Are there AA/AAA 300+ lumen lights available?

joe1512

Enlightened
I know about the TK40 and Polestar which use 6-8 AAs and spit out 700 lumens.

Ive looked at the various 1xAA, 1xAAA lights that can deliver 150ish.

I am wondering if there is any middle ground? Are there any 3xAAAs that are notably brighter? The 2xAA reviews Ive seen show some nice lights, but they really dont' seem to be any brighter than the 1xAA ones.

Are there any short,fat, 3xAA lights? Or a mini-polestar with 6xAAA?

Wiggle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the new EagleTac 2xAA redesign is pushing nearly 300 with upgraded XP-G emitter. Sorry I can't remember the model.

scout24

Flashaholic
Forum member Sabrewolf modded a Jetbeam 1xAA for me a while back with a P7 that pushes your 300 lumen figure on 14500 Li-ion batteries, and will work on regular AA's, just not as bright. Retains all of the Jetbeam programming, multi level brightness so you can get some runtime, and not just have a handwarmer. :rolleyes: I am relatively sure he will still do these. If you are interested, shoot him a PM...

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out FiveMega' MAG 1D-to-3AA and MAG 1D-to-4AA kits. The latter requires a bored-out MAG body. You'll find them in the Custom B/S/T forum.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Check out the dereelight javelin with x-pg. You can add a mc-e drop in but the r5 is plenty.

bfksc

Newly Enlightened
I am wondering if there is any middle ground? Are there any 3xAAAs that are notably brighter? The 2xAA reviews Ive seen show some nice lights, but they really dont' seem to be any brighter than the 1xAA ones.
With honest output numbers, the 2xAA should have about twice the output of the 1xAA lights at the same runtime. When you're looking at lights, you have to remember that many quote possible lumen output at the emitter. But the design of the light greatly affects the true output, so even if an emitter is capable of 300 lm the flashlight may only produce 200 lm out the front, or 100 lm with double the runtime. Many cheaper companies quote the emitter output simply for the higher numbers, yet the light often has the same or substantially LESS output compared to better quality units after running for 30-60 minutes. Some have no current regulated driver circuits, so the light starts out bright, but quickly dims as the battery voltage sags and continues to dim just like older incandescent lights (but without the awful colour change). I want my light to maintain brightness from the moment I turn it on with fresh cells until it's almost dead where the brightness drops a level or two to indicate low batteries.
Are there any short,fat, 3xAA lights? Or a mini-polestar with 6xAAA?
After using a light with a 3xAAA plastic cartridge, I tend to shy away from them. I don't like the design (more failure points) and the cartridges are generally rather cheap and easy to break. I think the general consensus here is to avoid cartridges.

About the best output you can expect right now with 2xAA (Alk/NiMH) is around 200-220 real lumens. My Quark AAx2 with XP-G R5 emitter produces 206 lumens out the front and other models can produce a little more with larger reflectors or driving the emitter a little harder. Of course, you also have to factor in the beam profile as that can affect your perception of light output. For instance, when shining my MagLED 3D down the road, it can throw quite well with a tight hotspot and very little spill. But it's overall output is substantially lower (only about 50lm output) than my Quark (206lm) which lights up the area in front of me, a house, and a stopsign, rather than just a stopsign for the Mag. I find the Quark is a lot more useful as it lights up a lot rather than just a spot.
:thumbsup:

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Dereelight javelin with 3xAA NIMH cells and a MCE drop in will do ~300-400 OTF. My DX MCE module was recently measured at 350 in this host. Its not short or fat by any stretch though.

Last edited:

joe1512

Enlightened
I dont have any DIY experience, and these are intended as gifts. Hence the requirement for AA/AAA format, and I would want to get a standalone package.

I should have qualified this, as I forgot about the DIY crowd here. :)

I might consider CR123s, but Id hate for him to go bankrupt changing the batteries. I doubt he could even get them in the boonies.

I could buy him a charger, but I don't want to give him 18650s or other lithium batteries that are 'dangerous'. I am willing to work with 18650s, but I don't want to give a gift that requires a 10 minute talk on voltage regulation, minimum/maximum charge voltage, and care&feeding of lithium batteries.
I guess I could go with the 'Safe' chemistry batteries but I dont know much about them or which ones to get.

joe1512

Enlightened
Hey, that looks like a pretty good option. Thanks!

Although for that price, I might just go with a Polestar instead.