Really just toddlers

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
Back in 2002 when I joined CPF after getting my first $20+ torch I had no idea where we would be today. ARC was really the only player in the "high power LED" market with their 1 watt, often very green, 1x123. I don't know if anyone really knew that was the birth of a soon to be huge market. I was still an incan. fan, Scorpion, 6p and so on. Darell and McGizmo were out front screaming LED which rang on deaf ears with me. The incans. were kicking the LED's butt for power back then. As power increased interest grew beyond the borders of CPF. What was essentially a handful of enthusiast soon became a widespread market. Once there was a genuine market all but the biggest players quickly jumped on board. A new breed of builders emerged and the race was on. On first glance I might say the LED torch has matured but looking at where we started I submit it's still in the toddler stage.

The dream torches we joked about 5 years ago are yesterdays news. The dream torches we joke about today are probably just a year or two away. I stay amazed at what's possible. So who's going to build my 1xAAA, 500 lumen variable torch with a 4 hour runtime on high and 40 hour runtime at 50 lumen?

asdalton

Flashlight Enthusiast
So who's going to build my 1xAAA, 500 lumen variable torch with a 4 hour runtime on high and 40 hour runtime at 50 lumen?

Probably whoever first comes up with the AAA-sized superbattery that would make such a thing possible. (It is not physically possible to get 2000 lumen-hours from anything currently called a AAA cell, regardless of emitter efficiency.)