Anyone know anything about Linux?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Because if you do, you would be the nicest person in the WORLD to help me out here.

Long story short, last semester I missed the second to last day of school. On that day the instructor gave out the final (the only test in the class). I missed it. So about a month later I check my grade and my grade was "IF". I was like wtf... so I emailed my teacher and he said I need to submit this test. Problem is I knew literally nothing about linux when i took the class, and I barely knew anything after the class.

I would do anything for you guys to help me, even money through paypal. Please dont see this as spam.

Part two of the Final will be posted on BlackBoard and emailed to everyone by this
weekend.

QUESTION 1
Which of the following file system types causes the least impact when upgrading an Ext2
file system?

A. Ext3
B. ReiserFS
C. JFS
D. XFS
E. VFS
QUESTION 2

In the past what has been (and still is for many releases) the most popular file system
choice?
A. ext2
B. bsdf
C. jfs
D. ext3

QUESTION 3

You have a Linux system with a 100GB ext2 partition containing large amounts of data.
To minimize the boot time, you decide to convert it to a journaling filesystem.
Which journaling file system would be easiest to convert the partition to (without
destroying existing data)?

A. resiserfs
B. vfat
C. ext3
D. xfs
QUESTION 4

Assuming that your system is not configured to display the current directory in either
terminal or the run command and you need to find out the name of the current working
directory. What command or tool should you invoke?

A. whoami
B. curr
C. file
D. pwd
E. dir
QUESTION 5

What two things does the /etc/fstab file contain references to?

A. File Systems
B. Mount Points
C. User Options
D. File System Defaults
E. File System Permissions
QUESTION 6
How many Primary Partitions can the standard Linux system support?
A. 1
B. 2
C. 4
D. 8
QUESTION 7

What type of Linux partition is one with the designation "82".

A. Root
B. Primary
C. Swap
D. Extended

QUESTION 8

What is Journaling?
A. A way of channeling data to the processor.
B. A new way of converting data to the assembly level.
C. System management techniques to layer channels of data threading.
D. A method used in many of the newer partition types to keep track of file locations for
faster recovery.

QUESTION 9

What run level represents basic GUI multi-user?
A. 1
B. 2
Fundamentals of Linux - CIS A109, Fall 2009, FINAL Part 1
Due: 15, December 2009, in person
C. 3
D. 4
E. 5

QUESTION 10

When you create a new file, the permissions show as 654. Assuming the normal mode
setting what value is the umask likely set at?
A. 0012
B. 0002
C. 0123
D. 0022

QUESTION 11

You want to view a listing of previously entered commands. What command would you
use?
A. hist
B. histfile
C. showbuff
D. history
E. whatshapnd

QUESTION 12

Which of the following are executed ONLY during a Login session
A. /etc/profile
B. /etc/bashrc
C. ~/.bashrc
D. ~/.bash_profile
E. ~/.bash_logout

QUESTION 13

Where would you find the first IDE drive in a system?
A. /dev/hda
B. /dev/sda
C. /sys/hda
D. /sys/sda

QUESTION 14

Which of the partition systems listed use journaling? Choose all that apply.
A. ext2
B. ext3
C. ReiserFS
D. XFS
E. JFS
F. VFAT

QUESTION 15

Permissions in Linux are based upon a 10 letter design called the three triplets. Now three
triplets equal nine, so what is the 10th character used for?
A. Defines the umask.
B. UID of the files owner.
C. Identifies what type of object the permissions are relating to.
D. Specifies which set of rights are dominate.

QUESTION 16

What file does init processes use as its control file?
a.
/etc/proc
b.
/etc/inittab
c.
/etc/initproc
d.
/etc/init

QUESTION 17

Which of the following directories would be the least likely to need backing up? Choose
Two.
A. /usr
B. /etc
C. /home
D. /tmp
E. /swap

QUESTION 18

Which of the following will copy file1.txt to file2.txt? Choose Two.
A. cat file1.txt > file2.txt
B. cat file1.txt | file2.txt
C. cp file1.txt > file2.txt
D. cp file1.txt file2.txt
E. cpio < file1.txt > file2.txt

QUESTION 19

You need to display all files in the current directory that start with a "t" and end with a
"b", regardless of their length or use of delimiters. Choose the best answer.
A. ls t*b
B. ls t.b
C. ls t-b
D. ls [t-b]

QUESTION 20

You want to view the top 20 lines of a file which switch with the command "head" would
allow you to do this.
A. -top20
B. –n20
C. –t20
D. –u20

QUESTION 21

You have partitioned your hard drive into nine segments. Which of these can be logical
partitions.
A. 3-9
B. 4-9
C. 5-9
D. None of above
E. All of them

QUESTION 22

What option can be used with the shutdown command give users 5 minutes and warning
message alerting users that the system will be shut down?
A. shutdown 300
B. shutdown 5
C. shutdown -300w
D. shutdown -5w

QUESTION 23

What option can be used with the shutdown command to cancel a pending shutdown?
A. shutdown -u
B. shutdown -x
C. shutdown -n
D. shutdown -c

QUESTION 24

Which program will allow you to change the priority of a program already running?
A. top
B. nice
C. niceit
D. renice
E. chnice

QUESTION 25

What daemon controls the syslog?
A. syslog
B. syslogd
C. logd
D. sys

QUESTION 26

What command be used to find the systems previous run level?
A. runlevel
B. level
C. rlevel previous
D. show level previous

If anyone can answer ANY of these, that would be AMAZING

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
I'm not sure of the ethical and moral implications of giving you some answers, it seems to me that this is a test and it's purpose is to test your knowledge of the linux operating system.

But I do suggest Googling some of the questions. The answers are fairly easy to find.

You may also want to login to a linux system via SSH and try some of these commands to see if they're valid ;-)

_Shawn_

Newly Enlightened
Just took the test. 'man' that, was fun.

I got a 95%. Used Google to check my answers. Then scored 100%.

Thanks.

:poke:

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
That was easy enough... however, you gain nothing by having us do the test for you... you're just cheating yourself.

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Problem is I knew literally nothing about linux when i took the class, and I barely knew anything after the class.
I also see a problem here. I don't think you should pass a test if you still know nothing about the test subject material after "sitting" the test.

I would do anything ...
Like quickly researching the answers? :) Give it a go; learn something on the way.

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I'm not sure of the ethical and moral implications of giving you some answers, it seems to me that this is a test and it's purpose is to test your knowledge of the linux operating system.

But I do suggest Googling some of the questions. The answers are fairly easy to find.

You may also want to login to a linux system via SSH and try some of these commands to see if they're valid ;-)

Thanks for the advice, but unfortunately I cant boot linux. Every time it attempts it just restarts and its driving me crazy. And google hasn't helped much either.

And I get your guy's side of the argument, If I cant complete it myself, then I shouldn't pass. I guess I'll give google a 2nd chance. Its really hard for me considering I cant boot linux :(

Whatever, thanks though :)

Max_Power

Enlightened
Something tells me you missed more than the one day of class.

Trying to get someone else to take the test for you defeats the purpose of taking the class. The intention of this class was to get some basics into your head for the next class to build on. Without the foundation to build on, you are going to find it very difficult to comprehend the next class.

Using Google to find the answers still seems like cheating (yourself), but at least you will know how to look stuff up. And with luck, maybe you'll learn something in the process.

Popsiclestix

Newly Enlightened
Using Google to find the answers still seems like cheating (yourself), but at least you will know how to look stuff up. And with luck, maybe you'll learn something in the process.

I'm not sure if looking on Google is cheating himself really. I wouldn't know half the answers to this unless I looked it up and I've been using Gentoo for 3-4 years now. The first couple of questions seems to be a history lessons (really? who even cares about ext2 anymore unless you're working IT at some company still on ext2). When I need to look up a command it's a quick trip to "man <command>" followed by Google if that fails me (or the information is a bit dense)

It's not like you have to sit there for more than 2-3 minutes to figure out the answer to each of these questions.

But of course, hands-on experience is the best way to internalize all this material, and something tells me that this was an operating systems course and he somehow managed to get all the way to the final without learning the command to get the name of the current working directory (Question 4)

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I'm not sure if looking on Google is cheating himself really. I wouldn't know half the answers to this unless I looked it up and I've been using Gentoo for 3-4 years now. The first couple of questions seems to be a history lessons (really? who even cares about ext2 anymore unless you're working IT at some company still on ext2). When I need to look up a command it's a quick trip to "man <command>" followed by Google if that fails me (or the information is a bit dense)

It's not like you have to sit there for more than 2-3 minutes to figure out the answer to each of these questions.

But of course, hands-on experience is the best way to internalize all this material, and something tells me that this was an operating systems course and he somehow managed to get all the way to the final without learning the command to get the name of the current working directory (Question 4)

This was literally the only actually assignment. The only other grades where based on participation. (and a few quiz's after guest speakers). But that was it.

And I'll plead guilty for missing more then one day :oops:
I took the class in hopes of learning how to use Linux, but it seemed as though everyone in the course already knew a lot about linux, so the instructor just jumped right into the advanced stuff...

KD5XB

Enlightened
The only thing I know about Linux is that I tried it once and it was confusing as he||! :green:

carrot

Flashaholic
have you tried booting a live linux cd ?
This. The new Ubuntu CD's are an excellent live environment, although for your needs all you have to use is a simple distro like Damn Small Linux. If your computer is powerful enough, you can just run Damn Small Linux in a QEMU window (type of virtual machine) on your Windows machine, and then you can do at least half of this yourself with ease.

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
I think that the main point to be taken from this thread is as Max_Power said:

"The intention of this class was to get some basics into your head for the next class to build on. Without the foundation to build on, you are going to find it very difficult to comprehend the next class."

This is true of every class, and it's why you should never take a class just to pass it. They provide the background and context for understanding related subjects.

The last time I attended college classes the students were clearly divided into several groups, with most just there to pass the course and get the credits. They struggled because they had done the same with the prerequisites, so were not prepared for the course material.

To the OP: If you can not pass the test, then it's time to take the course again and pay closer attention this time. If you can't learn it, then it may be time to assess your background or course choices.

Daniel

gadget_lover

Flashaholic
QUESTION 26

What command be used to find the systems previous run level?
A. runlevel
B. level
C. rlevel previous
D. show level previous

E. who -r (works on all posix compliant UNIX derivations)

Assuming that your system is not configured to display the current directory in either
terminal or the run command and you need to find out the name of the current working
directory. What command or tool should you invoke?

A. whoami
B. curr
C. file
D. pwd
E. dir

F. echo $PWD

Thirty years ago I was taught that there are a dozen ways to go just about anything in Unix, and that most of them are perfectly acceptable.

Daniel

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
This was literally the only actually assignment. The only other grades where based on participation. (and a few quiz's after guest speakers). But that was it.

you mean it was the only assignment for a grade. there is still no excuse for not participating in the recommended coursework and reading assignments, even if it was not explicitly for a grade.

And I'll plead guilty for missing more then one day

you mean like just about all of them?? :whistle:

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been in spots where I didn't know the answers, too. But as both a student and educator, I feel like there is something very wrong about this. Just my two pennies.

luckybucket

Newly Enlightened
I actually loaded Linux on a third computer just for fun. The learning curve is as steep as I thought it would be, but I love it so far.

h_nu

Enlightened
I could probably answer most of these without ever having taken a course. All I do is play. :)

Before you retake the course, research live CDs (start at Distrowatch). Several small versions will run in RAM as well as from the CD. Try a few.

Get Moba Live CD. It will run a small iso file of the live CD from within Windows so you can use Linux like a program in Windows. It's a front end to QEMU and it will even run from a flash drive.

Get Virtual Box and install Linux into a virtual machine. That will give you practice with the install procedure.

Plan your next attempt now and ask questions during the course. Someone in the class would probably like to help.

Last edited: