Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x123?

NewsFlash

Enlightened
I've held off of even liking the 123 lights because of the supposedly expensive batteries. Just bought some lith's from TTS. I intend to mod my M*gl*te 2D to 3x123's and 6 cell bulb first. But I am saving my pennies up for something smaller in size. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Any suggestions? I don't want to look like an LEO when I'm out and about (not that there's anything wrong with that, but I'm not one). I want something sorta classy and dressy, but the main thing is quality and durability. It has to work! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

My first looks are at Streamlight Scorpion, Legend LX and SF G2Z. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Thanking you all in advance! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

robk

Enlightened
Legend LX - cheap and bright. Once you get a taste, you'll need a SureFire E2E for incandescent 123X2 and an L4 for LED 5W 123x2. It never ends!
Rob

paulr

Flashaholic
UKE 2L. Not as bright as the E2e or Scorpion, but longer runtime, total waterproofness, near indestructability, and lighter in weight than any other 2x123 that I know of (though the E2e is a tiny bit smaller in size). About $25 from Brightguy.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want a great incan with focus and throw and aren't concerned with a few extra ounces, the Pelican M6 is my favorite. It's the one to have around the house and in the car. Around $38 from Brightguy. LED mod to come from Mr. Bulk.

If you want the ultimate EDC, the E2e at around twice as much, but it's worth it. Lighter and smaller than the PM6, adaptable and just plain AWESOME!
15 lumen lamp, KL1, KL4 and 60 Lumen lamp are the accessories. Not to mention a P61 lamp assembly mod for that I need more than 100 lumen times.

-Jason

FNG

Enlightened
G2Z

Im ordering a P61, SC1, and case of SF batteries on Monday for mine.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Got bit by the lith bug! Best entry level 2x1

Well for classy and dressy I would recomend the Satin Gray E2e[-SG]. It looks a little "less LEO" than the E2e-HA plus it is a little bit cheaper. The finish is not quite as rugged, but it sounds like to want a Sunday go to church type light so the finish shouldn't be a problem.

Catman10

Enlightened

I'd also recommend getting a Pelican M6, in silver. I just recieved mine last week and they are very nice looking. E2e is also a good choice.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast

Budget class:
Brinkmann Legend LX (It's on sale now for $13.99 at Sports Authority)
Surefire G2

If you've got the money:
Surefire L4 or E2e

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Brinkmann Legend LX is a good entry level 2x123 incan. Another excellent 2x123 is the Inova X5T, which has an excellent balance between brightness and runtime (20 hours total) and 5 LEDs. It is a nice bright flood and is waterproof.

pahl

Enlightened

The Surefire G2 was my first CR123 light.
You have some option with the G2. You can get the rechargeable kit for it. You can get a cell tube so it can run off of three batteries. You can also get higher power lamps and a LED bezel for it. You can also use a G2Z glass bezel on it.

Lots of options for a $30 light.

For what you can do with the G2 and the light output it gives you right out of the box I think the only thing that makes it a entry level lith. light is the price.

My second G2 should maybe be here today /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

My first 2x123 light was the Legend LX. It is plenty bright, holds well, the switch is okay, but the head diameter seems WAY bigger than it really needs to be.

My second 2x123 light was the SF G2 in OD Green. Doesn't have the hotspot of my LX (or to be mentioned PM6) but is a nice flood of pretty bright light. Holds well, original switch was okay, but much better now with a Kroll Classic from the Sandwich Shoppe.

My third and so far favorite 2x123 light is the Pelican M6. Mine is black, and I think Silver would look 'dressier'. I trimmed the spring on the back of the light module to shorten mine a bit. It feels indestructable. With the tail cap backed off until I have to push the button very firmly it is a joy to use. The light is brighter than the other two lights I mentioned. In fact it is a brighter spot than the light that my SL Stinger HP (with Writeright) puts out! You can find a PM6 for certainly less than $40 shipped and I urge you to do so!

Those are the only three 2x123 lights I currently own. I was going to add a UK 2L to my recent Brightguy Order, but the total was getting too high! I have not convinced myself to get an E2 or P6 due to the cost of same. If you can hack it, do what the others (particularly the SF zealots! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif ) say and get the E2E, due to the customizing it allows.

But I don't think you can go wrong with PM6....

paulr

Flashaholic

The Streamlight Twin Task 2L hasn't been mentioned here but I think you should consider it. It's sort of a poor man's SF A2. It's larger than the E2 but has a nice incan bulb surrounded by three LED's so you can get either low or high output by repeatedly clicking the switch. That's not as nice an arrangement as the A2 has, but it's workable, and the light has gotten generally positive reviews. I haven't tried one myself yet.

ZENGHOST

Enlightened

"Classy and Dressy" I think has to be Surefire. The aforementioned E2/E2e in grey or the L4.

DHCrocks

Newly Enlightened

Hands down the Brinkman LX is the best value out there. It's cheap as you can get and brighter then the e2e. Only draw back is it's size, it's larger then the other 2-123's but it's a great value none the less for your first light. And you can also pick them up a Walmart.

Overamp

Newly Enlightened

"I want something sorta classy and dressy, but the main thing is quality and durability. It has to work!"

You must bite the bullet and find a McLux!

jtice

Flashaholic

Mclux parts can be found at dat2zips site. web page

He will also be selling completely built Mcluxs. Send him a PM.

Slick

Flashlight Enthusiast

For an entry level 2x123 I'd have to recommend the Dorcy Spyder. They are not widely available yet, but only cost $23.99 for 2 lights! And they are surprisingly well made to boot!

tech

Newly Enlightened

Inova X5T...it's just nice!

T.