Runtime Improvement of Surefire 9P vs. 6P

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
So if I extend my surefire 6P to accommodate a third cell what kind of runtime increases am I looking at for the 80 lumen led unit it comes with as well as say a malkoff M61 or similiar drop-in? Thanks.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Just get the Malkoff M60L for a 6P, it's what I'm doing.

Can the M61 handle the voltage in a 9P? "The input voltage is 3.4 - 9 volts."

Maybe I'll also order the M60LL, just don't know if it will be bright enough.

zlf15

Newly Enlightened
So will having three cells versus two just increase the length of "tactical" level light or will runtime be increased as well?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
So will having three cells versus two just increase the length of "tactical" level light or will runtime be increased as well?

Generally no the output should not change dramatically, since 2-3 cell drop ins use buck converters.

W=VxA, so the light module needs less A with higher voltage levels. This results in longer run times.

cfromc

Enlightened

Depends on the module but on a P60L I think you actually lose some total runtime but gain a little "tactical" run time. I know my P60L eats up batteries quick in my C3. That's why I changed it out for a Malkoff a few days ago.

carrot

Flashaholic
The M60LL will acheive a very similar amount of light to the P60L but run for many many many more hours. An M60L will be a decent bit brighter and still run for many more hours. Definitely upgrade to the Malkoff first, battery extender later.

Rocketman

Enlightened
Ah, yeah. Put in a Malkoff M60LL, as I just did in my Surefire 6PL, it will run for 8 hours at a regulated 80 lumens (bulb lumens) on 123 lithium primaries.

I just read my previous post. I moved my M60L to my new Malkoff MD2 and put my new M60LL in my Surefire 6PL. Surprisingly, my 6P seems plenty bright. I know my smile is plenty bright. Getting ready to install the clip. Wow, what a nice light. I reckon that's why much of his product is always sold out <chuckle> got to love that guy, his wife sent me a thank you note each time.