Help needed deciding what Spotlights and headtorch needed for hunting

farmergeo

Newly Enlightened
Hi All,
help.gif

I am a sheep farmer in South Africa and have tremendous problems with jackal predation on lambs and young sheep. Having tried numerous methods of trying to control losses, I and many other farmers have found that one the most selective means to control them is to target the guilty predators by calling in (using prey and jackal sounds) at night and shooting them.
Most of us use Lightforce lights mounted on our rifles or shooting chairs on our pickups.When calling at night we sweep 360 degrees with the spotlights every minute or so, and if eyes (+-400 m) are seen we dim the spots and watch if they come in any closer.At about 300m we brighten the lights to identify friend or foe, and immediately dim and if it is a predator keep calling until it comes into range then go bright and shoot. (-150m). As you can imagine we need a large amount of battery capacity to go thru the night.
So the questions are:
1) If we do HID conversions on the lightforces, will we still be able to use our existing dimmers ?
2) I am thinking of using a quadbike for hunting but need a decent Led or HID Head Torch to be able to do the above mentioned with a dimmer.A 12 volt would be ideal. One could plug in to the quad power supply and have a portable battery pack for away use from the quad.
Any sugestions and advice would be welcome
CPS seems to be a great forum and thank you all for sharing your knowledge.

regards,
farmergeo

Last edited: