Pocket sized light that runs on 18650s??

boxerdog23

Newly Enlightened
Does this light exist? Heres the deal, I need a true pocket size light to compliment my main flashlight and my jetbeam III M thats on my duty belt. What I am looking for is a flashlight that runs on 18650s as they are interchangeable with my jetbeam which is a nice option. One is none, two is one and three is two.

Also it would be handy in my active shooter bag, which is deployed in shooting situations that warrant carrying a very small amount of select gear.

Suggestions?

David18

Newly Enlightened
I am also interested in such a light. In my case I would be interested in a light that is, perhaps, only 30% longer than the cell.

David18

bedazzLED

Enlightened
Have a look at the JetBeam Jet-III PRO ST BVC. It's not too much longer than the battery and is a great torch. Plenty of output, and a good EDC.

Then there is the MG L-Mini II which is not much bigger than the battery and a great torch. Also has the option of a turbo head for extra throw.

I don't think that you will get much smaller 18650 based torches than the above two.

Moving up just a little in size you have the 4Sevens Quark with an 18650 tube. Can't go wrong with these.

And one of my favorites torches, but slightly bigger than the others already mentioned, the MG PLI. Even though it's bigger it's still very pocketable. This puts out a massive amount of light and it can run 18650 and 123's. Shiningbeam.com is currently working on an SST-50 based MG PLI out soon.

Hope this helps.

bandersnatch

Newly Enlightened
A couple benefits of the MG L-Mini II are its perfect regulation (high doesn't drop until the end, when it goes to low for a few minutes before going dark completely) and its small size. I'm not aware of anything smaller in the 18650 category, but it is more than 30% larger than the battery:

AW 2600 flattop: ~2.6 in.
MG L-Mini II: ~4.5 in.
Quark 18650: ~5.5 in.

travelinman

Enlightened
I EDC my Olight M20 with an 18650, sans cigar grip and front bezel (it's sharp) when I go out at night. It sits in my "custom" jeans pocket. :sssh:

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Lumapower Encore is a nice light and smaller than the ones already mentioned. It is really small for a 18650 light.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also highly suggest the JetBeam Jet-III PRO ST BVC. It runs on 18650's, cr123's, and rcr123's. Only 120mm/4.75" long, and very bright. It has 3 user definable outputs. If you are familiar with the JETBeam brand you will be very happy with this light. I have one and carry it with me every day.

Dsc01560.jpg

25 feet from the fence on high
JET-lllProST.jpg

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened
I have a Jet III ST and the L-mini II. Both are perfect EDC pocket lights, but the L-mini is quite a bit smaller and I agree as above that it has the most perfect regulation and function I could imagine.

EDIT: Pictures

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
All are my favorite slim 18650 titanium flashlights, and all were sold out.
Look forward to the XP-G R5 version :D
04_M.jpg

Thre_18650e_M-1.jpg

06_M.jpg

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
L-Mini and Lumapower Encore sound like the compact 18650 lights that you need.

If you want a thrower, the Encore now comes with internal optics for more throw.

Last edited:

juplin

Enlightened
What Ti lights are those and is that a bronze looking finish or just camera playing tricks. They looks like slippery little devils.
My SST-50 Ti flashlight is surface treated with satin finish.
Reviewing my illumination condition in photographing again, a 2700K warm white lamp was hung in the left corner.
When the warm white light projected on the left surface of the Ti flashlight, fine pitches of the satin finish acting as grating will induce interference fringe, that is the "magic" effect we can view on the left surface of the Ti flashlight shown in my first picture.

Interestingly, If the 2700K warm white lamp is replaced with cool white lamp, the interference fringe will diminish or even disappear, that's a hint of wavelength related effect.
This finding is just FYI.;)

csa

Enlightened
Some good options here guys, I'm definitely going to have to look into these more. Rechargeable EDC pocket lights make a whole lotta sense.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Look at the MGL Mini II on Shining Beam's website. Bout as small as the 18650 gets.

Yep, not bad at all.:twothumbs I got the 'thrower head' for mine, easy to EDC with 2 levels.

Check out the SGT Burkett. a tough, simple , performer about as small as you'll find for 18650. it's a twisty with only one level, but you can get one with just about any colour LED you want. Ive been thinking about buying a third Sgt Burkett in warm white
It will light up a room, bouncing off ceiling onto walls when tailstanding.

bandersnatch

Newly Enlightened
The Lumapower Encore is a nice light and smaller than the ones already mentioned. It is really small for a 18650 light.

According to selfbuilt's review of the Encore and my trusty ruler, the L-Mini II is actually slightly more than one millimeter shorter than the Encore. But the Encore is about a millimeter more narrow.

Another thing that may be worth considering is that according to selfbuilt the Encore won't run AW's 2600 mAh flat tops, while the L-Mini II will. On the other hand, the Encore will run two RCR123s, while that's not recommended for the L-Mini II.

Alan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wait for Zebralight SC60. It would be around 3.7'' long. I believe it would be the smallest 18650 driven light for a while not to mention its good efficient driver.

Alan