Quark 123-2 -sized flashlight - traveling when flying?

Salamander1

Newly Enlightened
Do any of you take your Quark 123-2 -sized flashlights with you traveling when flying? If so, do you carry it in your pocket? In your carry-on? In your checked luggage?

miteemike3

Newly Enlightened
Don't have a Quark, but I've taken my Surefire E1e and LX1 Lumamax through a few airports in my carry on luggage with no issues. Now, my 6PD and E2DL- those get checked in. Common sense with any "defender" type of bezel/ tailcap at an airport should be followed... if in doubt, check it in.

carrot

Flashaholic
Last time I flew (this January) I got through the TSA checkpoint with over a dozen flashlights. They didn't care one bit, but took a little while longer to scan them...

travelinman

Enlightened
Done a lot of travelling in the past couple of years. Europe, Middle East, S. America, lots in Canada, Caribbean etc....No problem, although some S. American airlines have a printed warning on their tickets that states you can't put Li-Ion batteries in checked luggage. (my guess is they figure if they "explode" you can get to them to put them out :confused: I've always just put my M20 in my carry on bag and no one has said anything about it even when they checked my bags by hand.

adnj

Enlightened
I fly internationally very often and keep them in my laptop bag.

While flying you may be required to carry any LiIon batteries with you. You may be asked to open your carry-on so that the lights can be inspected. You will be required to take the light out of your pocket along with your keys, change, belt, shoes, jacket, etc.

There is a review of how LiIon batteries on airplanes pending. You may be barred from carrying any spares (flashlight, laptop, etc.) on the flight.

savumaki

Enlightened
I am retired now however I did fly a lot in the past for work; I never found the need to have a light anywhere but in my checked in luggage.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I have flown extensively during the past 20 years, and have ALWAYS had a flashlight in my carry on briefcase. Never once, even post-9/11, have I been questioned by security screeners about it. Nonetheless, if I ever am asked why I have a flashlight, I will respond with words to the effect that "I have a flashlight with me for exactly the same reason that Federal Air Regulations require the pilot and first officer on this flight to have flashlights".

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
From what Ive read about the hassles with 'security', I would be pleasantly suprised if I was not hassled for carrying my Quark RGB or Turbo 18650 Quark on my belt.

still find myself confused about the CR123s rCR123s, 14500, 18650 on board.

I can not carry spare cells in checked luggage?

I can? carry a CR123/rCR123 or other Lithium Ion cells in the light.

I can also transport that same light /cell in checked luggage?

Dude Dudeson

Enlightened
Treat an airline flight like a concert.

Laws don't matter. They may or may not let you in depending on what you're carrying, and this mostly depends on WHO YOU'RE DEALING WITH.

That is the answer to any governmental/regulatory question, and it's worth repeating: It depends on WHO YOU'RE DEALING WITH.

Laws don't count. Policies don't count. They shape the general reality of things, but human beings are in charge of implementing them.

Whoever's never got two different answers to the same question from a company or government hasn't lived long/much....

EDIT: Obviously there are areas that are truly black and white - you're not boarding an airliner with a machine gun in hand. But questions about flashlights on airplanes - I stand by my post there.

Last edited: