From Nichia to Cree

mleroux

Newly Enlightened
Since 2005 I've been carrying a 1 x AA Nichia light in a horizontal leather pouch with magnetic flap opening, together with a Leatherman Wave I. This setup has been discreet and practical, and I wouldn't like to change it. I would, however, like to upgrade the light. Could you please help, O great ones? :D

I'll priority-list the criteria below:
  1. Size: Max length 100mm, max diameter 20mm (give or take a mm here and there)
  2. Mini lanyard strap: The two items are together in the pouch, so the strap acts as a barrier in between (although I like the idea of getting a removable, reversible clip as well, even as a third-party product)
  3. Battery: 1 x AA or 1 x CR123A (although I'm leaning towards AA/14500)
  4. High output, brightness and battery use digitally regulated, fairly water-resistant, all the usual...
  5. I'm also not part of the bleeding-edge fraternity, but I do appreciate good quality and technology
  6. Able to get it with free worldwide shipping: I am located in South Africa
So the following have caught my attention in my efforts to gather info:
  • EagleTac P10A
  • NiteCore D10 SP
  • Zebralight SC50w
  • Tank007 TK-737 (twist focus head; is this a gimmick?), TK-566, M10, M20, HC-316
I know the first three brands are well respected and I believe the Tank007 brand is considerably cheaper, but how do the price/value ratios between the big-brand names and the 'lower-end' brand names such as Tank007 match up in real-world terms? I'm asking because (a) the list above does not represent my only options; please tell me if you have any other recommendations (b) there is an overwhelming amount of options out there! and (c) I don't want to pay a fortune for a light where I won't see the value for money... does that make sense?

shortstack

Enlightened
I own the EeagleTac P10A have used it for non work edc, i love it, simple 2 modes, forward clicky, and tail stand (which will really help it not turn on while sitting with it your pocket). I think the P10A is definitely great for the value plus they have a lifetime original owner warranty.

I haven't used Tank but i have a Romisen and Akoray, for the most part they work real well, every once in a while they wont turn on for some reason, plus usually more expensive lights have better drivers.

You should be able to mod your flashlight whether its easy or not, you might have to change the reflector and maybe the driver.

Here is a good site to look at http://light-reviews.com/reviews.html