Ra EDC Executive 120 or Novatac 85T?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I'm waiting to see whether I managed to glom onto one of the last Ra 85-TRs still available, I'm formulating my backup plan.

I had decided that I'd just get the EDC Executive, if I couldn't cath an 85-TR, but then I remembered there were some older Novatacs still available.

(I seem to recall that there is something up with Ra and Novatac and I have the impression that the two oughtn't be mentioned in the same thread....but forgive me.)

Anyway, the Novatac 85T has some appeal. My understanding is that it's a good light, and older pre-Ra model designed by the same fellow who designed, and I guess now runs, Ra lights. My understanding too is that the Ra is generally considered to be of superior build quality, have newer more efficient LEDs, and have better firmware. Am I correct that one big difference is that the Ras have better runtime at least 1 hour as opposed to about 30 mins for the Novatacs on high?

That said, is the Novatac 85T a good deal at $70, or is there really no reason to get that over the Ra EDC Executive 120 for $99? Actually, the Novatac 120T me be available for about $90, so should I consider that, too?

Is there a substantial difference in the UIs between the Ras and Novatacs?

Are there some positive qualities or features to the NovaTacs not present in the Ras?

I don't mean to beat a dead horse here, so if this has been debated endlessly before, a link to an earlier thread would be fine, and I can try to figure it out.

bigfoot

Enlightened
The Novatac 85T can be "cracked" to provide access to the hidden programming modes (see link):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213286

Both the Novatac 85T and HDS / Ra EDC Executive will give you a high of 85 lumens. The EDC Exec. will give you a "boost" mode of 120 lumens for about ten seconds, if I remember right. Then it drops back down to 85 lumens.

You are correct -- the Novatac 85T gives a runtime on high of 30 minutes. The EDC Exec. should provide a runtime on high of an hour. The UI's are essentially the same.

Honestly, I would go for the EDC Executive, even though it costs a little more. Newer product, newer design. Also, Henry stands behind his products 110%, and they are made in the USA. I believe Novatac has moved a lot of its production offshore. To some folks that matters, to others, not as much.

Last edited:

Brigadier

Enlightened
My EDC is an older, made in USA 85T with a P tailcap. Excellent light. Is it the brightest out there? No. But it runs on RCR123's, has a great form factor, carries BEZEL DOWN - something that has kept me from getting a Ra, the beam is flawless in color and shape - a nice hotspot that BLENDS into generous spill, and a UI that quite frankly, IMHO, is the best. I CCW, and need a light for defensive applications, the 85T ALWAYS turns on in hi mode, and no matter what mode I am in, tactical strobe is a thumb press away. Perfect.

standard.jpg

Don't leave home without it.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I'm sorry, but we just ran out of the 85TR and will likely not be able to
get anymore.

Regards,

Jeremiah Johnson"

Well, here I am. Ra or Novatac? $100 or $70?

Lost Hawaiian

Newly Enlightened
I love my NovaTacs and don't think you can go wrong with one, depending on which one you get. I have a 120P and 2 85P's that have performed flawlessly for years. The 120P gets use everyday and has been my "go-to" light since I bought it.

Of the newer models that have become available in the last 6 months or so, several are produced offshore, but the 120M and SPL-120 are Made in the USA. Awhile back I picked up one of each to see what they were like, and so far haven't had any issues. Here's some pics in this post
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/255359
Both of these were tactical models, but they both unlocked with the easter egg.

There are still good deals on eBay for the SPL, which is a NT with both the NT name and SL markings on it. There's one listed now for $59.95. I guess folks don't realize that this light is basically the same as a 120P for a fraction of the cost.

Having said all this, I did get an order in for an Ra85Tr 2 days ago and it should be in my mailbox tomorrow. :D

I think it's going to be every bit as good as my NTs. I'll put up a comparison when it arrives.

Hope this helps,

Rich

chaoss

Enlightened
I have an 85T and it's a great light.
The Lighthound deal + the discount was too hard to pass on.

The 3 preset levels are perfect (i don't use strobe) and the bezel down clip is a plus also (IMO Ra clips are fugly :eek:oo:).

Whatever light (of the two you mentioned) you end up choosing will be a good one.

whoisvince

Newly Enlightened
Did you try picking up the Ra from Battery Station? There's a CPF discount link in the CPF marketplace forums. I ordered one yesterday and it's on the way. You just have to remember to put in your CPF username in the order form.

mikeymoto

Newly Enlightened
I'm gonna buy from the guy who designed the lights.

I'm glad I squeezed an order in there before they ran out, because I knew otherwise I'd regret it down the road.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try picking up the Ra from Battery Station? There's a CPF discount link in the CPF marketplace forums. I ordered one yesterday and it's on the way. You just have to remember to put in your CPF username in the order form.

Yeah, I put an order in on Wednesday evening, but got the "sorry we're out" e-mail on Thursday afternoon. And I did put in my CPF username. I suspect it was just a question of whose order got processed first.

(I should be asking for a kickback from BatteryStation for starting the other 85-TR v. EDC Exec thread. Hey do the Surefire Junkies know they've got C2L's for $99? ....I want my percentage!)

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
... (I should be asking for a kickback from BatteryStation for starting the other 85-TR v. EDC Exec thread. Hey do the Surefire Junkies know they've got C2L's for $99? ....I want my percentage!)
LOL - I know you are just joking, but please be careful - such comments can be misconstrued, and shills receive the same treatment as spammers here... :rolleyes:

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL - I know you are just joking, but please be careful - such comments can be misconstrued, and shills receive the same treatment as spammers here... :rolleyes:

As well they should. Point taken, DM51, it was all meant in good fun.

I'm surpised I'd never noticed this 85-Tr before, and I'm glad a few other people took an interest in it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed and hope that Ra brings out a new Twisty, with a slighly brighter warm tint emitter and the red low. Now THAT would be a great camping/hunting/fishing/stargazing light!

Max Brightness

Enlightened
I was asking the same thing a few months back and I ended up buying both just so I could compare ;).

I can say the following for me...

1. I like the Novatac slim clip so I bought one for my Ra.
  2. I like the tactical switch on the Novatac so I got one of those for the Ra.
  3. I prefer the improved design of the spring on the head section of the Ra. The spring on my Novatac is now distorted. It doesn't seem to have any effect right now though.
  4. I prefer the newer design of the cleaner battery tube in the Ra whereas the Novatac has a spring inside the battery tube that goes around the battery.
  5. I like the more neutral tint from my Novatac.
  6. I like the longer length (~1cm) and shape of the Ra. I find it easier to hold.

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Having missed out on the Twisty with its twist switch and red low, I ended up going for a NovaTac 85 T from Lighthound. I liked the three light levels, ultra law, low and high. I also liked the UI, and the clip. Oh, and the price. And I thought since they aren't being made anymore, and they do seem to be nice lights, I probably couldn't go wrong getting one.

My reasoning in part was, if I'm going to have to spend more to get the Ra Clicky, I might as well get the Clicky I really want, which would mean a custom built one with a warm tint emitter and a smooth bezel. So that's what I'll do a little later this year. With luck, there will be a warmer tint emitter with a bit more punch than the currently offered 100 lumens.

Unless, of course Ra comes out with a new warm tint Twisty with a red low....

Last edited:

Max Brightness

Enlightened
That's awesome BigBluefish. I'm sure you will love it; I love mine.

If you find you could use a tweak of the default settings including the strobe, the crack does work as bigfoot suggested and is worth a try.

The Novatac 85T can be "cracked" to provide access to the hidden programming modes (see link):

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/213286

QUOTE]

All the best!