Question about head on Quark Tactical

RTTR

Newly Enlightened
I've been on these forums for a couple years but pretty new to all the modern advances in high output LED flashlights.

I'm thinking about picking up a Quark 123/2 Tactical but I have a question about its UI. I've read all I can read about it, and watched all the videos on it that I can find.

On the Tactical version you can set 2 modes in the memory and select them by tightening and loosening the head. When the head is in loose mode, does it want to back off the threads or is it not turning on the actual threads of the battery tube? I don't quite understand the whole concept. Without having used one before it seems to me like if I loosen the head to change modes it will just come off when moving it around and possible vibrations backing it off. Or is that not the case.

desertrat21

Newly Enlightened
The o-rings and tight tolerances provide plenty of resistance and prevent the head from unscrewing all the way. The terms "tight" and "loose" when used for mode positioning might be misleading. In all actuality they just refer to the position of the head... not the level of resistance to rotation.

FYI... the tactical versions of the 4Sevens lights are my favorites. :twothumbs

timbo114

Enlightened
I own a Quark 123 2 T Warm ... love it.
Loose head truly means about 1/8 turn from tight to 'not as tight'.
The head would never come loose to the point of causing a problem.

Buy the light - you'll love it.

carrot

Flashaholic
When the head is loosened, you still have what looks to me like 4mm of threads before the head actually comes off. There has never been a problem with this type of switching mechanism in the past and likely never will be...

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you watch David's hands as he programs the light, it's a quick short move to make "loose." I can program mine with one hand if I choose, and I agree that you'll like the Quark.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering about the same thing, it turned out it works just fine. it does what it's supposed to do, the head is secure and is not going anywhere. you only turn it about 90 degrees, the threads offer some resistance, etc. - it's not like opening a jar of pickles, where first you apply a lot of force, then lose control, and then the lid disappears under the fridge never to be seen again :)

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about picking up a Quark 123/2 Tactical
Without having used one before it seems to me like if I loosen the head to change modes it will just come off when moving it around and possible vibrations backing it off. Or is that not the case.
Like the others have said, the lubricated O-ring seals the head for water resistance and provides a moderate amount of resistance to rotation of the head. If you've ever used a Maglite, the focus head works with the same principle using an O-ring to seal and secure the head. Once you get the light, you'll quickly understand why it's not an issue.
:thumbsup:
As for your choice of light, I recently bought the Quark AAx2 Tactical R5 and it's a great little light. In fact, it's replacing both a MiniMag LED and MagLED 3D as it does everything they do (and more) all in one small light. It comes with useful goodies and I ordered mine on a Monday and received it the next day. I'm very happy with the Quark and 4Sevens service.
:twothumbs