One reflector fits all?

dymonite69

Newly Enlightened
I came to this forum with the intention of obtaining some basic information on purchasing a flashlight. Instead I have found the science behind it even more fascinating. Flashlight design is indeed an exercise in applied optics.

This post was prompted by observations made by some that even something simple as changing a LED model can dramatically alter the beam pattern. And I have noted that manufacturers produce reflectors specifically designed for a particular LED. Initially this seemed puzzling to me.

It was only when I realised that even minute changes in the LED geometry and positioning within the reflector can alter the path of the light as it exits the torch.

It was upon this contemplation that made me wonder if the point source could me made uniform regardless of the LED model.

I noticed this product mentioned in another thread:

http://www.polymer-optics.co.uk/products LED optics cree.html

which directly couples the light to a minature lens/collimator which then can be connected to an optical fibre.

If the other end of the fibre was placed in the reflector's focal point wouldn't an identical point source be produced regardless of the properties of the LED? Hence requiring only one reflector regardless of the original LED used?