Best Non-Aspherical Thrower With Small Head

recDNA

Flashaholic
I know there are a million threads about what is the best thrower. It's always explained to the OP that for long throw you need a big head for the deep, big reflector or an aspherical lens to focus the beam to a tiny, square beam.

I'm looking for different info. I'm curious which 1 or 2XCR123 flashlight with a head of no more than 1.25 inches (less is better) throws the furthest. I'm not interested in an aspherical lens or TIR. I'm talking about a normal EDC for pocket carry that gives some spill and the longest throw possible.

As far as I can discern from reviews I've read based on Lux alone the Eagletac T20C2 looks like the best. Is there a production flashlight within my size limitations that throws further? I'm not interested in mods on custom made stuff and the price must be under $100

recDNA

Flashaholic
Absolutely.

Undisputed small light throw king

Happy to oblige ;)

Thanks, I never heard of a Ray D1. Where do you buy one?

Anything in a 2 X CR123 or 1 X 18650 with that outthrows it? If I really had my way I'd prefer a tube design in with the head diameter is no larger than the body. I love the shape of the Quark 123 X 2 but it doesn't throw far and I don't like the green tint.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I wasn't clear in my requirements. I only purchase from American dealers. I don't deal with PayPal nor international shipping. That's why I said no mods etc. I should have been more explicit about that.

Looking at the Ray runtimes and funny big head shape I think 18650 or 2 x cr123 would be better for me

recDNA

Flashaholic
I own an SR3 (which is a great little thrower for all around use) and I'd seen the review before but I just noticed the throw numbers for the Ray light.

:wow:

T20c2 at 15000 lux is better.

recDNA

Flashaholic
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/258453

Takes 2 CR123, throws around 24k lux with double the overall light output of any of the R2 lights mentioned in a 1.22" head.

I specified that I am not interested in mods or hand built flashlights. I'm looking for a large scale production light. I also specified less than $100.

I know home-mades can be better. I don't have the patience to do it myself nor the checkbook to pay some of the small manufacturers' prices, be forced to open a PayPal account to do business with them, and wait and wait and wait until they actually have the time to build the light and mail it out.

I'll restate my specs:

Available from an American distributer. No overseas purchases.

Large scale commercially available product. (No Paypal, mods, nor hand built flashlights.)

Size 1 X 18650 or 2 X CR123

Small head diameter - preferably the same as the body tube but no more than 1.25 inches. HUGE advantage if head is the same diameter as the body tube. (I know that is contrary to best throw production but makes pocket carry much more comfortable.)

No Aspherical nor other specialized lenses that eliminate all spill.

Lux (throw) greater than Eagletac T20C2 (which I already have) so we're talking more than 16,000 lux.

The Ray D1 would interest me if it were distributed by an American dealer but it appears that I would have to purchase direct overseas - DEFINITELY RULED OUT (again no patience to wait nor the trust to deal overseas. ) I'm even reluctant to deal with Amercan dealers who provide no phone number to consumers let alone overseas distributers.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find shining beam's L-mini to throw exceptionally well considering the lack of a head.
L-mini bottom, MTE SSC-P7 top, 18650s in between.
P7Lmini.jpg

L-mini left, MTE SSC-P7 right.
P7Lminibeamshot.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
It's just the perfect shape I but what's the lux?

Just looked it up. Listed at only 200 lumens so I doubt it beats the T20C2 lux-wise.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
The DBS is best, but has a bigger head. My scond best-thrower of your desired category would be the Jetbeam Raptor RRT-2. Fenix TK11-R2 is not bad either, but already behind, Lumapower D-Mini VX (optional 18650 tube) may also be a candidate...

easilyled

Flashaholic
Hey recDNA, I recommend exactly what you're looking for from your first post criteria and then you go and change all the conditions until its virtually impossible to find anything other than what you already know. :poke:

So I have 3 options for you:-

1) Stick with your Eagletac T20C2

2) Take an "amazing" risk and by the Ray D1 from your dreaded overseas retailer or post a "WTB Ray D1" ad. in the market place.

3) Buy a laser.

:nana:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hey recDNA, I recommend exactly what you're looking for from your first post criteria and then you go and change all the conditions until its virtually impossible to find anything other than what you already know. :poke:

So I have 3 options for you:-

1) Stick with your Eagletac T20C2

2) Take an "amazing" risk and by the Ray D1 from your dreaded overseas retailer or post a "WTB Ray D1" ad. in the market place.

3) Buy a laser.

:nana:

Look, I've been around here a while so if this were an easy find I would have found it myself! As for virtually impossible the only flaw in the D1 is that it isn't available here! I never heard of the D1 so how could I know it isn't carried by American dealers? (I don't know how I missed that thread but perhaps when I saw the source was overseas I just clicked to the next thread)

If the L-Mini were still available in P7 or SST-50 it appears it would have met my criteria. My current plan is to watch for that while waiting to see the throw numbers of the updated Eagletac w XP-G. I would have ignored the L-Mini back then because I'm not crazy about using Li Ions. I now use the IMR's that are a little safer.

Perhaps nothing does meet all of my criteria but I bet something comes along that does and maybe someone will remember this thread and tell me!

Thanks for the idea about posting in the Marketplace for a D1 but I prefer to purchase from a dealer who offers a warranty.

Lasers don't meet my criteria. They have no spill.

I don't deny being finicky.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
Freakin' amazing.
20,000 lux!
This is as good as a Tiablo A9.
The next closest in the review is 7,900.

They didn't bother to include the D-Mini-VX with TF reflector. Why they tested the -VX Ultra is beyond me. The VX-TF has over twice the Lux. It is around 18,000 lux or so. Same head size as the Ray D-1 and available at batteryjunction.com any day of the week. It also is not so over-pumped like the Ray D-1. Has better run times, and comes with 16340 and 18650 tubes.

Latest posts