Need advice: Mag-C P7 Flood-Light

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I've read a lot of Mag-Mod threads, but it seems like most of them are related to throwers, but I didn't find a lot information about building a flood light.

Which components should I choose to make a Mag P7 Flood light? I would prefer parts from DX, since shipping to Switzerland would be too expensive, if I order from the US.

Additional info / what I already have:
Host:
Maglite 3c (will be cut down, and re-threaded as soon as I know how short I can make it). The Problem with my mag is, that I've cut down the threading on the head:
P1000200-300x259.jpg

So I might have to find a solution for that..

Tailcap clickie might be an Option, but I'm not sure yet.

Batteries:
2*18650 in Series
Spacers which are attached to the cells, to fit C-Size diameter.

I've used a DX 3*Cree "Drop-In" from DX in the past, but that's too much of a thrower, and the Modes were annoying.
sku_9358_11-300x300.jpg

http://www.nicobaumgartner.ch/blog/?p=38

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Get a 52*1.9 mm UCL or Borofloat lens with the LDF (Light Diffusion Film) option from http://www.flashlightlens.com. $6.25+$3
Because the package is thin enough it can be shipped as a letter which is a lot less than for a parcel.

-----

flashlightlens was out of LDF when I bought my UCL lens a year ago so I made my own with Glad Press n Seal.

Mag 3C P7 no diffusion filter.
Filter-none-MgP7.jpg

Mag 3C P7 with diffusion filter.
Filter-MgP7.jpg

Note the Mag P7 with 52 mm reflector throws a lot more than a 18650 DX P7 with 34 mm reflector. You may still have too much throw replacing the 3 XRE with a P7 in a Mag.
Mag P7 left, MTE P7 right:
P7MagvsMTE2.jpg

Last edited:

chefgrill

Newly Enlightened
I've tried diffusing the output by sanding the original plastic lens, that did help a lot, but I've still had a quite narrow hotspot (similar to your beamshot). I didn't mention that I've killed the 3*XRE module while I've tried to remove the modes, and then removed the leds, because I can use them for another project.

I also wasn't too happy with the output / I think the P7 should be brighter, but I might be wrong.

So smaller Optics would mean more flood...!? What about those Plastic lenses, which fit on the Led itself?

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those plastic lenses tend to give you a single spot instead of hotspot and spill.

Elektrolumens My Little Friend 3*LuxIII with lens left, MTE P7 with reflector right.
MLFhighP7high.jpg

LED specific.
You can get different angles of beamspread.