• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Anto's fully potted & heatsinked 1.4A XP-G R5 P60 Dropin SALES THREAD.

Anto

Enlightened
Interest Thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255569

Part 2: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/278902

Features:

- P60 Dropin
- Solid copper slug thermally attached to base
- Reflector is thermally bonded to base
- Electronics & leads are fully potted with thermally conductive compound
- Inner spring is epoxy bonded to driver board
- Powering an XP-G R5 emitter by a 1.4A, Single stage 7135 board
- Runs most efficiently with 1x Li-ion (2x123 can be used in emergency situations, 6V max input)
- Copper strip included for maximum heat transfer from dropin to host body.

Changes:
Switched to clear epoxy for inner spring. *Black again, 2nd batch
Due to the R5 being mounted on a thicker board, the there is more of a hotspot compared to the R4 variant while still retaining spill. (I like this beam pattern better).
*Dropin modules sent to me had a slightly larger base diameter than my R4 base did, requiring a single coil of the outer spring to be removed (see picture).

Output:
MrGman and bigchelis confirmed the R4 variant had 306 OTF lumens & 287 lumens after 3 mins!
R5's should net ~320 OTF (approximation) with a higher Lux reading.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...d.php?t=229135

Due to the nature of the 7135 boards & varying XP-G Vf's, I will not be making any regulation claims. However, XP-G's naturally have a lower Vf (3.3-3.4), and when tested out of 4 modules, still managed to pull an average of ~1.2A from a 18650 with 3.64V. This will vary depending on what 18650 cell is used. In addition, reverse polarity will destroy these boards.

For this initial run, I will be constructing 17 modules.
9 Will be going to waitlisted members in the thread,
8 will be for open purchase.
Limit one per open purchase! (For now)
*The reason I left 8 open spots is to give people who either didn't post or were further down the list a chance to snag one.
Subsequent runs will have fewer open spots & more people on the waitlist getting one. In addition, waitlisted members get their price locked in.

Purchase List:

1. MrGman*PMed*Paid*Shipped!
2. bigchelis*PMed*Paid
*Shipped!
3. kyhunter1*Constructing
*Completed, PMed*Paid*Shipped!
4. Visible EM Wave*Constructing*Completed, Unable to PM*Paid*Shipped!
5. Sgt. LED*Constructing*Completed, PMed*No response
6. mohr (international)*Constructing*Completed, PMed
7. Alberta-Blue*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Passed
8. grinsefalle (international)
*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Paid*Shipped!
9. Evilpaul2112*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Paid*Shipped!

OPEN:
1. Viper715
*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Paid*Shipped!
2. pwatcher*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Passed
3. donn_*Constructing*Completed, PMed*Paid*Shipped!
4. upsidedownviking*PMed*Paid*Shipped!
5. supergravy*PMed*No response
6. russthetoolman*PMed*Paid*Shipped!
7. flashfiend*Passed
8. horandy708*PMed*Passed

If you're not on the list, don't fret. You'll get a chance to get one after
this first run is done.

Pricing:
Modules will be $45 shipped CONUS, for Personal Paypal,
Anything other than Personal PP, add $1, Insurance, add $2.

PP addy is:
15320492.jpg

DO NOT SEND PP UNLESS ASKED TO.
I WILL BE PM'ING MEMBERS WHEN THEIR MODULE IS READY.

Pictures:
img9452r.jpg

img9454b.jpg

*Thread is subject to change anytime

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
Fitting & installing the copper strip.

Included with the dropin is an oversized copper strip for maximum heat transfer. I have included enough to wrap 2 dropins (for your other LED P60 modules). Below is a guide on how to fit & trim the strip. There are two methods, the latter takes a little more time but will transfer heat better. I suggest you read through both methods first, then start.

Simple Method

1. The strip you received should look like the item on the left. Unrolled, it looks like the item on the right. Go ahead and unroll the strip, watch for sharp edges.

img9474.jpg

2. Start by pinching one end of the strip against the dropin body.

img9476u.jpg

3. Roll the strip around the dropin, keeping tension on the strip.

img9477.jpg

4. Once the module is wrapped, note where the strip overlaps.

img9478.jpg

5. Cut where the strips overlap, you can leave a small gap for fitment.

img9479x.jpg

6. Pinching the corners of the strip, insert the dropin into the host.

img9481k.jpg

7. You can verify fitment by pushing down with something flat (book, etc). Take care as to not touch the reflector.

img9482o.jpg

Done.

There you have the simple method. The other method involves undercutting the strip and working your way down for the tightest fitment.

Method for maximum heat transfer

Certain lights have looser tolerances then others, enabling more of the strip to be fitted. For example, my Solarforce L2 with a inner head diameter of ~22.47mm allows 1 and 1/2 revolutions. Here is the strip for that one:
img9475e.jpg

Notice that overlap? Now with my Solarforce L2P, the tighter tolerances (~22.32mm) only allow one revolution of the strip to be installed.

To achieve this, cut the strip slightly thicker (1 2/3 revolutions) and work your way down, trimming bit by bit until you get the tightest fit. In my experience, the Surefire series can only tolerate 1 revolution.
If your light can take the extra material, it might help to clock the overlap portion to line up between the ends on the dropin spring. See below:

img9487.jpg

Note how the worn, overlapping part is sitting in between the ends of the spring.

img9483.jpg

A tip: if you can get the dropin into the body with an oversized strip, but can't seem to screw the bezel all the way down, rotate them around and try again. My L2 is weird like that. Not everyone's light is the same, so it might take a few tries.

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
I have been eargerly awaiting the completion of your drop in. It sounds very promising. I will take one. Thank you.

flashfiend

Enlightened
I thought expressing interest on the other thread would put us on the list? Regardless, please place me on the open purchase list. Thank you.

Last edited:

Anto

Enlightened
It does put you on a list, but I left 8 open spots to give people who either didn't post, or were further down the list a chance to snag one.

One spot left!

Last edited:

Viper715

Enlightened
How is there even an open list? There were 33 people that said they wanted to buy on the feeler thread? https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255569 :thinking:

Yeah I kinda had the same question. I was about the 12th person in that thread to state that they wanted one in post 29. I am just glad I got a jump on the sales thread here. I would have been disappointed to miss out.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see these R5 drop-ins are finally going out.

Those who will get one of his drop-ins will notice how much more then weight. That cooper really helps cool things up and the XP-G R4 I tested at 4 minutes over 280 OTF is more than some R5's turn-on lumens.:thumbsup:

I hope to let you guys know what the new R5 does and lets hope it breaks the 325 OTF barrier and over 300 at 3 mintues.:sssh::sssh:

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like Anto will have my module ready shortly :twothumbs. Im anxious to try it out against my new M61, M60, and Modoo triple XPE. With the larger reflector, I think it will easily out throw the M61. Looks like I have a versatile drop in collection going on. :naughty:

BSBG

Enlightened
The order of the list seems to make no sense at all, but I can wait for the next round.