NEW to CPF, Need advice for new lights.

SirDustyBut

Newly Enlightened
Wow man. I saw this sight threw SD if you guys have heard of it...

I have been reading so many forums since I found this sight my head is spinning.... Im an instant addict.

BUT I am still ignorant to all the great wisdom you all hold about lights. So I humble ask you all to help me.

I recently had my car broken into and somethings taken and I need a replacement for 2 flashlights pretty quickly

I am in need of a replacement for my Mini-mag 2 AA.
( if my terms are right ) I need my new light to have better throw then flood. And also be in the AA size range. Id prefer 2AA over anything else. Id like something with a full power, 1/2 power and off.... no need for a strobe. But id like 2 different power levels. I would like to keep the cost under 50$

Also I need a replacement for my 3D cell Mag ( this was a incandescent But id like an LED ) Pretty much this light needs to be strong enough to be a club if needed but a flashlight first. Something in the 3D range. But Id look at some C cell lights. Nothing bigger then 3D though. Under 80 bucks would be best.

Any help would be great guys ! thanks !

jenskh

Enlightened
If you want to stick to your budget, I would recommend Solarforce L2r as the 2AA light. If you are willing to spend a few dollars more, I would recommend the Dereelight Javelin which is more elegant (very elegant), and with more light output. I have both of them and also likes both.

vali

Enlightened
If you want a fairly cheap light just in case the car incident happens again I would go with the romisen RC-N3 from shiningbeam: 2xAA (or CR123A), 2 modes, 2 hour high, 10 hour low and bright enough.

If you want something "better", get a Quark 2xAA tactical: 2xAA and 2 modes (wich can be chosen) or, for something even more rugged, a Fenix TK-20.

There are almost no D or C flashlights with a high-power led. Maybe a multi D maglite with a drop-in?

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you want to stick to your budget, I would recommend Solarforce L2r as the 2AA light. If you are willing to spend a few dollars more, I would recommend the Dereelight Javelin which is more elegant (very elegant), and with more light output. I have both of them and also likes both.

+1 for Javelin

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Second on taking a look at Shiningbeam, and they give a cpf discount.

Some of the Romisen offerings are incredible deals and the quality very surprising in this price range. Particularly the ones they have upgraded.

You could be out the door for less than $50 with a couple of lights.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I recently had my car broken into and somethings taken and I need a replacement for 2 flashlights pretty quickly
:welcome:
This is odd, you had stolen the same two lights I own but have replaced with a single high output flashlight (no I didn't steal yours).
I am in need of a replacement for my Mini-mag 2 AA.
( if my terms are right ) I need my new light to have better throw then flood. And also be in the AA size range. Id prefer 2AA over anything else. Id like something with a full power, 1/2 power and off.... no need for a strobe. But id like 2 different power levels. I would like to keep the cost under 50$
Just about any decent high output light will make the MiniMag look like a toy in comparison. I have the LED version and no longer use it because I recently bought a Quark AAx2 Tactical with R5 emitter. It has several times the output with a much more useful throw and flood/spill. It even lasts longer with brighter output. Of course it also has 4 lower settings that will fit many situations with much better runtime.
4Sevens also quotes lumens out the front, not at the emitter, so it's brighter than the numbers suggest if you compare to many other vendors who quote emitter output. Actual emitter output is about 270 lumens with 206 OTF.
Also I need a replacement for my 3D cell Mag ( this was a incandescent But id like an LED ) Pretty much this light needs to be strong enough to be a club if needed but a flashlight first. Something in the 3D range. But Id look at some C cell lights. Nothing bigger then 3D though. Under 80 bucks would be best.
I also have the Mag 3D in LED version (which is 2-3x brighter than the incandescent bulb), and the same little Quark has replaced it as it throws almost as far as the big Mag, but with a lot more light output for the larger hotspot and spill light, and of course it's a heck of a lot smaller and lighter for general use. The big Mag also has a lot of throw (more than the incandescent) but very little spill so I find it's annoying to use as the hotspot is so tight. Now if you want a heavy light for "clubbing bad guys", then you should still consider a large light similar to the Mag but with a brighter drop-in replacement lamp. Or maybe even the new LED version of the 3D would be bright enough.

If you want to read reviews, check out some of Selfbuilt's threads in the review section or check out his main site with links to reviews. Lots of really good info on various lights:

http://www.sliderule.ca/flashlight.htm
:thumbsup:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
If you are willing to spend a few dollars more, I would recommend the Dereelight Javelin which is more elegant (very elegant), and with more light output.
+2 here, I don't have this unit but have read very good things about it here regarding performance on 2xAA. :thumbsup:

BTW I hear you on wanting a multiple-output LED without strobe, 'Fenix' seems to provide good bang-for-the-buck, but the only one I have is the 1xAAA LD01 since that's one of their few units that have only med/low/hi modes.

Good luck BTW, I'd like to keep inexpensive lights in my car as well, but I've already drank the SureFire KoolAid, so :ohgeez:

Last edited: