stinger mod??

ch4man

Newly Enlightened
well today i found the terralux tle st led upgrade for my 14 yr old stinger.

yes i was happy to finally find one.

then i read a bunch of reviews.. not many good.

is the terralux really that cheaply made??

does malkof or anyone else make a quality led drop in for an older stinger?

its like an old friend and id like to upgrade as opposed to replace.

thx......john

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
well today i found the terralux tle st led upgrade for my 14 yr old stinger.

yes i was happy to finally find one.

then i read a bunch of reviews.. not many good.

is the terralux really that cheaply made??

does malkof or anyone else make a quality led drop in for an older stinger?

its like an old friend and id like to upgrade as opposed to replace.

thx......john

I admit, I own one of these TerraLUX TLE-ST/XT LED Upgrade Kits for my old stinger.

First I'll start out with the good:
It literally doubled my runtime!
It nearly doubled my output!
Nice white smooth hotspot.

Now the Bad:
High Priced.
Will NOT take a direct drop to the face.

I had mine for almost 1 yr. and babied it. I did use it every night for work, and 10 other coworkers were convinced it was a great product and one hell of an upgrade for an old dying Stinger. BUT-- half of us have sent them back for warranty exchange. Of all of us who owned them, all of them that took a drop broke. Mine fell from 3-4 ft out of a van to the concrete. Terralux replaced it no questions asked, just filled out the form and mailed it back. The new one comes with a rubber bumper around the bezel, a shock absorber. It also appears the optic has a larger hole to not interfere with the Cree Ring.

They honor their warranty, and were very pleasant to deal with. I don't believe they are a bad company, they are trying to do the right thing, and make improvements to their products.

Here is an interesting article from Streamlight:
http://www.streamlight.com/news_let/09_q2/ub.html

Would I buy another, Yes, but would I use it if I was a police officer, No.
It's up to you. I hope I helped a little...

curtispdx

Enlightened
Would I buy another, Yes, but would I use it if I was a police officer, No.
It's up to you. I hope I helped a little...[/QUOTE]

I think that's good advice. I had one and thought it was awful but if you're intent on keeping it then it's probably the only option you have. (The one I had was broken on delivery and had to be returned.)

By the way, I really think you'd be much happier retiring the Stinger and moving on to something else that is upgradable.

Last edited:

ch4man

Newly Enlightened
thanks, thats what i wanted, an opinion from someone who has own one for real world experience.

im not a copper but do relie on a reliable light ( i'm a HVAC service tech). and need a light that can take a fall. isnt that one reason for moving up from incan to led??

years ago i did buy the HP upgrade and have the larger head.

has anyone tried the terralux led stingerHP upgrade? $20 or so might be worth a try.

curt, your right about upgrading. a big thing for me is a rechargable as i use my light as a tool on my job.. a charging cradle for the light as opposed to pulling the battery and charging separatly is big on my list. not many out there to chose from..

any suggestions???

SmithGW

Newly Enlightened
Thank you very much for the information. I was going to get one for my Stinger XT but this has put that idea to rest and probably saved me some money and aggravation.

curtispdx

Enlightened
curt, your right about upgrading. a big thing for me is a rechargable as i use my light as a tool on my job.. a charging cradle for the light as opposed to pulling the battery and charging separatly is big on my list. not many out there to chose from..

any suggestions???[/QUOTE]

I know that people like the charging cradles (you should see the wall in our locker room dedicated to them. It's just a fire waiting to happen...:eek:) but it is SO much easier just to carry a spare battery and swap it in as needed. The Stinger batteries are expensive and don't seem to last long, especially if the light is left in the charging cradle. My suggestion? A 6P (or clone) and one of the Malkoff's that he's got on special right now, M60L or LL, on primaries. It'll be just as bright or brighter, smaller, upgradeable, long run time, and tough as nails. Surefire batteries can be had for about $24 for a dozen and that'll probably last you a year.

Just my two cents. I'm sure that there are MANY other differing opinions...;)

curtispdx

Enlightened
Thank you very much for the information. I was going to get one for my Stinger XT but this has put that idea to rest and probably saved me some money and aggravation.

That's just MY opinion, I've seen posts where people have liked it. Take whatever I write with a grain of salt...;)

ch4man

Newly Enlightened

any suggestions???

I know that people like the charging cradles (you should see the wall in our locker room dedicated to them. It's just a fire waiting to happen...:eek:) but it is SO much easier just to carry a spare battery and swap it in as needed. The Stinger batteries are expensive and don't seem to last long, especially if the light is left in the charging cradle. My suggestion? A 6P (or clone) and one of the Malkoff's that he's got on special right now, M60L or LL, on primaries. It'll be just as bright or brighter, smaller, upgradeable, long run time, and tough as nails. Surefire batteries can be had for about $24 for a dozen and that'll probably last you a year.

Just my two cents. I'm sure that there are MANY other differing opinions...;)[/QUOTE]

all great points!... but the boss will only buy AA's and im a self admidted cheap skate:sssh:

but....... im still used to a incan stinger.if the usefull light of a modded 6p is long enough i may consider that option.

BTW, what are the choices for rechragables in a 6p body??

curtispdx

Enlightened
[

Just my two cents. I'm sure that there are MANY other differing opinions...;)[/QUOTE]

all great points!... but the boss will only buy AA's and im a self admidted cheap skate:sssh:

but....... im still used to a incan stinger.if the usefull light of a modded 6p is long enough i may consider that option.

BTW, what are the choices for rechragables in a 6p body??[/QUOTE]

Well, the M60LL will go around eight hours on a set of batteries, the M60L will do about four and a half. That's pretty darn impressive.

Lots of options regarding rechargeable batteries for the 6P; the easiest ones, I think, are the single 17670 or two 16340s. Seriously, though, if you're able to get four and half to eight hours of runtime, depending on which drop in you opted for, I'd skip the hassles of rechargeable lithium batteries.