King of Throw....Who is it?

hivoltage

Enlightened
Looking for the newest and greatest thrower LED. Who is it?

My latest was the Jetbeam Rapror, the first model of it. Looking for an upgrade to that. Thanks

neoseikan

Enlightened
Looking for the newest and greatest thrower LED. Who is it?

My latest was the Jetbeam Rapror, the first model of it. Looking for an upgrade to that. Thanks

Two ways to get better throw:

Higher output, or
better focus.

But for LED lights with reflectors, I think higher output will be a better way.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
DEFT only available econd-hand by now or DEFT FTP, available from Saabluster.

Cheaper, but less throwy too : Dereelight DBS with aspherical head

I think the RRT-1 wil be the best thrower after these two...

Databyter

Enlightened
It looks fairly blue to me, and yea, throw, but not a very usefull spil based on pics.

If for long distance spotting only I'd say it's a good choice, up close a blue blinder.

You can't even turn it down lower than 700Lm's, again proving it is a "spot light" only and unsuitable for much else, except perhaps showing off.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
in small hand held format:
Deerelight aspheric is the farthest throwing light I have ever used.
Tiablo A10 for a traditional reflector.

Both with XR-E-R2 emitters.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Solarforce Pro-1 obviously is the present best reflector LED thrower. But am I right that Tiablo A10 is nr 2? 40000lux something If I recall correct?

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
Do I understand it correctly that I can put this head on a surefire host and install P60 drop in of my choice there?

Not exactly. It is a turbo head for the Surefire 6P, Solarforce L2/L2P, etc. However it uses a different drop-in to fit the deeper reflector. Right now it comes with a free L2P host from sbflashlights.com, and as of now, it comes with an XR-E R2 module. I must say, the beam pictures really don't do it justice - the beam is laser-like.

Jake25 has confirmed there is an SST-50 drop in module in the works being released in the near future.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
It looks fairly blue to me, and yea, throw, but not a very usefull spil based on pics.

If for long distance spotting only I'd say it's a good choice, up close a blue blinder.

You can't even turn it down lower than 700Lm's, again proving it is a "spot light" only and unsuitable for much else, except perhaps showing off.

That's a whole bunch of opinion and supposition from someone who never actually saw the light.

Surely the SR90 is a throw oriented light but the bottom line is that it's 2200L and it's spill would crush that of pretty much any other light. For example the SR90's spill LUX at 1M is almost 3 times that of a Fenix TK40 - itself an exceptionally bright light.

The pic looks you're referring shows the beam looking rather 'blue' because it's next to an incandescent car headlight. The SR90 is 6500K like ~90% of cool white LEDs.

The SR90 is a searchlight - not an EDC. If you need less than 700L you're using the wrong light. If you can afford an SR90 you can afford an M20 or M30 companion and anyone sporting a light like this would surely be smart enough to be carrying a backup.

For you it might not have a purpose other than showing off but there are plenty of people that have an application for a high output light. Security guards, hikers, police/coast guard/military - anyone doing search, interdiction, rescue, ranchers and owners of larger land parcels, boaters, etc, etc, etc....

Flashlites R Us

Newly Enlightened
That's a whole bunch of opinion and supposition from someone who never actually saw the light.

For you it might not have a purpose other than showing off but there are plenty of people that have an application for a high output light. Security guards, hikers, police/coast guard/military - anyone doing search, interdiction, rescue, ranchers and owners of larger land parcels, boaters, etc, etc, etc....

Yeh MattK, thats tellinim awrite
icon12.gif

Patriot

Flashaholic
Isn't that kind of like saying that a car is fine for driving and getting yourself around but unsuitable for much else? I mean, the main purpose of a "king of throw light is to put a lot of light downrange and the SR90 was suggested because it accomplishes this. By the above reasoning it would mean that every spotlight is "unsuitable for much else" but we're not talking about edc in this thread right?

While reviewing some of lights mentioned here the DEFT is the undisputed "thrower" but it does this with a mere 300 lumens and the usefulness of the beam profile can and has been debated. In other words, it's not for everyone, but imo every flashaholic should own one even if they only use it a few times per year.

The SR90 on the other hand seems to be the first production LED alternative to a 28W HID spotlight which is saying a lot! Sure, the SR90 still isn't going to throw quite like HID but it could easily replicate the output of a heavily orange peeled reflector HID. I think the the SR90 would be a huge practical candidate here just.

Lastly I wanted to suggest that LEDZeppelin's MZXR-7 (7) XRE w/ McR19XRs and 7 aspheric optics would be a good candidate for the king of throw title as well. It as some usable spill (which is adjustable by removing optics) but some amazing throw with some 1700 lumens behind it.