Klarus        
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: 5mW Green Laser DX?

  1. #1
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA
    Posts
    2,473

    Default 5mW Green Laser DX?

    There's just no getting away from DX I guess. I ordered a 5mW Green Laser Pointer for $38 from a company in Calif. figuring that I would get it faster and that it would be a better quality laser than something from DX.

    I received it quickly. I just got it today but it doesn't work at all and now that I can physically look at it I can see that it is exactly the same laser as the 5mW Green Laser Pointer on Dx for $10.

    I sent it back for a full refund and just gave in to the inevitable and ordered two from DX. At least one should work and it will still be cheaper. What's the point of sending things back and forth and paying 4 times as much when it's still no better a product?

    When you charge $40 for a $10 product you would think you could at least verify that it's works before sending it out.

    What is the deal with the restriction of <5mW for laser pointers? I see more powerful models for sale...what gives?

  2. #2
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    If your willing to spend $40 on a 5mW green laser, then your best off with buying from Wicked Lasers

    http://cgi.ebay.com/Wicked-Lasers-5m...item2ea63829dc

    Or if you want 10x the power for almost half the cost, with decent build quality, than get a 50mW from LEDshoppe

    http://ledshoppe.com/Product/ledp/LP1076.htm

    Or if dont have much cash and you still want a 50mW, then buy the $15 50mW... Doesnt have a gaurenteed long life span, but it will definently get some inexpensive ooo's and aww's from your friends


    http://www.focalprice.com/LP115B/50m...ter_Black.html

  3. #3
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    Has anyone had problems with customs regarding lasers more powerful than 5mW?

    Also, when using a laser greater than 5mW do you have to use eye googles for IR protection?

  4. #4
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of lasers. Never have I had a problem with customs. If you want to be sure, order one that does NOT include batteries. Batteries is what customs look for in packages.

    And I would honestly not recommend buying laser shades or laser goggles, whatever you want to call them. If they come with the laser, thats great. Honestly, they would only be useful in situations where you are burning things in close quarters and your staring at the dot for a prolonged period of time. And to burn things you would have to have AT LEAST a 100mW.

    Also another thing to consider is the large amount of invisible IR that is dumped into the beam. 99% of chinease green laser pointers and full of IR, IR is dangerous to your eyes.

    All in all, I wouldn't buy laser shades unless I had a >100mW green laser.

  5. #5
    Flashaholic*
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Seattle,WA
    Posts
    2,473

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfTacular View Post
    I have ordered thousands of dollars worth of lasers. Never have I had a problem with customs. If you want to be sure, order one that does NOT include batteries. Batteries is what customs look for in packages.

    And I would honestly not recommend buying laser shades or laser goggles, whatever you want to call them. If they come with the laser, thats great. Honestly, they would only be useful in situations where you are burning things in close quarters and your staring at the dot for a prolonged period of time. And to burn things you would have to have AT LEAST a 100mW.

    Also another thing to consider is the large amount of invisible IR that is dumped into the beam. 99% of chinease green laser pointers and full of IR, IR is dangerous to your eyes.

    All in all, I wouldn't buy laser shades unless I had a >100mW green laser.
    Given your comments about IR why would you not get something that would filter out IR?

  6. #6

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    Given your comments about IR why would you not get something that would filter out IR?
    Green lasers also release 808 and 1064nm IR, which should be filtered for safety.

  7. #7
    Flashaholic* SmurfTacular's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    706

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    Quote Originally Posted by gcbryan View Post
    Given your comments about IR why would you not get something that would filter out IR?
    lol, i guess I worded it wrong. If you are buying a 5mW green laser pointer, than I wouldnt worry about IR at all. There is so little of it that it wont really do anything. I would only get laser shades if the laser is >100mW.

    Also, i cant even find a 5mW with an IR filter, I doubt they even exist (except for Wicked Lasers, there always IR filtered).

  8. #8
    Flashaholic* Lasernerd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Great Pacific Northwest,home of the Goonies,Short Circuit
    Posts
    724

    Default Re: 5mW Green Laser DX?

    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfTacular View Post
    lol, i guess I worded it wrong. If you are buying a 5mW green laser pointer, than I wouldnt worry about IR at all. There is so little of it that it wont really do anything. I would only get laser shades if the laser is >100mW.

    Also, i cant even find a 5mW with an IR filter, I doubt they even exist (except for Wicked Lasers, there always IR filtered).
    With any laser protective goggles should be worn
    KES LASER Light shows for a long time!.MS R&D Retired

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •