My dream Ra light - the Slimline Ti 14500 Clicky/Twisty! Poll added!

Would you like to see any of these options available on a Ra?

• Total voters

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Poll added! I tried to edit to add the poll and didn't do it soon enough so I'm going to ask if someone can close the original which didn't have the poll.

This thread started out as a reply to CLBME via PM where we were discussing Ra lights and I started dreaming out loud while typing. Well, I think it's a good enough idea to warrant a thread and with all the Henry designed light fans out there, I hope it will inspire some good-willed conversation about what we think could make one of the best lights available, better yet!

As for what I'd like to see from Ra would be:
*Slimline versions for more compact dimensions, but made out of titanium to retain 'bulletproofness'.
*Single AA versions with 2x tube option designed for 14500, but also operable with standard alkaline.
*Four levels from the Twisty. I would buy a titanium Slimline Twisty with four levels tomorrow!
*Lower low, down to the level that the Surefire Titan has, which is just a fraction of the very bright low that Ra lights have now.
*New approach to clips, possibly with a range of options including AlTiN coating for those who prefer 'invisible mode' and stonewashed for ease of maintenance.
*Bezels with the same options and also steel tailcaps, again with the same options.

More compact, longer battery life, lower low and more versatile and personally customizable UI.

I don't know what the level of my high CRI Clicky is but comparing it to my 100 and 120 Twisty's I suspect it's a 140 and delivers all the light I need. I'd welcome higher available output, mainly so I could turn it down and get even better efficiency, but never in a million years, at expense of battery life, tint, or low, low setting.

My perfect Ra would be a 1xAA Slimline titanium bodied tailstandable Clicky/Twisty which operated exactly as a Twisty when turned, and exactly as a Clicky when clicked. I'm not asking much and sure I'll think of more later! :D

Last edited:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
lol I voted a lot of options but most importantly is the slimlined design with single AA usage.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
More compact, longer battery life
Not sure I follow this: 14500s are 750 mAh, same as RCR123s :confused: ???
OK, you mentioned a 2x14500 tube but then it definitely wouldn't be compact anymore. Long and thin isn't a good formfactor - for a two-cell variant I'd rather have a 2x123 tube and then you could always whack an 18650 in there.

And a 14500 is longer than a 123, so even a single AA light wouldn't be that much smaller than the current model - OK, perhaps thinner, but then the reflector would be a correspondingly smaller diameter which might not be too good for an XP-G if we get those eventually.

I'm reasonably happy with the low low on mine - if I really need the old night vision I just slap an F05 on the end. Which is another reason why I would prefer keeping the diameter the way it is at the moment.

To be honest, the clicky is pretty much perfect the way it is for me: of course it would be nice to have is some upgraded emitters, which I'm sure will come in time. 320 Lumens out the front would do nicely !

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
lol I voted a lot of options but most importantly is the slimlined design with single AA usage.
Me too! That's why they were the first two options!

Not surprised to see you here and I hope we'll eventually see some of these options come to light.

The one additional option I really want to see is the lower low. I was walking tonight and thinking of what options the poll would have and noticing how the lowest available setting was still many times too bright for my preference, which is that it just barely allows me to see the ground directly in front of me without attenuating my ability to see out into the woods. As it is, it's too bright to shine directly in front of me and I have to hold it so that it's hitting about 20' or 30' in front of me to have gentle light at my feet.

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
1 x AA/14500 Titanium Ra Clicky:

70gqcx.jpg

PS: My thanks & apologies to karlheinz3 whose picture I used without permission as a basis for the above. :eek:

SuperTrouper

Enlightened
This is just the sort of thing the manufacturers should do on the site.

I realise we're probably not the sole demographic they focus on, and I'm not sure if there are any forum rules against it, but it must be interesting for a manufacturer to see this kind of feedback on their offerings.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Not sure I follow this: 14500s are 750 mAh, same as RCR123s :confused: ???
OK, you mentioned a 2x14500 tube but then it definitely wouldn't be compact anymore. Long and thin isn't a good formfactor - for a two-cell variant I'd rather have a 2x123 tube and then you could always whack an 18650 in there.

And a 14500 is longer than a 123, so even a single AA light wouldn't be that much smaller than the current model - OK, perhaps thinner, but then the reflector would be a correspondingly smaller diameter which might not be too good for an XP-G if we get those eventually.

I'm reasonably happy with the low low on mine - if I really need the old night vision I just slap an F05 on the end. Which is another reason why I would prefer keeping the diameter the way it is at the moment.

To be honest, the clicky is pretty much perfect the way it is for me: of course it would be nice to have is some upgraded emitters, which I'm sure will come in time. 320 Lumens out the front would do nicely !
The reason I included the 2xAA tube was that there are lots of Minimag fans out there who love their long, slim lights and you have to remember that not everyone shares your view of what a light should be.

I don't like long lights, but I do like them to be slim as possible and prefer the extra length of the AA form factor over the fatness of CR123. In spite of this preference I can't put down my Clicky!

Of the three Ra lights I have the low on my Twisty 100 is the lowest and I suspect that the circuitry is has stayed essentially the same, allowing the maximum low setting to be determined by the emitter utilized, which would mean that each time a higher output was achieved due to newer emitter, the low would also become higher, which is not good for those of us who would like a lower option. Those like yourself who are happy with the low level presently available would lose nothing in there being an even lower low, as you would choose level 8 for example and I would choose level 1.

If the Ra wasn't such an excellent light it wouldn't be getting all the attention it does, and it's in the interest of seeing it even more perfected that led me to start this thread. I would not mind one bit to see these light capable of breaking the 300 lumen barrier, but would like to see the range expand on both ends as opposed to getting higher only. :naughty:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
1 x AA/14500 Titanium Ra Clicky:
70gqcx.jpg

PS: My thanks & apologies to karlheinz3 whose picture I used without permission as a basis for the above. :eek:
I hope that Karl will not only forgive you but join us here too! If you have two of these can I send you Paypal now? :devil:
This is just the sort of thing the manufacturers should do on the site.

I realise we're probably not the sole demographic they focus on, and I'm not sure if there are any forum rules against it, but it must be interesting for a manufacturer to see this kind of feedback on their offerings.
Good point; it would be great to see every company's site have a poll like this, one in fact that could have approved poll options added by the customer base too.

We're most definitely not the sole demographic, but we're the best ones we've got! :twothumbs

UnderTheWeepingMoon

Enlightened
Here's what I voted:

Slimline design (For those wishing for a Ra on a diet!)
- No. I like the 1" OD formfactor of the current Ras. Slimming the light down means sacrificing reflector size, which reduces beam quality.

Titanium (very good option to pair with Slimline design) - No. Titanium is overrated IMO and unless the light's going to be used in highly corrosive environments, I think it's unnecessary. Ti doesn't do much for durability. The reason Ra lights are so rugged is that their design gives ample protection for the window, the circuit and the battery.

Single AA versions with 2x tube option designed for 14500; operable with alakaline - No. I like 123s and they're what I'm staying with at the moment.

Four level Twisty (Same simple operation with a 4th spot for those wanting one more level) - I voted no just because I'm a Clicky fan but this would be a good feature if it were to be implemented well.

Lower beam option - Yes. The Clicky's minimum is still higher than needed in the middle of the night.

Bezels with the AlTiN or Stonewashed options - Yes. AlTiN bezels are already available and apart from looking cool, I like the idea of stonewashed because there's no need to worry about scratches.

Steel tailcaps to match the bezel - Yes, great idea. I'd buy a couple if they were available with AlTiN.

Failproof tailstanding - Yes. Something that many people have been wanting for years.

New approach to clips - Yes. Some Ti (I know, I said it was overrated, but it has good spring properties and you don't need to worry about it rusting like steel) bezel-down clips would be great. If Spyderco can produce knives with Ti clips, the production cost can't be too high.

HA-III in no-nonsense colours - I voted yes only because I would like the anodising to return to the level of quality of the old HDS EDC lights.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I was hoping that with the tremendous popularity of the Ra lights there'd be more interest in the subject matter, but it just may be that the popularity of them as they already are is the reason this thread has stalled?

Still I hope to see Henry slowly implement some of the ideas here. Regardless of the lack of votes/responses I think there would be very strong interest generated if he was to offer even a handful of these upgrades/options and I'm going to keep posting here every once in a while to at least keep the ideas afloat.

KarstGhost

Enlightened
My Dream Ra light would be a Head Lamp, I would part with some serious cash to have one. You have some great features in the poll as well! :twothumbs

gilly

Enlightened
The one additional option I really want to see is the lower low. I was walking tonight and thinking of what options the poll would have and noticing how the lowest available setting was still many times too bright for my preference, which is that it just barely allows me to see the ground directly in front of me without attenuating my ability to see out into the woods. As it is, it's too bright to shine directly in front of me and I have to hold it so that it's hitting about 20' or 30' in front of me to have gentle light at my feet.

kaichu dento,

Just wondering - were you carrying your Clicky this evening? I struggled through the customization menu with my Clicky 170 and am now very pleased with one of my modes set to the lowest low available (advertised as .08 lumens). I think this is a great setting with lots of utility - preserves night vision very well. Have you experimented with the customization yet?

Great idea on the poll - I'd love to see many of these options available!:twothumbs

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
kaichu dento,

Just wondering - were you carrying your Clicky this evening? I struggled through the customization menu with my Clicky 170 and am now very pleased with one of my modes set to the lowest low available (advertised as .08 lumens). I think this is a great setting with lots of utility - preserves night vision very well. Have you experimented with the customization yet?

Great idea on the poll - I'd love to see many of these options available!:twothumbs
I have it with me every day and used it quite a bit night before last, but even with customization down to the lowest available level is about what I'd like for level 2! My Titan and my MillerMods Arc-P are the only lights I've got that'll go down far enough to make me happy. Since I do have these two lights with the capability to go low enough I'm hopeful that in the future it won't be so rare.

I'm doubtful that Henry will do anything on my wishlist but it's still worthwhile throwing these ideas out there so that up and coming light makers can see the ideas and possibly act on them. I keep wanting to get together with someone who could help me work out a light for someone as finicky as I, and put it to market, although it may be just a pipe dream.

gilly

Enlightened
I too am happy with a light that can go lower - wouldn't mind if Henry bumped it down some. Again, good job on the poll!

HDS_Systems

Enlightened
Kaichu Dento,

Interesting poll.

Do you realize the dark Ra Clicky bezels are already AlTiN? They have been since we introduced them.

We will certainly keep these requests in mind as we go forward.

Henry.

benh

Newly Enlightened
A lower low and AA/2AA battery tube options are both things I'd find attractive.

A new approach to clips would be nice, and a somewhat shorter light would be of interest.

A hybrid twisty/clicky interface sounds interesting, but doesn't set me on fire.

A way to choose one of two levels from off would be neat in addition to the 4 mode selection process now. That is, I could choose either of two levels from off, at any time. (I'd pick low low and standard, for example. I like standard during the day for regular use and low low at night when it's dark.)

I like the current 1" diameter of the light quite a bit, and would not want a smaller reflector.