Dorcy 220 vs Fenix TK11R2

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
OK - I'm overwhelmed... My Dorcy 220 got wet and died. Loved the throw of the light and the simplicity of its recharging, but cant justify another since its not rugged enough. I've done some searching and lots of reading, and was wondering how the Fenix 11R2 would compare? I want something with as much throw (preferrable more) than my old Dorcy. Am I correct to assume the Fenix will have as much, and will be a more durable light? THanks

uknewbie

Banned
Yeah at that price it is a no brainer to me. So cheap. I have been using mine for over a year with no problems, they are very durable.

Beam is a little ringy if you chase white walls but I think the newest models have a slighty op reflector in them now so may not be as bad. Real world use it doesn't matter though. Good throw on them quite a bright hotspot.

Slight negative for me personally is that there is not a low low mode, 64 lumens is still quite bright for many things.

IMSabbel

Enlightened
OK - I'm overwhelmed... My Dorcy 220 got wet and died. Loved the throw of the light and the simplicity of its recharging, but cant justify another since its not rugged enough. I've done some searching and lots of reading, and was wondering how the Fenix 11R2 would compare? I want something with as much throw (preferrable more) than my old Dorcy. Am I correct to assume the Fenix will have as much, and will be a more durable light? THanks

Independent from the qualities of the Fenix...
I simply cannot believe there are non-watertight led lights still produced.
I mean, how hard is it? You already have a solid metal body any no big reflector/window that would be hard to seal...

Damn, my default test of a new light is usually half an hour runtime at the bottom of the bathtub, and i have never had a light fail during this (even all 6 cheap DX ones)

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
dont buy a dorcy 220 then.... so, is will the throw on the fenix be as good???

Advil

Newly Enlightened
I think the throw on the older Q5 is better because it has a smooth reflector, but I could be wrong. I'm pretty sure the newer batches of the R2 have a less smooth one to fix some issues. I'm no expert so i could be wrong.

matchetman

Newly Enlightened
For what it's worth, finally decided on a flashlight and got it in today. Went with the Jetbeam-III M Series (olive green). Seeing how the light will be mainly used for hunting and boated related purposes, this light seemed rugged and well built. I will be honest though, when I got the box and opened it I thought wow that guy is tiny. However, I was really impressed with the throw of it, and the UI is even straightforward enough for a "Nonflashaholic" like myself to figure out... So far, I am happy with my purchase. Now, just gotta figure out the deal with keeping threads and o-rings greased good.... Thanks for the input guys.