light] then you are in violation of M*g-lite trademark.

It seems like their should be laws in place to protect small start-ups from frivolous lawsuits filed by large lawyer-heavy corporations. Although the lawsuit looks rediculous and probably has no legal merit, the small start-up still has to pay lawyers to defend itself.

It seems like an unethical [and possibly illegal] behavior. I wish I knew more about corporate law.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I beleive the small company has modified it`s product to keep Mag happy...hopefully this will put an end to it.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I'm sure the company name does not need to be brought into the thread, this is for discusion of predatory practices of large corporations.

Edit: Maybe you could edit your post and remove the company name.

X-CalBR8

Flashlight Enthusiast
FlashlightOCD: "It seems like their should be laws in place to protect small start-ups from frivolous lawsuits filed by large lawyer-heavy corporations."

I've been saying stuff exactly like that for years now, but the sad truth of the matter is that most people in this country (USA) could care less about something unless it affects them personally, and since we live in a republic where the majority elect those that will rule over us, unless the majority of the people care about an issue, nothing ever gets done about it.

Kind of reminds me of an interesting quote that I found on the net today.

"Democracy is a form of government that substitutes election by the incompetent many for appointment by the corrupt few." -- G.B. Shaw

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
FlashlightOCD said:
I'm sure the company name does not need to be brought into the thread, this is for discusion of predatory practices of large corporations.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it`s public knowlage at this point as info about this was posted by them in another thread.

I do think this should be moved to the "cafe". Just think it would be better there. Or maybe the Arc forum so as to be controled.

georget98

Enlightened
It's interesting to read the large company's history on their web site. An awful lot of the high points are legal victories rather than technical achievements.

gregw45

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
georget98 said:
An awful lot of the high points are legal victories rather than technical achievements.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, you aren't kidding! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
I heard from someone in the know that Mag has over 200 lawsuits pending at any given point. Their yearly legal budget is reputed to be $50M.

I wonder if they have even half that number in engineers working on new products?

Peter

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
I'm not sure they even have a R&D department. Most of the M*g-lites I see today are not significantly different than the ones I saw 10 years ago other than the variety of colors [Well the M*gcharger may be an exception].

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maglites are perfect for modding, unfortunately. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif I wish another company would try to put some time and effort in, and make something better than maglite does.

Maglites aren't that great by themselves, but with the help of CPF modders you can turn them into spectacular lights. An example of this is the Space Needle II.

I just wish Maglite was a better company morally and ethically. Sure they make great lights, and the customers see that, but they spend $50,000,000 a year on ruining competitors!?! That's outrageous!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Btw, this thread got me thinking. I figured you guys would have some questions about our new AAA design so I posted the public details of Mag's lawsuit against us in the Arc forum.

Peter

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Maybe .01% [or less], but we are definitely a select target audience for flashlights.

I don't know, maybe some letters direct to M*g-lite after the current situation is resolved.

I bought a green 4D from them before I knew of their predatory nature, I use it primarly to demonstrate how inferior it is to a Surefire. "You mean that tiny E2e is brighter than that five pound baseball bat sized M*glite?"

JonSidneyB

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know that Walmart would not be affected by this at all...but Walmart does have a bit of an ear, I used to live one state over from Bentenville. They have been hit by lawsuits and have won most of them...they do not like companies that stick around by using that approach. If Sam were alive, it would disturb him that he is carrying a product that is made by a company that uses to courts to win. Also, Walmart is today thought of being the big guy....it would help there image to help the little guy

Latest posts