5mW Green Laser DX?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's just no getting away from DX I guess. I ordered a 5mW Green Laser Pointer for $38 from a company in Calif. figuring that I would get it faster and that it would be a better quality laser than something from DX.

I received it quickly. I just got it today but it doesn't work at all and now that I can physically look at it I can see that it is exactly the same laser as the 5mW Green Laser Pointer on Dx for $10.

I sent it back for a full refund and just gave in to the inevitable and ordered two from DX. At least one should work and it will still be cheaper. What's the point of sending things back and forth and paying 4 times as much when it's still no better a product?

When you charge $40 for a $10 product you would think you could at least verify that it's works before sending it out.

What is the deal with the restriction of <5mW for laser pointers? I see more powerful models for sale...what gives?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
If your willing to spend $40 on a 5mW green laser, then your best off with buying from Wicked Lasers

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wicked-Lasers-5...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2ea63829dc

Or if you want 10x the power for almost half the cost, with decent build quality, than get a 50mW from LEDshoppe

http://ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1076.htm

Or if dont have much cash and you still want a 50mW, then buy the $15 50mW... Doesnt have a gaurenteed long life span, but it will definently get some inexpensive ooo's and aww's from your friends

http://www.focalprice.com/LP115B/50mW_532nm_Green_Laser_Pointer_Black.html

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone had problems with customs regarding lasers more powerful than 5mW?

Also, when using a laser greater than 5mW do you have to use eye googles for IR protection?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of lasers. Never have I had a problem with customs. If you want to be sure, order one that does NOT include batteries. Batteries is what customs look for in packages.

And I would honestly not recommend buying laser shades or laser goggles, whatever you want to call them. If they come with the laser, thats great. Honestly, they would only be useful in situations where you are burning things in close quarters and your staring at the dot for a prolonged period of time. And to burn things you would have to have AT LEAST a 100mW.

Also another thing to consider is the large amount of invisible IR that is dumped into the beam. 99% of chinease green laser pointers and full of IR, IR is dangerous to your eyes.

All in all, I wouldn't buy laser shades unless I had a >100mW green laser.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of lasers. Never have I had a problem with customs. If you want to be sure, order one that does NOT include batteries. Batteries is what customs look for in packages.

And I would honestly not recommend buying laser shades or laser goggles, whatever you want to call them. If they come with the laser, thats great. Honestly, they would only be useful in situations where you are burning things in close quarters and your staring at the dot for a prolonged period of time. And to burn things you would have to have AT LEAST a 100mW.

Also another thing to consider is the large amount of invisible IR that is dumped into the beam. 99% of chinease green laser pointers and full of IR, IR is dangerous to your eyes.

All in all, I wouldn't buy laser shades unless I had a >100mW green laser.

Given your comments about IR why would you not get something that would filter out IR?

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
Given your comments about IR why would you not get something that would filter out IR?
Green lasers also release 808 and 1064nm IR, which should be filtered for safety.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened

lol, i guess I worded it wrong. If you are buying a 5mW green laser pointer, than I wouldnt worry about IR at all. There is so little of it that it wont really do anything. I would only get laser shades if the laser is >100mW.

Also, i cant even find a 5mW with an IR filter, I doubt they even exist (except for Wicked Lasers, there always IR filtered).

Lasernerd

Enlightened
The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Sh
lol, i guess I worded it wrong. If you are buying a 5mW green laser pointer, than I wouldnt worry about IR at all. There is so little of it that it wont really do anything. I would only get laser shades if the laser is >100mW.

Also, i cant even find a 5mW with an IR filter, I doubt they even exist (except for Wicked Lasers, there always IR filtered).

With any laser protective goggles should be worn