Tiger's Apology?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Just heard the news on the radio, and they reported, like it was important breaking news, that Tiger would make a statement at 11:00 AM on Friday. My immediate thought was, who the heck cares.

I know it's been a big story and all, but it seems there is really something wrong with us when private matters like this become scheduled breaking news.

I'd rather he came out and said his private life is none of our dang business. He's just a golfer for heaven's sake.

Geoff

gorn

Enlightened
Just heard the news on the radio, and they reported, like it was important breaking news, that Tiger would make a statement at 11:00 AM on Friday. My immediate thought was, who the heck cares.

I know it's been a big story and all, but it seems there is really something wrong with us when private matters like this become scheduled breaking news.

I'd rather he came out and said his private life is none of our dang business. He's just a golfer for heaven's sake.

Geoff

I've got to agree 100% with you.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast

Geoff

:crackup:yup! for the longest time i didnt even know what happened, just knew he was on the news constanstly. its part of the reason why i rarely ever watch tv. 99% of what is being shoved in front of your face is crap. i actually feel tv forces itself upon me, cause someone else turns it on.

Patriot

Flashaholic

+3 or 4 now...

Apparently there's a huge portion of the population who really gets into this stuff. I wonder why it is that the world is so enthralled with scandal. We know that behavior like this is wrong but maybe as humans we want to see what happens to the famous guy that got caught. Ultimately every person on earth is guilty of transgression according to Mosiac law and knowing this is perhaps why I don't care to follow the story or details. I actually just feel badly that we as human beings struggle with character iniquities of one form or another. In other words, "I pity the fool" including myself. :tinfoil: I hope that the children who were innocently caught up in this mess somehow aren't greatly effected by it all but I know that's not usually the case.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
It's not just Tiger Woods who I'm tired of hearing about, it's celebrity gossip in general. Supposedly crap like this takes the place of real news because it sells. I personally find that difficult to believe. If it's true then people are sicker than I thought. It's more like those in the news business feel the general public has no interest in real news, so instead they foist this garbage upon us because it's lot easier for their reporters to generate stories about gossip than research real news. I know for years the media in general has treated their viewers like morons, but in the last decade or so it's gotten totally out of hand. News programs are dumbed down to the point where it's disgusting. I can listen to 3 hours of TV news, then find I really learned nothing I couldn't learn from 3 minutes online. Besides limiting every news story, no matter how inherently complex, to an asinine 30 second sound bite, the way in which news is presented is totally contemptible. You'll have a "teaser story" which might sound relatively interesting coming up "next". In general "next" means you have to sit through 20 or 30 minutes of mindless celebrity gossip ( plus about 7 or 8 commercial breaks ) and/or recycled "news" ( i.e. hey, did you know apples are bad for you? ) before the "big story" comes on. When it does, it's the usual 30 second sound bite. Or even worse they'll only tell part of it, and say we'll have the rest on tomorrow. It's all calculated to draw people in and keep them watching in the name of ratings. They haven't figured out yet they're alienating their audience bit by bit by treating them like complete morons. Well, maybe they're partially correct at this point. TV news is so dumbed down and inane I'm sure at this point only morons haven't figured out it's generally not worth watching. Morons and also the older demographic, who still for some reason would rather get their news this way. Perhaps they remember the golden years of TV news, but can't yet grasp that those days are long gone. Oh, and I hate the way all female newscasters these days seem to have the exact same voice. Is there really one person out there doing a voiceover for all female anchors? It sure seems that way. Also, they all talk really loud and sound like they have marbles in their mouths.

But yes, I totally agree with the sentiment of everyone else here. Tiger Wood's private life isn't news. It's his business. Unfortunately though both the news and his mistresses see indiscretion as an excuse for a big pay day. I really wish he would come out, just say this is nobody's business except mine and my (ex?) wife's. And then refuse to publicly talk about it any more. I would also like some antistalking laws to come out which could be applied to paparazzi. These people are violating the rights of those they stalk. It's not about freedom of the press here. What happens in some celebrity's private life isn't so important that the general public has to know. Put enough of these reporters in jail, plus sue the rags they write for for defamation. Maybe in time that'll fix the problem. If there's no real news that day, guess what, you either have a smaller paper or a shorter news program. You don't put in "filler" just for air time.

Databyter

Enlightened
I agree 100%.

Not only do they prioritize this dribble, but they don't do any real investigative journalism anymore on the things that DO matter, with few exceptions.

They regurgitate the daily propoganda from their masters and ignore the not to hard to find truths that most people are not exposed to.:candle:

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The movie Absence of Malice comes to mind. I don't care if he's a playboy myself but I feel for his wife and kids. It's not newsworthy for sure. People do love gossip and starting trouble though.

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
He certainly doesn't owe me or mine any apology, he does owe his wife and children far more.
The whole thing is for him to save face and hopefully get back some endorsements IMHO.

saabgoblin

Enlightened
I agree with both you and Geoff because I feel that it just feeds into tabloid journalism. I prefer to watch the news for actual news, a rare commodity these days, and should I care to watch TMZ or Entertainment Tonight for fluff then I'll seek out those channels for entertainment purposes.

I feel that human interest stories are nice in the news for levity and noting the passing of popular individuals but I feel that we are all too consumed with everybodies dirty laundry, no thank you, I need the quaters for my wash at the laundrymat.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
This morning on one of the local radio shows (Brad and Britt) they put forth the thought that Tiger really needed to bare his soul tomorrow at the "press conference". Almost to a person everyone calling in to respond pretty much felt like I do that he really didn't owe an explanation to anyone but his wife and family and that it shouldn't be public. Many thought he should basically tell all to kiss off. The radio guys were astounded by this reaction.

I don't know. Maybe I and most of the radio audience have gotten desensitized to bad behavior by public figures. Like Beamhead said I suppose he must do it for face and endorsements. He need not for me. Never thought of him as anything but perhaps the greatest golfer ever. Hope he hasn't lost it.

Geoff

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I gotta ask a honest question here.

If Tiger Woods didn't have golf skills and worked as Night Manager at subway how many 'bimbo eruptions' would we be having? None. I mean seriously, he got all these chicks because he's famous and has $$$$.

Assuming the scenario above, what are the odds he would have married a supermodel? Likely 1 to (number of sub atomic particles in known universe). So, Elin got herself a rich husband because some other sports star / movie star / business tycoon wasn't available.

Yo Tiger, fist bump. Can I be wingman? :laughing:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
Who would have thought that tons of money would be an afrodisiac to skanky cocktail waitresses?? That should be the Breaking News.:shrug:

DimmerD

Enlightened
I agree it's his business and not ours, the media only does it because people like that kind of stuff. I guess misery loves company?
Anyway the difference between Santa and Tiger is Santa stopped at 3 ho's!!!:naughty:

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tiger: "Folks, I'm really sorry and torn up about all of this; I made a mistake. 19 times, in fact. Well, now that I think about it, if it's 19 women and I "mistaked" with each one multiple times, that's around, um,... I'm only human afterall and ask for everyone's understanding and forgiveness for these moments of weakness".

Press: Hey Tiger, could you please sum up your thoughts about shagging available cocktail waitresses on the sly in upscale hotels and all?

Tiger: :hitit:

Empath

Flashaholic
One of the reasons we included a forum called "Headline News/Domestic" in our Underground board. We apparently knew that some of news discussions would be beyond family friendly. This topic is one. There's no reason to think it wouldn't continue to devolve.

Take it to the Underground. Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.