Quark AA² + NiteCore headband == ?

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased an AA² (XP-G R5) and would like it to double as a makeshift headlamp. I've been waiting for the AA based ZLs to come out and it doesn't seem like they are going to on time (need it by March 24th).

Since I don't want to shell out another 70$ for a headlamp I don't want (PT EOS is AAA, h501w is all flood), i thought about getting a 10$ nitecore headband and using that w/the Quark. Can someone with both please post if this setup is somewhat usable? I'm not going night hiking, just need it for around the camp. Want to know if it a) fits in the rings b) doesn't wobble too much.

BTW, i bought the fenix diffuser tip and it fits quite snugly on the quark :thumbsup: extremely usable.

Last edited:

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, Eagle245, but I am worried that the Quark Prism will have the same issue with the AA²; i.e. the flashlight is too long for a headband full stop, regardless of whether it's a quark prism or nitecore. I opted for the nitecore because it's cheaper (10$ shipped vs. 20$ shipped).

I thought about getting an AA body for my AA² (for trips) but it's 20$. Along with the prism or nitecore HB i am in the 30-40$ area... might as well shell out for the ZL H501.

If anyone has an AA², I'd appreciate if they could share whether attaching it to a headband is somewhat comfortable.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I thought about getting an AA body for my AA² (for trips) but it's 20$. Along with the prism or nitecore HB i am in the 30-40$ area... might as well shell out for the ZL H501.
Or might as well buy a quark 123 R2 or AA R2 and get free headband and prism...............

If anyone has an AA², I'd appreciate if they could share whether attaching it to a headband is somewhat comfortable.
I have a couple of Quark AA2's (and a bunch of others too) and prism kits and frankly the longest torch I've managed to fit to the Quark headband that didn't flop around was the single AA but usually when I use the headband I use a 123 tube fitted to one of my AA2 heads. Maybe the nitecore band has a more stable system, I haven't seen it.

Pavius

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the input. Just out of curiosity, where do you see the free prism kit when buying R2s? I just looked at the 4sevens catalogue and didn't see anything of that nature.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Free prism kit is listed on their home page announcements under "january 4".

The last two R2's I bought came automatically with the kit, I didn't need to input a code or anything else.

idlejam

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a AA2 r2 this past weekend and it still comes with the free prism kit. I've not received it yet, but it was advertised on their page and on the shipping invoice. I'll certainly post again if it's not there when the package arrives :p

jankj

Enlightened
i thought about getting a 10$ nitecore headband and using that w/the Quark. Can someone with both please post if this setup is somewhat usable? I'm not going night hiking, just need it for around the camp. Want to know if it a) fits in the rings b) doesn't wobble too much.

The D10 headband is the best headband of this kind I know of. But frankly, even this headband is inferior to a dedicated headlamp. But it works.

The straps on the sides will take both 1*AA and 2*AA lights, but I find that anything bigger than 1*AA is uncomfortable.

The best place for a 2*AA light is on the top strap. You have two loops there, and use both to make it less woobly. I've tried this just ONCE, but found it to work OK for light use. It is not good enough for running, though. Once you start bouncing up and down the light starts to wooble. Not a big problem, just a nuisance. Fine, however, for walking and light chores.