Need advice: domain registration for my site

Whistler

Enlightened
Due to a data limit of 1 GB on my web site I'm looking for a new place to set up my site. I already reached the limit. I can't expand. Due to a trick it's still working (look for yourself to find this trick...).

zmoz, CPF# 3708 has some good prices web page

Now I'm looking for domain registration for a good price.

Anybody a good suggestion? How is forwarding from this site working? Any other advice how to proceed?

Thanks for all advice.

jtice

Flashaholic
I use ZMOZ....
They have good customer service, and VERY good prices.

Only thing I can complain about is... they are not very fast. Your upload and download speeds will not be as high as some other hosts.

But, you get TONS of space, and alot of Gig per month transfer rate.

You can direct link pics from it to CPF also.

If you would like a sample.. here is my sites that are on ZMOZ.
http://trotto.zmoz.com
http://trotto.zmoz.com/review --- just started, not updeated /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
If you just want a domain registrar, I've been happy with www.jumpdomain.com -- their best feature is a clever WHOIS despamming service (you normally get tons of spam from your mandatory published WHOIS contact addresses). That alone is worth the price of admission, I'd say.

Whistler

Enlightened
I'm still not sure how it works...

Do I have to register a domain at e.g. jump domain and then I would have to forward it to ZmOz?

Is it an option to host it just at ZmOz? With a 'ZMOZ page'? JTice did so (it think)!?

I'm not sure how to proceed.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I use GODADDY
Reg was quick, inexpensive, and easy to forward to host?
I used the live phone service as they have specials $
$5.95 and less for (.us)
So far I regged 35 names /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Don't ask /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
I wasn't happy with Jumpdomain hosting. It took 7 days to respond to my email. Tech question after I signed up for their hosting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Tom

jtice

Flashaholic
Whistler.......
NO,,, you do NOT have to register a Domain name.
Simply email zmoz and tell them that you want it set up like mine.

I saw no point registering a Domain Name, when all it was gonna do is remove 4 letters. (zmoz).

Whistler

Enlightened
Thanks, will do. Looking forward to post a lot of new pictures on my site! Thanks for the advice. I don't need a domain name.

TOB9595

Enlightened
JTice, Can you unconfuse me. I don't undrstand what we're (you're) referring to . Do you have space on zmoz' web site?
Do you have him host?
I have him for a host but it's not set up yet. (uploaded)
I'm just lookin for more info on a subject I'm just learning about /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

jtice

Flashaholic
TOB....
ZMOZ... is my website host.
My site is trotto.zmoz.com
I signed up for the $5 a month plan,,, that includes 5GIG storage space, 40 Gig per month transfer, ulimited email acounts,,, and more.

You can use ZMOZ to host your site, or, just as a storage space. I use it to host my web pages,, both of which are listed in my sig line.

Feel free to ask me anything, I'll try my best to help.

TOB9595

Enlightened
I also have that plan with zmoz. Just haven't done anything with it yet /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I was gonna redirect a domain name (example: ILOVE.us)
to zmoz hosting.
Does the zmoz plan impact that domain name?
I guess I don't grasp the (zmoz) part of your url??
How did you come upon the zmoz part of trotto.zmoz.com?
I went to your site and like what you did.
What app do you use to make the site?
I'm wading thru dreamweaver mx and frontpage. Don't know which I'll prefer.
I should go to a course or group to not reinvent the web /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom

paulr

Flashaholic
Whistler, I think you're a little confused between domain registration and web hosting.

Domain registration means signing up for your own domain like whistler.com. That does NOT give you a web server. It just gives you control of that domain and lets you specify what server you want it connected to. Domain registration usually costs around $10/year these days, plus or minus a couple. Some registrars are better than others. I'm happy with jumpdomain and have heard good things about godaddy. I don't think I'd switch to one of unknown quality just to save a dollar or two.

Web hosting means someone running a web server with your pages on it. That costs between zero and infinity depending on what features you want. The free hosts (like geocities) generally have so many limitations and pop-ups that I'd advise staying away unless you really can't afford paying anything. Minimal paid hosting starts at $5/month or so, and that should be enough for a typical hobby site. Your ISP may even include some of this kind of hosting in its normal monthly fee.

If you are building what you consider a serious site that you want to keep around for a while, I strongly encourage you to register your own domain name and not use your web host's domain (e.g. whistler.zmoz.com or www.zmoz.com/~whistler or whatever). The reason is web hosts come and go, good ones become bad or raise their prices, etc. and you want to be able to switch providers without having to change your URL. However, of course, this costs extra money so if you're doing a site that you don't mind potentially having to relocate sometime, then a domain may not be worth it to you.

e=mc²

Enlightened
NJ - Land of malodorous \"earl\" refineries!
jtice, does zmoz's hosting plan include a control panel that lets you set directory permissions? and also do you know if it will support PHP or ASP? I do lots of server coding at my present job and would love to have specifically PHP with mySQL support.... That would be the "cat's pajamas" (my pappy used that timeless expression all the time). Too bad Java enabled hosts cost a fortune as my area of expertise in in JSP/Servlet programming along with JDBC for database based sites. But I've quickly adapted to the ASP and PHP/mySQL methodologies as they are becomming more prevalent and the hosting for such sites is WAY more affordable than Java enabled ones. Plus, with PHP/mySQL enabled hosts, you usually get at least one database for your tables. The Java hosts want to charge an arm and a leg for SQL2000 (MicroShaft) and I really prefer Apache/LINUX based servers. Much more swifter response times, IMHO.

Ed.

jtice

Flashaholic
TOB...
when you first set things up with ZMOZ,, they expect you to have a domain name, that will direct the user to the ZMOZ account. BUT,, you dont have to have a domain name,,, just email ZMOZ, and tell them you want to have it setup like mine. They will make is whateveryouwant.zmoz.com.

I use Dreamweaver and Frontpage. DW, is better for more indept, detailed work. But it is harder to use. I find myself using Frontpage the most lately. Which is odd, I used to hate it.

TOB9595

Enlightened
AAAAHHHH, now I get it.
That's a great way to do it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Tom
thanks for the info on appz /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
E= here's the zmoz site HERE

jtice

Flashaholic
E.......

Yes ZMOZ has a web based control panel for all the permissions.

Im trying to goto it now, and see about the other things you asked about.

But, for now,,, I'll guess, YES... it had a HUGE list of things it supported.

paulr

Flashaholic
e=mc2, you might look at www.usermodelinux.org for a bunch of links to UML providers. That's sort of the next step past virtual hosting these days and starts around $20 a month. You get a virtual Linux server (partition on a physical machine) with full root access so you can install any software you want. That makes it straightforward to run Apache, PostgreSQL, Tomcat, and so forth.

Whistler

Enlightened
PaulR -and the others- thanks for the advice and explanation./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

I thought it's something this. Hosting and domainforwarding.

BTW, I already got a busy website. Look on the bottom of this answer. Provided by my ISP. Datalimit 1 GB. I have around 1400 vistors (my counter tells me that) a month. When I reached the 2 GB/month my ISP shut down my site for a while. Since I have a lot of pictures it's quite heavy in sense of data. Because of this I can't expand my site anymore and I have to use a trick (quite tiring) for my pictures.. That's why I'm looking for a new place.

paulr

Flashaholic
Oh I see. Well, expect to pay around $2.00 per GB for bandwidth. Be very skeptical when someplace says you can have 40 GB/month for $5.00 or something like that.

Domain forwarding and domain registration are again two separate things. Domain registration lets you specify what IP address is connected with a domain name. It does not provide any servers at that IP address. Domain forwarding means there's a server (often run by your domain registrar) that accepts web hits but redirects them to another server that you specify. That's a simple way to point a registered domain name at some existing page you have--see flashlightreviews.com for an example. Some registrars provide free forwarding, others make you pay for it, some do it for free but insert annoying pop-up ads that you have to pay to get rid of, some don't provide it at all. jumpdomain.com provides it for free with no pop-ups, which is the way I like it.

If you're in .nl and you want a .nl domain instead of .com or whatever, see www.nic.nl for info.

www.xs4all.nl and www.cistron.nl are good Dutch hosting providers, but if most of your traffic is coming from the US, you might want to host your site in the US for lower costs.

Beretta1526

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Domain Direct for my non-hosted domains and Hostway for my hosted domain. There's links on these pages if you're interested:

Click the little HOSTWAY ad button at the very bottom they run specials and offer a lot of different options.

There's two different Domain Direct (Tucows) ads there as well, they offer hosting now, but I haven't tried it yet.

EDIT:
Actually, I just recently was able to secure 92f.com for myself. I was quite shocked to get a 3-letter TLD. There's almost nothing there but a link to Beretta via their logo at the moment.